Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlins break 107 year record today

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Marlins break 107 year record today

The Marlins today did something that has not been done in 107 years. They now have a .500 record after being down 20 games under .500. This is even more spectacular considering they have the lowest payroll in MLB. Like 15 million for the entire 25 man roster. If Girardi is not manager of the year in the NL, they should stop giving out the award. This is a perfect example of how important pitching is in baseball.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins break 107 year record today

Amazing thing is, Girardi could be given the MOTY award shortly after being fired.

I'd love to have him in Cincy
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

They always do the rebuilding right.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    They always do the rebuilding right.
    When you're doing it every other year you're bound to get it down! It has to be tough being a Marlin fan when you can't really get attached to any of the players because when they succeed, management doesn't want to pay them.

Every year you have to re-memorize who is on the roster.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-04-2006 at 05:44 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When you're doing it every other year you're bound to get it down! It has to be tough being a Marlin fan when you can't really get attached to any of the players because when they succeed, management doesn't want to pay them.

Since the Marlins came into the league, 22 teams have not won a World Series. The Marlins have WON two. I don't feel too sorry for their fans.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Get some good kids and play them. Sounds like a winning formula.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

They now have a .500 record after being down 20 games under .500.
    And what happened to the team that did it the one time before?

They were contracted... hmmmm Deja Vu.

The Marlins, IMO, are the second best team in the NL only behind the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Since the Marlins came into the league, 22 teams have not won a World Series. The Marlins have WON two. I don't feel too sorry for their fans.
    I understand that; but when they somehow build a winner (that could be around for a few years), the owner IMMEDIATELY breaks the team up because he doesn't want to pay them.

You should have 2-3 players as a foundation that you try to build around. Their foundation is always shifting, and it always seems to be based on payroll considerations. 15 Mil? And half that goes to one kid! Kinda ridiculous IMO. Sooner or later it will catch up to them.

And reaching .500 in the NL THIS YEAR is nothing spectacular.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-04-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I understand that; but when they somehow build a winner (that could be around for a few years), the owner IMMEDIATELY breaks the team up because he doesn't want to pay them.

And reaching .500 in the NL THIS YEAR is nothing spectacular.
    Firstly, I think this time it might be different. In each of the last 2 years in which they won the world series, they were getting very expensive and had a number of players on the verge of FA. This time, they are still very cheap. There is no need to break up the team even if you want to go cheap.

And reaching .500 this year isn't any easier than any other year. Sure there's few teams with good records, but that just means that there's few really bad teams too. For every win there's a loss. Other than Pittsburg and Washington (and, I guess, the Cubs too), every team is close to .500. And even those teams aren't as bad as historically bad teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I'd love to have him in Cincy
    He'll be manning the Cubs' bench come Spring Training...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

yeah i would hate to have different players every few years and win world series and make the playoffs! that would be terrible; i'd rather have guys like Casey, Graves, Kearns, Dunn, Griffey, etc. that stay here for a few years at a time

Speculation is anyone close to arbitration eligible will be dealt away for more prospects after this season.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by butlerbulldogs View Post
    yeah i would hate to have different players every few years and win world series and make the playoffs! that would be terrible; i'd rather have guys like Casey, Graves, Kearns, Dunn, Griffey, etc. that stay here for a few years at a time
    Good job at basically twisting what I said or was trying to illustrate.

Turn Off Ads?