Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Seat With Kent Mercker

Hot Seat With Kent Mercker

This is something sort of new at the ballpark. Kent asks questions to the rest of the team in the dugout before a game. Yesterday's game was which actor would you like to play yourself in a movie? The answers I remember was Junior "Will Smith" and Dunn "Will Ferrell".

Tonight's question was "Who spends the most time in front of the mirror?". All the players asked said "Scott Hatteberg". When Kent asked Scott, Scott got "defensive" and mentioned that he heard that players said it was him - then he took off his helmet and showed his hair - "look at this!". Kent said straight-faced that only a few players said it was him. That was the end - then the camera showed Scott down at first base smiling. Pretty cute!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Seat With Kent Mercker

Mercker is one genuinely funny guy, I'll miss him next year. I wonder if TC can get him on the "radio" show. I bet that would be a great episode!

This is the best between-inning piece they've got, IMO. Heck, it's probably the best they've ever had in a long, long time.

Obviously Mercker isn't likely to be with the team next season, but if they can find a Reds player each season willing to host something like this similar to what Mercker's doing now then I think it's worthwhile to consider.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

It's a shame he's said in the past that he can't wait to retire so he doesn't have to travel. I think he would make a heck of an announcer, whether radio or TV.

Here's a quick story from the winter caravan about Mercker:

My friend had asked me to get Mercker to sign a ball on the sweet spot when I was at the caravan because he is a big Mercker fan and has never had the chance to get his autograph. So I step up in the line, hand Merck the ball and ask him if he could sign the ball on the sweet spot. He kind of looks at me like I'm stupid so I relay the story how my friend is a big fan and is really excited to get the autographed ball.

Merck just looked at me, smiled, and deadpanned "Man, you REALLY need to get some new friends."

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Tonight's question was "Who spends the most time in front of the mirror?". All the players asked said "Scott Hatteberg". When Kent asked Scott, Scott got "defensive" and mentioned that he heard that players said it was him - then he took off his helmet and showed his hair - "look at this!". Kent said straight-faced that only a few players said it was him. That was the end - then the camera showed Scott down at first base smiling. Pretty cute!
    Thanks Kitty. This explains why he looks so lovely all the time.

A little bit of vanity can pay off occasionally.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Here ya go VP [from the Bad Boy Blog]

"We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

See, if I saw that man walking down the street, I would buy him a $10 guitar at a garage sale, hand him some sheet music of Mellencamp songs, point him in the direction of the nearest chain sports bar and send him on his merry way. But knowing what I do about his plate discipline, it makes him a very different man.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post

Mercker is one genuinely funny guy, I'll miss him next year. I wonder if TC can get him on the "radio" show. I bet that would be a great episode!
    I will try my best!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Tonight's (9/8/06) question...

"Which teammate would be the most likely to win on Jeopardy? [and they all said Mercker ]. Kent and Junior were saying something funny at the end but I didn't hear it.

Tonight's (9/9/06) question...

"Which teammate would you want as a tag team wrestling partner?" [Dunn and Freel were the answers].

Is it me or does David Ross have that "deer in the headlights" look in those segments? It's almost as if he is thinking "did I get the question right?" as he answers Merker.

Those are funny segments and am glad they are showing them on the jumbotron. I'd like to see the Reds use Merker as an "emisary" of sorts for PR work and whatnot.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-09-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Mercker still lives in the area, right?

I'd really love to see him get involved with the club in a PR role if he's not playing next year. It'd be awesome to see him host a reds.com "Web show" or even to start an official Reds podcast. He's obviously won the trust and respect of the players, so I'm sure he'd have no problem getting the big interviews. Plus, he's just a naturally funny guy who probably has thousands of stories from his own playing days.

I wonder if FSN would have any interest in adding him to the pregame show. Or WLW with the pregame radio show. I'd love to see him have his own segment.

Anyone who's seen his interviews/segments for the jumbotron can see how much more relaxed the players are when they talk to him as opposed to a regular reporter.

(Maybe I should have added this to the "Marketing Ideas for the Reds" thread.)

I remember hearing about a "Reds speakers bureau" the team had years ago that Gordy Coleman used to coordinate (maybe westofyou or another history buff could confirm). I think they went to Moose lodges, schools, hospitals, etc. With Mercker, Nuxhall, Browning, Lee May and so many other notables still around, they should really bring back something like that. It really plays into the "power of tradition" thing too.

Today's (9/10/06) question...

"Which person, living or dead, would you like to have dinner with?"

Harang (IIRC) couldn't make up his mind, he was the first player asked. The other answers were Sandy Koufax, couple players said their wife, Christopher Columbus, Jimi Hendrix, John Wayne (Majewski), Jackie Robinson (Junior), couple players said Elvis (including Weathers), and Coffey said Patrick Stewart (of STNG I would assume).

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Harang (IIRC) couldn't make up his mind, he was the first player asked. The other answers were Sandy Koufax, couple players said their wife, Christopher Columbus, Jimi Hendrix, John Wayne (Majewski), Jackie Robinson (Junior), couple players said Elvis (including Weathers), and Coffey said Patrick Stewart (of STNG I would assume).
    Man, I bet John Wayne would love Majewski's mullet.

"That's a queer haircut you got there, young man."

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post

, couple players said their wife, .
    Man, that's a cowardly answer. Come on guys, this isn't that risky of a question to answer. Sure, you probably don't want to name a female, but come on now, let's have a little imagination here.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?