Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your first ballglove

Your first ballglove

What brand was your first ballglove?

When did you get it?

Who gave it to you?

Any special story behind it?

My first was a McGreggor but I don't know the model. I don't remember how I got it but I think my folks got it at a garage sale or something. It was in so-so shape and worked for youth league ball.

I think I still have it out in the gargage.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Your first ballglove

Great thread.

I started playing when I was 5 in a coach-pitch league... I skipped Tee-Ball, I guess just because I was so good(lol). My mom took me to the store and let me pick out my own glove and being a normal 5 year old, as soon as I saw the green and yellow Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles glove, I knew that was the one for me.

I wish I still had it, but it fell apart and I got a real glove a few years later.

My glove was an old Rawlings that my older brother had used for years. It was so broken in and the leather was worn, but that glove got a LOT of use out of it. It held up better than the $175 firstbaseman mitt I got in high school.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

...is nailed to the wall in my basement.

A Paul Blair model Wilson; given to me from my dad, who passed away last fall.

I've had 3 or 4 gloves since that little mitt; but that's the only one I have saved

A Regent from the Hardware Store that my dad worked at. My first "real" ballglove was a Rawlings "basket web" model that I truly loved. I believe I slept with that glove for a solid year. Bought it with the money I earned mowing my grandmother's yard for a summer. I love baseball gloves. Just bought my son a really nice Rawings glove. (Heart of the Hide) We are in the "break-in" process right now. Going to take a while. Love the way a new ball glove smells.

My first glove was a Louisville Slugger Graig Nettles signature model. I used that one through most of my youth, up until high school when the web fell apart. Then I got a Rawlings Dale Murphy model, which I still have today. I thing Rawlings still uses the same design for the Ken Griffey, Jr. signature model today.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

A Bobby Knoop Rawlings glove. Man, I LOVED that Glove.
    Had like a Star Pocket instead of the usual webbing.

It was stolen unfortunately and I traded "up" to a Roberto Clemente.

I still miss that Bobby Knoop glove. If I found it on eBay, I'd buy it.

(Post 3000 whoo-hoo)

Googled Bobby Knoop and here is the glove

Last edited by oneupper; 09-03-2006 at 10:33 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

My first ball glove was a Warren Spahn authograph model from Hutch. Got it in grade school and used it until I got married in 1981, just a little dinky thing, the glove was. I got it about 1965 and only played one year of organized ball because I had asthma and they didn't have inhalers back then. I was the proverbial peewee right fielder. That Peter Paul & Mary song was written for me. I only got on base once because the catcher dropped the third strike. I love that rule!

I finally got a new Mizuno glove from my in-laws which I used until my "retirement" from softball about five or six years ago. I used it since then tossing with my son in the front yard.

One year Warren Spahn came to town for an old timers game. I stood by the dugout for a long while trying to get his autograph, but alas, it didn't happen. I loved that leg kick!

I think this is an earlier model.

Last edited by redsmetz; 09-03-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    ...is nailed to the wall in my basement.

A Paul Blair model Wilson; given to me from my dad, who passed away last fall.

I've had 3 or 4 gloves since that little mitt; but that's the only one I have saved
    When my wife moved here and we started dating, she had a Paul Blair autograph model. I think he played here her first year here. Then our kids went to school with a with that name, so she had his glove.

You will laugh at this one...My first glove I believe was a Rawlings but I know it was a none other than Royce Clayton signature model. I guess that's about right because I turned out to be a light hitting, slick fielding infielder.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember whose signature was on my first glove, if any. I do believe it was a Rawlings. What I do remember quite clearly was that it was red. Once I saw that they had a glove made out of red leather, there was no other choice to be made.

My second glove was a Wilson A2000 XL. I remember that one distinctly because it's still downstairs in my bag, although it has been retired for a few years.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I got some cheapo fake leather job that I used in tee ball. I still have that thing but its hard as a rock and im afraid to touch it because its so brittle.

My favorite glove is a brand new professionally tailored glove Jalal Leach gave me when I worked for the Clippers back in '95 i think. Its a sweet glove.

My first glove was a MacGregor and I can't remember who the signature on it was from either...I gave it to one of my friends kids almost 20 yeaers ago.

I was 6 years old and from the time I was 6 to the time I was 17 when I had to stop playing baseball I only played SS.

The glove was given to me by my father and mother and I remember going with them to buy it at Service Merchandise on West Broad Street in Columbus, OH.

We had to do it after my dad got home from work and I can remember laboring over chooseing between the MacGregor or a Louisville Slugger glove...which I really didn't want because THEY MAKE BATS....WOW!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

My first glove, and the one I still use is the Rawlings Basket Web model mentioned above. I love the thing and wouldn't part with it for anything else. I'm a right-hander, but oddly the glove is an autograph model of lefty Steve Carlton.

I have no idea where my dad bought it, but I remember picking it out amongst all the other gloves. It felt the best and had a spot for your index finger to go outside of the normal finger hole. I probably got it sometime in the early '80s.
    Last edited by OesterPoster; 09-04-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Only glove I specifically remember was an RBG36 Dale Murphy signature model. Used it all the way through high school. Got to college and caught so much hell for the shape it was in that I got a new one. I still have it (the old one) and use it whenever I play softball.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 09-04-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?