Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay or Go

Stay or Go

Since many think the season is over and others like me are bored waiting for the game on a Holiday. I thought I would try to get some opinions on next year's team. I have categorized the players based on how I see it. Obviously, the guys in the Back for Sure and Others I keep categories are "touchable" in the right deal (but can't really predict deals). The Trade Bait guys are guys who should be shopped or used as sweetener in deals involving others. Just trying to spur some discussion.

Back For Sure (14)
    Adam Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion, Aaron Harang, Brandon Phillips (at SS), Ryan Freel (as a Roving 80% of the time player), Bronson Arroyo, Scott Hatteberg (Just signed), Eric Milton (Stuck with him), Ken Griffey Jr (Stuck with him but in RF ), Javier Valentin (Just signed), Bill Bray (Trade Justification), Gary Majewski (Trade Justification), Rheal Cormier (probably Stuck), Todd Coffey

Others I'd Keep (5)
    Rich Aurilia (at a reasonable price as a roving 80% of the time player), Kyle Lohse (at 80% of current pay), David Weathers (on a deal same as this year), Brendon Harris, Brian Shackelford (cheap loogy)

Trade Bait
    David Ross (sell High), Jason Larue (Payflex), Matt Belisle, Jason Standridge, Elizardo Ramirez, Chris Denorfia (blasphemy I know), William Bergolla

Goodbye
    Kent Mercker, Juan Castro, Royce Clayton, Todd Hollandsworth, Scott Schoenweiss ( I like him but we are stuck with lots of lefties and can use the money elsewhere), Ryan Franklin, Paul Wilson, Chris Michalek, Joe Mays, Eddie Guardado

Injury Comebacks to Gamble With
    Grant Balfour, Brandon Claussen

Contributers from the Minors
    Rey Olmedo (In Castro's role), Homer Bailey (at mid-season), Joey Votto (at Mid-season), Probably one or more of several relievers that I don't know enough about (Shafer, Coutlangus, Medlock, etc).

I see a need at Starting Pitcher, Closer, CF (who has power, range and plays good defense) and maybe catcher but probably either Larue or Ross will be back. Although both Milton and Griffey are on bad contracts, I wouldn't just give them away for payflex (I would Larue). Even with the flaws they have, it would cost a lot to replace Griffey and even Milton.

Hatteberg and Aurilia are keepers while in contention and if they are playing well. Otherwise they move to the bench or could be traded with their roles going to Votto and Harris.

With the money going out and the new TV deal, there should be some money available to add some impact players. CF and Closer are probably more realistic than a starter who is an improvement and who will be worth the money.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-04-2006 at 11:39 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stay or Go

That's some awful trade bait (no offense).

I'd try to make the roster look as little like the current one as possible. I'd really think about cashing in Harang for younger, higher-ceiling arms (two, preferably). I'd trade Dunn for the same return. Then I'd bring up Votto and sign a couple FA bats.

I'd keep Arroyo because he's steady and cheap, and every team needs a guy who's a shoe-in to throw 200 innings.

Oh, and I'd eat Milton's contract and cut him.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-04-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd really think about cashing in Harang for younger, higher-ceiling arms (two, preferably). I'd trade Dunn for the same return. Then I'd bring up Votto and sign a couple FA bats.
    Whoa.

So you'd trade one of our only reliable starters for prospects (thus meaning we go back into "we'll be competitive in 5 years mode)"?

And then you'd trade away major portion of our offensive production again for prospects?

So you want to fire Kriv now becuase he hasn't produced (in your opinion), but you want the Reds to take a course of action that means that they likely woln't produce for a while.

I'm having a hard time following you here FCB.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-04-2006 at 12:14 PM.

That's some awful trade bait (no offense).
    I agree the trade bait is not very good. Obviously the whole team is trade bait in the right deal. Probably should have called it, guys I'd love to get something for instead of just getting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Whoa.

So you'd trade one of our only reliable starter for prospects (thus meaning we go back into "we'll be competitive in 5 years mode)"?

And then you'd trade away major portion of our offensive production again for prospects?

So you want to fire Kriv now becuase he hasn't produced (in your opinion), but you want the Reds to take a course of action that means that they likely woln't produce for a while.

I'm having a hard time following you here FCB.
    The Marlins are outproducing the Reds with kids and a rookie manager. I'm not concerned about a timeline as long as the arms coming back to the Reds are a) close to the majors and b) higher ceiling than Harang or Arroyo or anything else currently in the Reds system (which won't be difficult to trump).

And maybe in the next couple of years one or two of the system's arms can bolster the bullpen. So, no, I don't think I'm "setting the team back" in my formulation; if anything, I think I'm "speeding them up"; instead of playing the wait and see game with the current Reds "prospects" and the MLB arms we have. This ballclub needs an infusion of starters worse than any club in MLB--even after all of Krivsky's "tinkering." If you can get a starter and reliever for Harang, you do it.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-04-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm not concerned about a timeline as long as the arms coming back to the Reds are a) close to the majors and b) higher ceiling than Harang or Arroyo or anything else currently in the Reds system (which won't be difficult to trump).
    Ok, I'll continue to play along.

Which team out there is likely to (a) have two young, promising, on the verge of being almost-MLB ready arms and (2) be willing to give them up and (III) be willing to trade them for Harrang?

Without a trading partner that meets these requirements then your plan doesn't go very far.

It's definatley a radical plan. I can't imagine the freakout that would likely occur if Harrang was traded for two prospects, no matter how promissing they were.

