Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Junior wants to help the team, just retire

GOREDSGO32

If Junior wants to help the team, just retire

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
    107 26 69 61 .315 .251

His season numbers, and he's getting paid 10 mil a year, a major chuck of the salary. If he gives a cra pabout the team he would just hang them up and stop handicapping our salary by being one of the most overpaid players in baseball. Face it, his numbers aren't going to get any better in the future, he seemingly has to be nursed along several games a year just to be able to play, and at the end of the year usually has to hang them up due to some type of injury. How many games in September has Griffey played here in his career? Just give it up, and be on your way to the HOF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Junior wants to help the team, just retire

Disagree. Put Junior in a corner-outfield position and he's golden for the remainder of his contract, easily.

I maintain that Junior could play near gold-glove defense in left-field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

That last one says it all for me.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Man, if Griffey hadn't injured himself in the lone game he played in RF a couple of seasons ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Man, if Griffey hadn't injured himself in the lone game he played in RF a couple of seasons ago...
    You know what, Doc. Scott?

When Ken Griffey Junior is ten years retired, I'll still probably watch his SportsCentury on ESPN and cry like a baby.

Junior was forced onto a path that should have been given to others.

He'll always be an ultimate hero to me.

Wow. simply all I can say.....

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You know what, Doc. Scott?

When Ken Griffey Junior is ten years retired, I'll still probably watch his SportsCentury on ESPN and cry like a baby.

Junior was forced onto a path that should have been given to others.

He'll always be an ultimate hero to me.
    So you'll stay up until 3AM in the year 2018 to catch baseball programming and avoid all the XTREME SPORTZ coverage? That's impressive enough (snif). Seriously, though, everyone forgets that one game- August 4th, 2004 (not 8/11/04 as Wikipedia claims)- the day that could have brought change.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 09-06-2006 at 03:28 AM.

So you'll stay up until 2AM to catch baseball programming and avoid all the XTREME SPORTZ coverage? That's impressive enough.
    I'm sure that the career-spanning biopic of KGJ, produced by ESPN, would NOT premiere at 2 AM NOR be pre-empted by 'XTREME SPORTZ' coverage.

please. ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.

ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.
    That is a day I pray for. I wont leave the house or room that day.

That last one says it all for me.
    What is that last one??? All I got was the Red 'X' of death instead of a photo. And WOW you have an autographed Griffey card that isn't Upper Deck, how did you manage that one?

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
    107 26 69 61 .315 .251

His season numbers, and he's getting paid 10 mil a year, a major chuck of the salary. If he gives a cra pabout the team he would just hang them up and stop handicapping our salary by being one of the most overpaid players in baseball. Face it, his numbers aren't going to get any better in the future, he seemingly has to be nursed along several games a year just to be able to play, and at the end of the year usually has to hang them up due to some type of injury. How many games in September has Griffey played here in his career? Just give it up, and be on your way to the HOF.
    This is absurd!:thumbdown

Disagree. Put Junior in a corner-outfield position and he's golden for the remainder of his contract, easily.
    This is correct

I'm sure that the career-spanning biopic of KGJ, produced by ESPN, would NOT premiere at 2 AM NOR be pre-empted by 'XTREME SPORTZ' coverage.

please. ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.
    Aww, man. That was just supposed to be a joke about ESPN. You know, because it sucks and all.

I actually think it'll take a few years, but when Junior goes into the Hall of Fame, there will be a big run on man-love for the guy.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I actually think it'll take a few years, but when Junior goes into the Hall of Fame, there will be a big run on man-love for the guy.
    Sure there will, when his entire career is considered, including his many injuries, and the fact that he did it without chemical enhancement in an era of steroids run amuck.

Plus, the guy has not had any personal problems of any type; no arrests, no spousal abuse, no drunk driving, etc. If you even look really closely and nit pick, the only thing you could say is that Junior can be a little too sensitive sometimes! I look around here and see thin skin every day!

From 1990-1999, Junior was truly phenomenal. He was to the 90's what Albert Pujols has been to the 2000's.

I've seen Junior use that thin skin to his advantage too many times to criticize him for it.

I was at a game a few years ago and this one guy was really giving it to Junior and Junior could hear it and was making it clear he could hear it. He kept acknowledging the guy by looking his direction. Finally in about the 7th inning with this jerk thinking he is in complete control, Junior hits one about 500 feet and then stares at the guy all the way from home into the dugout.

His thin skin helps motivate him. Saw the same thing earlier this year. I think it might have been vs St Louis. One guy was hammering Junior and you could see that it was bothering Griffey. But not enough to prevent him from depositing one over the outfield fence. Once again, he made sure to thank the loud mouth who had been giving him the business.

Frankly, I don't get threads like this. Why not call on Milton to retire? Give the man some freaking respect.

Just give up? Yeah, give up so we can play Dewayne Wise every day.

Turn Off Ads?