Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2006 Reds Players: Freel "Man of the Year"

2006 Reds Players: Freel "Man of the Year"

I'm a Ryan Freel fan, so I wanted to pass along this info for anyone who didn't see it.

Freel was recently nominated by his teammates for the "Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award." Each club has a nominee. Voting is currently underway to create six finalists. Voting ends THIS SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 10. (Vote now)

The fact that his teammates nominated him, to me, is really impressive. Prior to this year, I was really bothered by Freel's off-the-field incidents and assumed he would become a typical baseball screw-up. But he seems like he's really rebounded from his troubles. I've always liked him as a player, but "Ryan Freel the person" is starting to impress me too. He doesn't take life too seriously, he's quick to laugh at himself (remember Farney?), and he seems to really care about how his teammates see him.

Unfortunately, someone had the stupid idea of creating a finalist from each division for this award, so Freel has more competition in the NL Central than any other division.

Here's his official bio on the ballot:

Cincinnati Reds: Ryan Freel
    Ryan demonstrated that he doesn't stop hustling when he's off the field by leading the Reds Rookie Success League in appearances. The RRSL is a non-competitive, co-ed, summer baseball league for youngsters aged 8 to 11 that emphasizes building character. As part of the Make-A-Wish partnership with the Reds for every Friday home game during the season, Ryan hosts a child and his/her family at the Great American Ball Park. As his personal guests, the family watches batting practice from the field and receives tickets for the game. Ryan also provides hundreds of tickets for children as incentives for the Reds & Reading program, which is partnered with the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.

OK, so I'm not sure if any of this was court-ordered because of his alcohol-related charges, but at least he made sure his work involved kids. Also, it's hard to say that one person's community work is more valuable than someone else's, though Freel's competition seems to have more-established programs in place. But if you want to feel good about what some players do with their spare time, check out this.

Also, here are some nice stories about Freel's work:
    Freel gives time to keep kids focused
    Contest winners share poster space with Reds' Freel

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2006 Reds Players: Freel "Man of the Year"

He just got my vote.

Freel made a mistake when he got his DUI, no doubt, be he is only human and he has stayed away from off the field problems since then.

After reading all of this stuff he does for the kids of Cincinnati as well as all of the stuff he does on the field for this team you can't help but be a huge fan of the guy. Even if the Reds can't keep him forever I will always be a fan of Mr. Freel.:freel:

Now, does he do this on his own or does Farney tell him to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Now, does he do this on his own or does Farney tell him to do it?
    Farney does the drinking.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Not all alcoholics are jerks. I like Ryan and all of these off-field things he does are admirable. I'm not even suggesting he is an alcoholic. But, what disturbed me about his problems in the past was not that he liked to party, but that he chose to drive twice while inhebriated. I am not of the school of thought that everyone makes that choice once in a while and we should accept it. I drink, but I will not drink a drop in a situation where I know I will be getting behind the wheel and possibly endangering someone's life or my own. These incidents have been too recent to declare him rehabilitated and start handing him awards.

Nice idea to vote for him, but unfortunately you have to give your personal information to spammers in order to vote.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I love Freel as a player and didn't know about the off the field things he does. However a man of the year should have no recent off the field incidents. If he stays clean another year or two then give him this award.

Turn Off Ads?