Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off season moves

Off season moves

We as a fan base want the Reds to have play off teams every year.We also would like to be the GM so we could make moves of our own from time to time.So with this in mind I would like to ask you all what do you think cincy needs to do this off season to improve the Reds.I know what I would like for WK to do but I would like to get all your guys info on how to improve this club.
    Just to start us off I will tell you the moves I would make if I were the GM,I know they may not be what some want or like but I believe they would help the club.
    First I would move Jr. to a corner spot,and either give Freel CF or sign or trade for a CF.IF we could get Tori Hunter or Vernon WElls I say get them and plug them in CF but thats about all I would put infront of Freel,maybe Pierre but Im not sold on him myself.
    Second I would trade Dunn for a starting pitcher,maybe to the white sox for one of there 3 or 4 good pitchers.I know most dont want to trade Dunn and in a perfect world I wouldnt either but its not perfect.We could trade Dunn and have a out field of JR.,Freel,and hopefully one of the new guys I mentioned above,thats would be a great defensive out field to throw in GABP or 82 games.
    Third the Reds need a middle infielder in the worst way.Im not sure who is on the market but maybe we could trade for a good offensive middle infielder.Maybe the Young guy in Texas.GIve them DIno,almedo,and some one else for him.If not him someone please.
    FOurth we need a closer,maybe Gagne if the Dodgers dont pickup his option,or even Woods.They both would be stretchs but if heathly would be a major up grade.
    Now lets look at our line up if these things happen the way I would like for them to.
    1.Young SS
    2.HUnter or Wells maybe Freel CF
    3.E.E.3B
    4.Jr. or Wells LF
    5.HAtteberg 1B
    6.Freel RF
    7.Ross C
    8.Phillips 2B
    NOw if we trade Dun we get a good pitcher in return maybe Garland or Buerle who knows but a good one.
    Rotation
    1.NEw guy
    2.Harang
    3.Arroyo
    4.Loshe
    5.Milton not a bad rotation?
    Bullpen would be solid with Bray and Cormier as Leftys then Coffey,Magic man, and a couple new faces there as wel counting a closer.
    Now that looks like a good team to me.A lineup with power,speed,batting avg. and the ability to have decent averages and on base percents.I know we lose probably 15 to 20 homers a year by tradeing Dunn and bringing in some lesser power hitters,but in the long run it will mean more runs with more singles and doubles on the board when they count.Remember all my moves are with players Im just throwing in there meaning we need a player similar to them not having to be them,just someone that plays the game like the players I mentioned.
    So theres my Gm moves tear them apart and tell me what you would do if you were the GM,remember this is a message board so dont be shy thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Off season moves

We'd have to give up the farm to get Wells and Young. I dont think any dramatic moves need to be made. I like a team lineup of:

Freel- CF
    Phillips-SS
    EE- 3B
    Dunn-LF
    Griffey-RF
    Hatte-1B/Trade hatte at break, call up Votto
    Ross- C
    B. Harris- 2B

Thats a pretty potent linup. The reason I wouldnt go too far messin wit the line up is because of studs like Votto, Bruce, and Stubbs that are all makin their rounds in the minors. All of the players at their positions are gettin older, and could be easily moved when their time comes.

As far as pitching, strangly enough I think were solid with our starters: I see the opening day rotation as:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Milton
    Claussen

I then send claussen to the bullpen as soon as Homer's dominatin AAA.

Then as far as the bullpen goes, they prolly need some work. I'd look to pick up a closer in the offseason and go with a bullpen of:

Bray
    Cormier
    Majic
    Coffey
    New Closer(dangle Dino)

Thats a solid team that will make the playoffs next year, and keep the fans happy until 2010 when we make a run for the WS with guys like Bruce, EE, Dunn, Phillips, Votto, Harang, Homer, Cuerto, Wood, Bray all leadin' the way.

You make good points BC11 but I just think that the kids like Bruce,Stubbs,Votto,Cuerto,and Wood are just a little to far away to help the big club.Votto is at least 2 years away,Stubbs and Bruce probably 3 years,so i say we can make a couple moves and not threaten any of our young guys.And your lineup is basically what it is this year just minus Aurilla and add Harris,so that doesnt look to potent to me.
    And yes it would take some talent for a Young or Wells deal to happen but we could get around that.We could sign T.HUnter for probably around 11 to 13 mil. a year for 3 years.When hes out of his prime and his deal is up its time for Bruce and Stubbs to be a major leaguer.A a Youngdeal ould get it done I would think without giving up any major cogs in the wheel.Maybe some young talent but that would be it with a MLB ready SS like Almedo.
    I just dont think the same lineup next year as this year will make the Reds a post season team.The Reds need to add at least one bat to the lineup in the worst way and probably 2 to be a contender.
    AS for the closer I agree dangle Dino or a young playerto get a proven closer.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I disagree with your proposed value of Michael Young. He is one of the top SS in the game. It will take top prospects to get him (and maybe a guy like Phillips included).

A guy like Olmedo wont get it done. He looks like a light hitting utility man at this point. Guys like him are not difficult to come by.

