Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Necissary to Spend Boatloads in Offseason

Not Necissary to Spend Boatloads in Offseason

I Have been browsing other threads and people are saying we need to spend Tons of money in the off season. IMO I don't think that is necessary.

The argument has been made that we need to sign a big time free agent middle infielder. Wile I can see the benefit of that, I ask the question why can't we flip BP to SS and place Rich at 2nd.

I have also read that Tori Hunter would be a great pick-up for the Reds. Yes that also would be nice. But what about just flipping Freel to Center and letting Jr. play Right. IMO Deno is better than he has showed. I believe that he can be a good forth outfielder and play 3-4 times a week filling in for JR and Freel. They have both showed that time off improves their performance. Let us say that JR somehow gets hurt during the seasons final months (which almost always happens), could Jay Bruce be ready for a late season call up if he shows us anything in AA next year?

The Rotation doesn't need a large tune-up I don't believe. Harang has put up #1 Starter numbers this year. Arroyo is a good #2. Milton is a decent at best #3. The jury is still out on Lohse for #4 but looks ok so far. Maybe EZ could fill in the 5 spot next year. Will Homer be ready for the bigs? Or we could bring in a cheap #5 from free agency.

I think the biggest hole is the closer spot. It could be debated the Everyday Eddie could fill the spot for one more year. I believe when healthy we actually do have some nice young arms in there (Jewski, Bray, Coffey, Belisle).

What do you fellas think? I think we are in better shape then some let us believe.
    Last edited by Z-Fly; 09-06-2006 at 08:07 AM.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Not Neccisary to Spend Boatloads in Offseason

I do hope that BP gets swapped over to short, but I'm not sure of what I think of RA at second. I actually like RA, but I'm not sure how much longer he can put up these numbers. Plus, platooning him around the infield and giving him some days off, I think, has helped his numbers. I don't think he will preform like he has this year if he played everyday at second. Ideally we do pick up a solid middle infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati35 View Post
    Plus, platooning him around the infield and giving him some days off, I think, has helped his numbers.
    How many days off are you suggesting? He is playing almost every day now. Could Juan fill in some of those days?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I Have been browsing other threads and people are saying we need to spend Tons of money in the off season. IMO I don't think that is necessary.

The argument has been made that we need to sign a big time free agent middle infielder. Wile I can see the benefit of that, I ask the question why can't we flip BP to SS and place Rich at 2nd.

I have also read that Tori Hunter would be a great pick-up for the Reds. Yes that also would be nice. But what about just flipping Freel to Center and letting Jr. play Right. IMO Deno is better than he has showed. I believe that he can be a good forth outfielder and play 3-4 times a week filling in for JR and Freel. They have both showed that time off improves their performance. Let us say that JR somehow gets hurt during the seasons final months (which almost always happens), could Jay Bruce be ready for a late season call up if he shows us anything in AA next year?

The Rotation doesn't need a large tune-up I don't believe. Harang has put up #1 Starter numbers this year. Arroyo is a good #2. Milton is a decent at best #3. The jury is still out on Lohse for #4 but looks ok so far. Maybe EZ could fill in the 5 spot next year. Will Homer be ready for the bigs? Or we could bring in a cheap #5 from free agency.

I think the biggest hole is the closer spot. It could be debated the Everyday Eddie could fill the spot for one more year. I believe when healthy we actually do have some nice young arms in there (Jewski, Bray, Coffey, Belisle).

What do you fellas think? I think we are in better shape then some let us believe.
    That sounds an awful lot like reshuffling the deck and hoping for a better result next year.

I think you over rate Harang and Arroyo both by one spot (I think they're 2 and 3 in the NL), but otherwise, agree with most of what you say, especially that closer is the most obvious hole for next year.

No way can you compete without a closer. It was ok to go into this year without one because no ne expected the Reds to be in the thick of it. It becamse pretty apparent early on that no one we had was capable of doing the job. Weathers and Coffey have both pitched well this year, except for in the closer role.

In addition to closer, I think we need a starting pitcher (as much as you can afford to spend) and another outfielder, hopefully one with pop.

We should be set at middle relief for next year

No offense, Z-fly, but you're basically saying to just return everyone from this year. We should expect some of the older guys like Aurillia and Hattenberg to decline. Guarado might not be back. Weathers has been good this year, but he'll be another year older.

The team has fallen below .500, despite getting some career years out of some players. This team needs some more talent.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This team needs more guys who can play both offense and defense. That is the reason to bring in a 2B, SS or CF. You win with defense up the middle but they need to be able to hit too. We do not have a combination of players to do both. Bring in a bat that can play defense and one of the guys you mentioned is available off the bench everyday and there is some depth in case of injury.

Add another legitimate starter to the rotation and suddenly we have a solid rotation. Personally I think the offense is set, particularly with Junior in RF and the Deno/Freel platoon in CF. The bullpen could use a high quality arm -- god knows we have enough quanitity.

Seriously though, if we can add a real starter through FA Lohse/Ramirez/etc #5 (keeping it warm for Homer) and suddenly we have a major league rotation. Phillips to SS and Junior to RF improves the defense.

