Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were Wayne...

If you were Wayne...

What would be your primary off-season goals?

How would you go about accomplishing those goals?

Who is going? Who is staying? Is there a 'core' that you want to make sure to keep in the fold?

Does Jerry Narron keep his job? (assuming that you can dismiss him and eat the K if you so choose)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If you were Wayne...

Me? I keep Dunn unless I'm absolutely BOWLED over by a boatload of pitching. And NO, I do not mean a Majewski and a Bill Bray. A clear #2 and a couple prospects. A starter that projects to be a #1-#2 and a reliever with excellent potential.

- Sign Torii Hunter

- Move Jr. to LF

- Dunn to 1B

- Phillips to SS

The bullpen... hmm... maybe someone else can tackle this one!
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Fire Narron. That would be the best way to start, I would have to think about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Fire Narron. That would be the best way to start, I would have to think about the rest.
    Yep. Forgot about my own last question! Haha, yep, Narron is a goner.

Bring in... I dunno, my heart says Sweet Lou... probably a pipe dream, but, c'mon, Cast, you can't take it with ya, let's pony up the dough and get it done.

Great, the season is really over now, since we are getting into "next year mode".

1.Fire Narron and the entire coaching staff
    2.Find another pitcher that has the potential to eat 200 innings at a 4.00ERA
    3.Get another middle infielder
    4.Find a new CF

Anything after that is gravy.

The only player that I'm absolutely convinced I want to hang onto is Edwin Encarnacion. (And Dunn, with the aforementioned caveats.)

Err, and Harang.

Narron won't be fired, but if he is the only name out there that will fire up on the fence fans and bring them to the park (which is what Bob wants badly) is Lou Piniella.

The problem is Lou will be mentioned in connection with every open managers slot there is. If Joe Torre retires I think Lou to NY is pretty much written in stone.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I posted this over on RL this morning..

I think the Reds should try to get Vernon Wells from the Blue Jays. Excluding prospects named Bailey and Bruce.. Offer them some of the other top tier prospects. This offense is pittiful and could more than use Wells. Either move Junior over to RF or have Wells play RF. Hollandsworth may or may not be brought back and would only serve as a 4th OF'er and bump Chris Denorfia out of a job unless they can move him. Denorfia has proven his worth at the AAA level.

I also think we need to go after a SP. If we get Wells then I think we may not have the funds for a star ace and our money might be better off in a Ted Lilly and possibly Adam Eaton and or Mark Mulder (incentive based contract). But if we don't obtain a Wells then spend the big bucks on a Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito, Mark Beurhle, or Mike Mussina and also try to sign Eaton and or Mulder on incentive based contracts. This team can't afford to always having to rely on the Bullpen as we saw most our aquisitions go towards upgrading the pen.

Closer.. tough question. I think Bray, Coffee, and Belisle could fill that void and think each should be tested in the remainder of the season and Spring Training.

I think with if the aboved mention were to happen that this team is contenders next year and for years to come

Reds have two issues. First, they are a .500 team at home. They have to improve at home.

Second, $33 million next year goes to four guys: Milton, Dunn, Griff and Larue. This is too much for those four.

Moves: Milton needs to go to a team with a bigger stadium. Reds need to add two starters who are GABP friendly. This should dramatically help the Reds who have good offensive, but poor pitching numbers at home.

Griff/Dunn -- one should go. They both have good power but at this stage don't provide too much else. At $19 million next year, would trade one and replace with higher BA, better defensive outfielder, even if homers would be reduced.

Larue shouldn't stay unless team intends to play him. From payroll viewpoint, can't carry him at $5.5 M as a backup. If he stays, Ross would go, but I assume it would be Larue who goes.

If the Reds do these things, they will be much better and may even have some money to work with. They also need another middle infielder and closer. If they take care of the starting pitching/outfield/catcher things, I can live with Aurilia and closer by committee for one more year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-06-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

1.) Griffey to RF
    2.) Phillips to SS
    3.) Aurilia/Hatteberg/Freel/Denorfia rotation for CF,2B,1B per a previously posted schedule that gives each ~75% playing time while taking advantage of platoons and days off.
    4.) Sign a solid major league pitcher (career ERA under 4.50, GB/FB > 1, no major injury history) such as Vicente Padilla or Jason Schmidt to a contract of no more than 3 years and an option.
    5.) Trade Jason LaRue for whatever you can get for him without paying significant salary
    6.) Explore blockbuster trade options involving Dunn for a SP and corner OF --- bite if the price is right (say Baker & Kubel).

There just isn't a whole lot that can be done at this point within the scope of reason. We don't really have excess anywhere other than bullpen arms with little value. We could use a little bit of everything, but mostly just need to move some pieces around. Unlike last year, we don't have major holes to fill. Votto is right around the corner at 1B and Bailey is likely a year away from joining the rotation permanently. It would be foolish to go out and add another #4 type starter to the mix and fritter away whatever payroll gains we may see with minimum impact guys. Optimize the usage of the current roster. Make a few impact moves if possible. Don't overdo it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

RedsManRick: I really think I like Junior better in LF. His legs are almost totally gone at this point and I think LF would pose much less problems to his health than trying to play a competent RF.

Once we get Torii Hunter ( ) or some other competent CF, I like Freel as a RF'er more than anywhere else on the field.

It seems like when Freel has the entirety of right-field as opposed to left-field to worry about, his penchance for committing dumb errors from frenetic energy such as running into his center-fielder etc. etc. is lessened.

Freel was definitely that kid in school that the teacher's spent their entire lesson plans making sure that he'd be busy the entire time. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Once we get Torii Hunter ( ) or some other competent CF, I like Freel as a RF'er more than anywhere else on the field.
    That's music to my ears. We haven't had a competent CF since we traded for a Gold Glove CF'er...well maybe he was alright the first couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    That's music to my ears. We haven't had a competent CF since we traded for a Gold Glove CF'er...well maybe he was alright the first couple of years.
    Yes. My comment is not meant to impugn the character or accomplishments of Ken Griffey Junior in any way, shape, or form (as my other recent posts will surely attest). The man is past it as far as what tools (eek, away Jimbo, Away! ) you need to play a competent centerfield in the major leagues.

Griffey can't be in center if we want to go to the second round of the playoffs he doesn't have enough range

Turn Off Ads?