I don't think a trade for a guy like Young is in the Reds' best interests right now. The Reds are likely at least another year from being serious contenders for the play-offs/world series, so trading what little young talent we have, for a lower budget team would likely make us better now, but cripple us in the future.

I'm also not ahuge fan of Hunter. He's got great defense, but his hitting is highly overrated. He's not a bad target, but not at 11-13M IMO. We'll need every bit of offense if Dunn is dealt (and if he is it needs to be for a legitamite #1-2 starter, not Jon Garland).

my 2 cents

Starters:
    C Ross
    1B Hatteberg/Aurillia ( with Aurillia spot starting at 2B/SS/3b )
    2B Freel
    SS Phillips
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn
    * CF Tori Hunter
    RF Griffey

Bench:
    C Valentine
    * IF Craig Counsell
    Utility OF ( ? Denorfia )
    Utility IF ( ? Olmedo )
    Veteran pinch hitter

Counsell can play 2B, SS or 3B. Has speed & is a good defender.
    Freel can play some in the OF when Counsell plays 2B.
    You can rotate 9 guys amongst 7 spots.

Assuming we don't trade any players I think adding a bat that can hit in the center of the lineup ( Hunter ) who can also play defense is essential.
    I don't see that happening at 2B so going after Hunter seems like a good idea.

The pitching is the problem. We have a #1.5/2 ( Harang ) , a #3 ( Arroyo ) , a bunch of 4th/5th starters & a bunch of middle relievers.
    We sorely need an ace & a closer but trying to get them on the free agent market is going to cost $$$$.
    Also there are injury questions re EZ, Claussen & Majik.

SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Milton
    SP Lohse ? ( depending on how he pitches his last 5 starts )
    SP EZ ? , Bailey ??, Clausen ???

RP Bray
    RP Majik
    RP Coffey
    RP Cormier ?
    RP Belisle
    Closer ???

- Will

p.s. LaRue: pray he has a good spring and trade him in spring training

Get rid of Dunn. He ain't worth it.
    Who's on first?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Move number 1.

Get rid of Jason LaRue.

That is all, please resume your regularly scheduled posting.

Re: my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Starters:
    C Ross
    1B Hatteberg/Aurillia ( with Aurillia spot starting at 2B/SS/3b )
    2B Freel
    SS Phillips
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn
    * CF Tori Hunter
    RF Griffey

Bench:
    C Valentine
    * IF Craig Counsell
    Utility OF ( ? Denorfia )
    Utility IF ( ? Olmedo )
    Veteran pinch hitter

Counsell can play 2B, SS or 3B. Has speed & is a good defender.
    Freel can play some in the OF when Counsell plays 2B.
    You can rotate 9 guys amongst 7 spots.

Assuming we don't trade any players I think adding a bat that can hit in the center of the lineup ( Hunter ) who can also play defense is essential.
    I don't see that happening at 2B so going after Hunter seems like a good idea.

The pitching is the problem. We have a #1.5/2 ( Harang ) , a #3 ( Arroyo ) , a bunch of 4th/5th starters & a bunch of middle relievers.
    We sorely need an ace & a closer but trying to get them on the free agent market is going to cost $$$$.
    Also there are injury questions re EZ, Claussen & Majik.

SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Milton
    SP Lohse ? ( depending on how he pitches his last 5 starts )
    SP EZ ? , Bailey ??, Clausen ???

RP Bray
    RP Majik
    RP Coffey
    RP Cormier ?
    RP Belisle
    Closer ???

- Will

p.s. LaRue: pray he has a good spring and trade him in spring training
    I've been thinking along the same lines as this. Don't know if that is good or bad from your perspective.

I think Milton becomes tradable this offseason with only having one year left on his deal. And while I like the effort he's given us in the second half he belongs in San Diego, LA, Washington, or some other pitcher's paradise. Our rotation should be

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Bailey
    FA addition

As for the lineup I agree with moving Griffey to a corner OF spot and getting a Gold Glove CF. I would also like to get another dangerous bat in the lineup. If not an OF then a good hitting middle infielder to play whatever position BP doesn't play.
    Last edited by UC_Ken; 09-06-2006 at 10:16 PM.

1. UC ken said: " I think Milton becomes tradable this offseason with only having one year left on his deal. And while I like the effort he's given us in the second half he belongs in San Diego, LA, Washington, or some other pitcher's paradise. "

- I agree. I think Milton could become tradable. He is an OK pitcher & would be MUCH better in a big park.

Tom Browning & Sid Fernandez were solid pitchers in their day but I suspect they would be getting killed in 2006 with all the batter friendly parks.
    A flyball pitcher doesn't belong in GABP.

2. I think Krivsky may have to get creative this offseason. This is kind of scary considering his most creative trade in 2006 blew up.

3. The Reds need a bat in the middle of the lineup ( CF , 2B or SS ) , an ace & a closer if they really have a shot at a world series. Getting all 3 in one offseason may be asking too much

- Will

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1. UC ken said: " I think Milton becomes tradable this offseason with only having one year left on his deal. And while I like the effort he's given us in the second half he belongs in San Diego, LA, Washington, or some other pitcher's paradise. "

- I agree. I think Milton could become tradable. He is an OK pitcher & would be MUCH better in a big park.

