Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg: Its gut check time

Hatteberg: Its gut check time

From today's Enquirer:

"Let Scott Hatteberg explain. Hatteberg has been on playoff teams. He's 36. No one in the home clubhouse is a bigger student of the game. "This is pure assumption, because I haven't been here,'' Hatteberg said. "But there have been times in the past this team was in dead last place and not needed to show up sometimes. That's a bad thing to get into.
    "I'm not saying we're doing that, but there have been games when we have. If you have half the guys there (mentally), it's not good enough.''

Thanks to Pittsburgh, the Reds haven't been in the cellar lately. But Hatteberg's point is well taken. It has been since 1999 that this team has been relevant in September. "Everybody's physically and mentally drained. It becomes who's-got-the-inner makeup of showing up and making yourself focus on each pitch. An intestinal fortitude type of check,'' Hatteberg said."
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hatteberg: Its gut check time

Yea! Someone finally calls what many fans have suspected for a long time...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

It ain't Greg Vaughn ca. 1999.

But it's a start.

Here's hoping that the 2006 Reds haven't passed the point of no return with a terminal case of Tomkoitis.

A playoff spot has been and continues to be there for the taking...

Odd thing this "showing up." Was Scott Hatteberg showing up in late August when he seemingly took a two-week nap at the plate?

I suspect he was as I suspect most guys on the team have been. Sometimes it boils down to things like hitting a cold streak at a bad time or your numbers levelling out to match your actual talent. The Reds don't pitch well and they field even worse. Put a few hitters on ice and mix in some almost inconceivably bad lineup decisions by the manager and you've got the recipe for a 2-9 run even if everyone's "showing up."
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The Reds don't pitch well and they field even worse. Put a few hitters on ice and mix in some almost inconceivably bad lineup decisions by the manager and you've got the recipe for a 2-9 run even if everyone's "showing up."
    Yep, the mean is the mean and everything else bounces below it or above it, the trick is to not let the mean be your master, and that involves luck, which the Reds had plenty of until recently, I'm sure they'll taste some of it again.

Of course they've also tasted plenty of stupid as well. Such as pitching to Barry Bonds rather than plunking him on his derriere.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Odd thing this "showing up." Was Scott Hatteberg showing up in late August when he seemingly took a two-week nap at the plate?
    I think Scott's talking about mental preparedness more than the physical results. Of course everyone can be "tuned in" and the team can still flounder. Guys get into slumps, they press, they don't see the ball as well, etc.

But then there are players who have their sights set on the offseason and where they're going to be playing their golf. I don't know if he's talking about any players in particular, but there's no excuse for anyone "phoning it in" at this point. And I also don't see a problem with Hatte speaking out about it, bad month and all.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    But then there are players who have their sights set on the offseason and where they're going to be playing their golf ...
    Or doing their fishing ...

But then there are players who have their sights set on the offseason and where they're going to be playing their golf.

Golf and Baseball facts:

The Reds fired their manager in 1934 (Bob O'Farrell) because he was prone to ducking out quickly after a game (many of the losses) to get 18 in.

Babe Ruth was on the golf course when he found out he was traded to the Yankees.

Ty Cobb was perhaps the first player to bring his clubs with him on Spring Training.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Or doing their fishing ...
    Ted Williams was a champion fisher, the book The Teammates has major theme covering that and his relationship with other famous Sox.

Lucky for us one of them have Hugh Alexanders off season day job.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I think Scott's talking about mental preparedness more than the physical results. Of course everyone can be "tuned in" and the team can still flounder. Guys get into slumps, they press, they don't see the ball as well, etc.

But then there are players who have their sights set on the offseason and where they're going to be playing their golf. I don't know if he's talking about any players in particular, but there's no excuse for anyone "phoning it in" at this point. And I also don't see a problem with Hatte speaking out about it, bad month and all.
    Seems to me that if things were going well and one guy brought up a golf trip to Florida this winter it would be construed as the clubhouse being loose in a positive way. If guys aren't working to fix whatever they've got going wrong at the moment or they're skipping out on things then I'd say Hatteberg has a point. Otherwise I think it's just a case of a vet trying to rally the troops, establish that the team can have if it really wants it.

I don't have a problem with what Hatteberg said, but I don't think it really means anything -- certainly I don't think it's giving us any insight into the team's character.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The Reds will win now because by checking their guts they have some of the biggest in the league.

Man Pills

Scott, gut check time was 10 days ago.

The toe is tagged; time to close the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't have a problem with what Hatteberg said, but I don't think it really means anything -- certainly I don't think it's giving us any insight into the team's character.
    Probably not. Winning covers up a lot of warts. But I look at it as a start. If someone's going to step up as a "leader" on this team, they need to be vocal about it.

Aurilia, Hatteberg, Junior, LaRue--I'm looking at you.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Scott, gut check time was 10 days ago.

The toe is tagged; time to close the drawer.
    Ahhhh, my daily dose of fresh air.

Turn Off Ads?