I can't see trading either Arroyo or Harrang. They are two of the best the Reds have had in ages. I think the goal should be to add to them, not use them to build our 2009 staff. Find another guy that falls in line right behind them and then pray Bailey is all he is hpyed up to be and you've got a pretty good staff. Then your looking at a guy like Lohse, Milton or whomever as your fifth starter instead of using those names to fill out the top of your rotation.

Votto will depend on Richie Rich and Hatteberg. If they play anywhere near the way they have this year, bringing Votto up before September will be tough, unless you make a trade. That of course might be a good option, especially if the two vets continue their good play while Votto is Adam Dunning the door down. That would be ideal.

I'm also open to trading Ross. Love what the guy has brought to the team with his stick but I do not like his defense. I think we should go with Larue next year. You know he is going to be looking for redemption. I feel bad for the guy. The Reds are finally contending and he just can't get out of his funk. Maybe it is wishful thinking to believe he isn't toast but the same could be said for believing Ross will hit another 20ish dingers. Larue and Valentin were the most potent catcher combo in the NL last year. I don't give up on Jason. Especially when he is the only defensive catcher the Reds have.

It will be interesting to see what the Reds do at SS. That is the biggie for me. Maybe the Reds find a CF, move Junior to right, Freel to second and BP to SS. Rich could back up Freel and Edwin and get even more time at second when Freel was giving one of the OFers a day off.

So yeah, as far as the line-up goes, a CF might be all the Reds need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ok, I'll continue to play along.

Which team out there is likely to (a) have two young, promising, on the verge of being almost-MLB ready arms and (2) be willing to give them up and (III) be willing to trade them for Harrang?

Without a trading partner that meets these requirements then your plan doesn't go very far.

It's definatley a radical plan. I can't imagine the freakout that would likely occur if Harrang was traded for two prospects, no matter how promissing they were.
    I don't know, find the teams that fancy themselves a contender next year, and see what each of those clubs has in its minor league system and go from there.

The Marlins are outproducing the Reds with kids and a rookie manager.
    There are more teams outproducing the Reds with vets and vet managers. The Marlins example proves it can be done but it is not being done by anyone else.

And lets face it, if this was MarlinsZone, you and a lot of other folks would be saying we are only in the thing because the rest of the NL sucks. You'd tell us that if it were a normal year, our kids and stupid rookie manager would of been out of it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    There are more teams outproducing the Reds with vets and vet managers. The Marlins example proves it can be done but it is not being done by anyone else.

And lets face it, if this was MarlinsZone, you and a lot of other folks would be saying we are only in the thing because the rest of the NL sucks. You'd tell us that if it were a normal year, our kids and stupid rookie manager would of been out of it long ago.
    Well, in the AL two very young teams (Tigers, Twins) are also seeing tremendous success.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the Reds do at SS. That is the biggie for me. Maybe the Reds find a CF, move Junior to right, Freel to second and BP to SS. Rich could back up Freel and Edwin and get even more time at second when Freel was giving one of the OFers a day off.
    This is exactly what I was thinking when calling Freel and Aurilia 80% of thetime roving players. Aurilia will play 1b against lefties and Griffey needs to sit one day per week with Freel in the OF. As you say, Aurilia could get some time backing up at 3B and SS. He could also play 2b on the rare days that Dunn sits with Freel in LF. Just need a CF.

If Aurilia gets too expensive, I wonder if Harris could play that role? Probably not backing up at SS, but could everything else I think. I hope he hits enough.

The Marlins would trade away everyone not bolted down that would fetch a top prospect(s). That would mean trading Arroyo and Freel along with Harang and Dunn. Hatteburg and Ross would also be goners if a decent offer were to be found. Problem is that the Marlin-model is not condusive to keeping fans - no matter how good the file-sale return is.

Besides I don't think the Reds have enough to trade to make it work. Don't be fooled. The Marlins got extreemly lucky (or maybe they are just that good), to hit on such a high percentage of their prospects.

Well, in the AL two very young teams (Tigers, Twins) are also seeing tremendous success.
    The Tigers have exceptional young pitching and a young CF that can go get 'em (remember those). But they are pretty veteran everywhere else including a 40 year old starter and an old cast-off leading the AL in Saves. Ordonez, Polanco, Guillen and even Inge need to be considered veterans. The catcher is a future HOF. I'd love to follow the model they have, but getting that many good young pitchers will be hard to duplicate.

The Twins are a good example, but having Sanatana helps a lot. Maybe Krivsky can get some of their keepers instead of just the cast-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Besides I don't think the Reds have enough to trade to make it work. Don't be fooled. The Marlins got extreemly lucky (or maybe they are just that good), to hit on such a high percentage of their prospects.
    You've been a Reds' fan too long if you think it's difficult or impossible to get a Marlins-esque return on players--or that they're lucky for having torn down and rebuilt twice already and currently sit in the middle of rebuilding and contention # 3.

I don't think the Reds have to trade everything, necessarily; like I said, no reason at all to trade Arroyo given his contract status. But Harang is another matter, and so is Dunn, both of whom should ( I say should, but with Wayne you never know) bring back monster returns.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Tigers have exceptional young pitching and a young CF that can go get 'em (remember those). But they are pretty veteran everywhere else including a 40 year old starter and an old cast-off leading the AL in Saves. Ordonez, Polanco, Guillen and even Inge need to be considered veterans. The catcher is a future HOF. I'd love to follow the model they have, but getting that many good young pitchers will be hard to duplicate.

The Twins are a good example, but having Sanatana helps a lot. Maybe Krivsky can get some of their keepers instead of just the cast-offs.
    If Santana helps, then so does Willis.

We're splitting hairs here. The fact is, both the Tigers and Twins are overall pretty young teams.

Turn Off Ads?