Tom Browning & Sid Fernandez were solid pitchers in their day but I suspect they would be getting killed in 2006 with all the batter friendly parks.
    A flyball pitcher doesn't belong in GABP.

2. I think Krivsky may have to get creative this offseason. This is kind of scary considering his most creative trade in 2006 blew up.

3. The Reds need a bat in the middle of the lineup ( CF , 2B or SS ) , an ace & a closer if they really have a shot at a world series. Getting all 3 in one offseason may be asking too much

- Will
    Agreed on all counts. But if you can't get anything for Milton keep him. He'll be even more attractive at the all star break. This year he would have been the best pitcher available not named Maddux.

What if we can get Junior to move to a corner OF spot...Keep Dunn in left (though he has got to improve) and then bring in someone like Eric Byrnes to play CF...not sure what Byrnes would fetch in FA market but is his defense an upgrade over Junior in CF and would Junior be enough of an upgrade in RF to help the new CF shade to LF to compensate for Dunn?

Wow...it's late.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Will M wrote:

I think Krivsky may have to get creative this offseason. This is kind of scary considering his most creative trade in 2006 blew up.
    It's way too early to say the trade "blew up". One doesn't measure these things in a half season. If Bray and Majewski prove to be solid arms for us for several years, I'm not sure it will be deemed a failure. A trade like this can't be judge in the short term. Long term? We'll have to see.

1) 1st thing I would do is make a change starting at manager..Narron has lost the fan base and for the FO to make a statement that the colapse will not be tolerated, is to bring in a manager that the fans would see the Reds are serious about wining.. A manager like Narron will not Win the world series..

I seee Bob eating his contratct and making a huge push to bring back Lou Pinella. Let him pick his own coaches (not like years past where the manager was hired expecing to keep coaches already in place)

2) sign either Hunter or Wells for CF and move JR to Left.

3) trade Dunn, LaRue, Hatteburg, Travis Wood, Deno, Belisle and Cueto....to Baltimore for Bedard and Tejada.

4) move Rich to 1st base.

5) Trade Milton (unless Baltimore will take him) and half his salary, to Oakland, or LA, or Washington for a pitching prospect..or (washington :Rauch)

rotation

1) Harang,
    2) Bedard,
    3) Arroyo
    4) Loysh
    5) Bailey? or a free agent or who we can get for Milton

lineup

1) Freel RF
    2) Hunter CF
    3) Griffey LF
    4) Tejada SS
    5) Encarnacion 3B
    6) Aurilia 1B (till Votto is ready)
    7) Ross/Valentin C
    8) Phillips 2B

bench:

Castro INF
    Valentine C
    LH pinch hitter
    4th Outfileder
    Hopper
    Olmedo

I will write more later.. off to work

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    1) 1st thing I would do is make a change starting at manager..Narron has lost the fan base and for the FO to make a statement that the colapse will not be tolerated, is to bring in a manager that the fans would see the Reds are serious about wining.. A manager like Narron will not Win the world series..

I seee Bob eating his contratct and making a huge push to bring back Lou Pinella. Let him pick his own coaches (not like years past where the manager was hired expecing to keep coaches already in place)

2) sign either Hunter or Wells for CF and move JR to Left.

3) trade Dunn, LaRue, Hatteburg, Travis Wood, Deno, Belisle and Cueto....to Baltimore for Bedard and Tejada.

4) move Rich to 1st base.

5) Trade Milton (unless Baltimore will take him) and half his salary, to Oakland, or LA, or Washington for a pitching prospect..or (washington :Rauch)

rotation

1) Harang,
    2) Bedard,
    3) Arroyo
    4) Loysh
    5) Bailey? or a free agent or who we can get for Milton

lineup

1) Freel RF
    2) Hunter CF
    3) Griffey LF
    4) Tejada SS
    5) Encarnacion 3B
    6) Aurilia 1B (till Votto is ready)
    7) Ross/Valentin C
    8) Phillips 2B

bench:

Castro INF
    Valentine C
    LH pinch hitter
    4th Outfileder
    Hopper
    Olmedo

I will write more later.. off to work
    This actually isn't bad for the players involved from a short term talent standpoint. I'm not into predicting trades as specifically as you do but trading Dunn, Cueto and Wood in the same deal is a little scary. Getting 3 impact guys back like Tejada, Bedard and Hunter (I know he is not in the deal) is intriguing. The downside is (# 4 is the killer though):

1. The team just became older w/o an offensive centerpiece for the long term and the minor leagues drops back down to barren once Votto, Bruce and Bailey are up.
    2. Bedard in the rotation is intriguing but doubt we could really get him, even for the players mentioned.
    3. I wouldn't think the reds would trade 7 for 2.
    4. Probably have to pay big money to Tejada to get him to promise not to exercise his right to demand a trade after the first season.
    5. As far as Milton goes, I know we all hate him here, but if your gonna pay half his salary why not keep him until the All Star Break for the #5 spot and trade him when teams are really looking and Bailey is ready? You still cut half his salary that way and probably get more back.

I've seen worse ideas though. Many are my own.

Turn Off Ads?