If we're able to up the payroll to the mid 70's, I would without a doubt spent it on a starter. Actually, the pitcher I would spend it on isn't even on most people's radar. Let the Mets and Yanks fight over Zito and Schmidt. Meanwhile I'd get out there and offer Vincente Padilla 3/21.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If we're able to up the payroll to the mid 70's, I would without a doubt spent it on a starter. Actually, the pitcher I would spend it on isn't even on most people's radar. Let the Mets and Yanks fight over Zito and Schmidt. Meanwhile I'd get out there and offer Vincente Padilla 3/21.
    I think Padilla is worth a shot. Good call! I didn't mention pitchers because they will all be expensive and not sure the few that would be an upgrade would be available or even worth the moeny/years it would take. But Padilla is a good call. I still think they need another OF. I like Freel in his former supersub role (playing 80% of the time) and I'm not sold on Deno.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Padilla is worth a shot. Good call! I didn't mention pitchers because they will all be expensive and not sure the few that would be an upgrade would be available or even worth the moeny/years it would take. But Padilla is a good call. I still think they need another OF. I like Freel in his former supersub role (playing 80% of the time) and I'm not sold on Deno.
    But if you sign an OF, you've basically told Deno, "you'll never get a shot." The guy has nothing left to prove in the minors and the kind of guy who we could get that would be a clear upgrade over what we have would cost as much if not more than the starter (Hunter, Lee, etc.). Meanwhile, we have a virtual black hole in the 5th spot in the rotation and the only guy who's shown himself able to pitch is Elizardo Ramirez, who is injured and fell apart at the end of the season. Milton is in the last year of his deal.

Zito is a flyball pitcher coming from a pitcher friendly park. He walks a lot of guys and his strikout rate is trending in the wrong direction. Schmit is a better bet, but his age makes me hesistant to give him the long term deal somebody will be willing to pony up for. There just aren't any "aces" out there worth ace money. Padilla adds a solid arm without killing the budget. If Deno doesn't pan out, we'll have Milton & LaRue coming of the books with room to sign an OF if necessary.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

To be a little more specific, I would only sign an OF who is a Hunter or Cameron type who would be a defensive plus plus playing in the middle of the field and adds to the offense as well. That would improve the pitching a lot. I just have no confidence in Deno as a hitter but would take him over another player who leaves us with Griffey in CF again. I know he had success in AAA, I'm just not sold.

I agree sort of but if we want different results we have to change more than just one pitcher. I have always loved Griffey until the last few days when I actually got to start watching him on FSN. His lack of hustle and his poor play in the outfield is costing us a lot over 162 games. I would love to see him traded to an AL team or as others have said moved to right field and told to at least run out the close plays at first.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

If we're going to sign a CF, what about Juan Pierre? I think he just has a one year deal with the Cubs. He still has great speed and plays good defense. His hitting numbers are down a bit the last couple years, but they are still good. And I assume he wouldn't break the bank.

Heres what I think Cincy should do thios off-season to make the Reds a playoff team.
    First we need another bat bad in the middle of the order,and a defensive outfielder to play center.I say go after Vernon Wells.He has decent pop with the bat(hit around 280-290 with 27-30 homers a year and 80 to 100 RBI,s also)and he has a great glove,not Tori Hunter good but good.And I believe he will be cheaper than Hunter.
    Second we need to add another quality arm to the rotation.We brought in Arroyo this season now if we could bring in another arm of his caliber the staff would be solid.Maybe a Mark Moulder(spelling) if he can get it together,or someone in his groundball style.
    Third we need a quality closer,maybe try Gagne out if the Dodgers cut him lose.But we need someone to close and get the job done.
    Now if we can do something close to this I believe the Reds will be a major factor next season thanks.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Not necissary to spell.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    Stick to your guns.

I think we need to make a couple of moves this offseason. I think we do need to add a bat to the lineup, our offense is becoming stale. Also we do need to add another arm to the rotation and the bullpen. Particularly the closer spot. Guys that I would like to see in uniform next year for us are:

1)CF-Juan Pierre- assumes the leadoff spot and provides solid defense up the middle, and gives us 30+ stolen bases while batting .280ish.

2)Ted Lilly-is a lefty FA after the year and would provide us with another #3 starter. There is no reason for us to go out and get a #1 when we clearly cannot afford it. We can plug him into the rotation and expect 180 innings and between 12-15 wins.

3)Chad Bradford-solid guy out of the pen, would assume the middle relief role, and has pitched well up in NY. He would fit nicely in with our budget and allow us to look at trading avenues.

In turn I would expect our roster to look like this:
    lineup:
    1)pierre-cf
    2)hatteberg-1b
    3)Dunn-lf
    4)EE-3b
    5)Griffey-rf
    6)Aurilia-2b
    7)Phillips-ss
    8)Ross-c

starters
    1)harang 2)Arroyo 3)Lilly 4)Milton 5)Lohse

Bullpen
    Closer) Lizard 2)Bray 3)Majewski 4)Bradford 5)Coffey 6)Cormier 7)Franklin

Bench
    utility) Freel SS/2b) Castro OF) Denorfia C)Larue C)Valentin

Guys who then can be used as trade bait-Larue, Ross, Belisle, Standridge. I think we are much better with those 3 moves(pierre,Bradford,Lilly) and lizard has the makeup to be a decent closer. IMHO

Turn Off Ads?