Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were Wayne...

Re: If you were Wayne...

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Fire Narron. That would be the best way to start, I would have to think about the rest.
    Anyone know why that got me negative points? I really dont care about the rep points I just dont understand what was so bad about that post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Get the top and bottom will sort out.
    then again, that really is the trick. Especially with a system devoid of power arms.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Freel in Center, Jr in Right, Dunn in left with Deno spelling the first two frequently. You might get a Dan Gladden-y career out of him.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Man Pills

Get the top and bottom will sort out. There are enough pieces.
    This team has two mop-up artists and that's it. This team needs a top and middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This team has two mop-up artists and that's it. This team needs a top and middle.
    Out of Majewski, Bray, Lohse, Coffee, Cormier, Weathers, Standridge, Shackleford, and whatever you can scrounge up, I think you can come up with a two decent middle guys.

Provided you come up with a closer. No closer, they all struggle.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Man Pills

Out of Majewski, Bray, Lohse, Coffee, Cormier, Weathers, Standridge, Shackleford, and whatever you can scrounge up, I think you can come up with a two decent middle guys.

Provided you come up with a closer. No closer, they all struggle.
    I think you could recruit Mariano Rivera circa 99 and you'd still lose a ton of games in the 7th and 8th.

We'll just have to agree to disagree; your list above is a rogue's gallery, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think you could recruit Mariano Rivera circa 99 and you'd still lose a ton of games in the 7th and 8th.

We'll just have to agree to disagree; your list above is a rogue's gallery, IMO.

Wettelands make Riveras, Riveras make Nelsons. Great makes everyone better.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    then again, that really is the trick. Especially with a system devoid of power arms.
    Absolutely. That's why Lohse was added.

Pitching has to be utmost on the agenda. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Clayton - gone, gone, gone.

Castro? - depends on the contract. But he'd have to take a pay cut.

They are gonna be in kinda of a quandry with RA in the off-season. They have a mutual option for next year. I'm sure the Reds want him back. But I don't know if Aurilia will agree unless he knows he's gonna play. And I don't blame him, because since he has been in a Red's uniform he has shown he can still play/contribute.

So where do you play him? 2B, while moving Phillips to SS?

Our OF is in a sorry shape as far as I'm concerned, from a defensive perspective. Dunn, I think, led the all NL LFers in errors. Jr is just slowed from age/injury. So if you move Jr to LF...

Where does Dunn go? What happens with Hatteberg? There is no way they resigned Hat to be a role player next year.

And what about Votta, who only knows 1B?

I have no problem trading a Hat in the off-season or by the deadline next year if there is an interested team, and it fills a need.

And there is no way the Reds are gonna go after a guy like Torii Hunter, who makes almost 11 Mil/year. And who I personally think is over-rated... .322 OB% .460 SLG% .782 OPS

Now maybe a guy like SD's Dave Roberts who comes alot cheaper (2.2 Mil/yr), you're not investing that much, and could be a stopgap for a year or two.

Or else give Deno a shot at it. I really don't think this kid has been given a fair look-see this year, or gotten the ABs to make a valued appraisal of this kid. I'm not saying he will succeed; but we need to find out. I think he does improve our defense though in the OF.

But the bulk of any monies, and our highest priority, has to be focused on improving this pitching staff.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

WK should continue his quixotic quest to bring every historically awful pitcher in baseball to Cincy for a tour of duty here. Joe Mays and Jason Johnson are nice starts, but what of Jose Lima? Why shouldn't he get to have some major league meal money in Cincy too? Come on Wayne, fair is fair. Be fair.

If I were Wayne, I'd be desperately searching for a doctor who can clone Ryan Freel. A team of Freels would be awesome.

Pitching and more pitching, pitchers that can actually limit the other teams ability to score runs.

Pitching first then the bats will come, build it then the people will come.

Hire P.T. Barnum to rid the Reds of the players with the greatest salaries to unsuspecting general managers in the American League to gain payroll flexibility.

Apply those resources toward pitching.
    Hire a solid pitching coach and bullpen coach that can actually improve pitchers.
    Hire a manager that actually knows how to use his pitching staff and other player resources one game at a time.

Gather up each of the old goats on the team and lease them all to a local petting zoo while their value is still high, in either case let them graze off of some other entities budget.

Replace them with some players who can actually hit, catch and throw the ball.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    If I were Wayne, I'd be desperately searching for a doctor who can clone Ryan Freel. A team of Freels would be awesome.
    Hrmmm.. But will the "Clone" Freels have Farney?

1) Trade Dunn.

2) Replace Narron with Lou Pinella.

3) Revamp bullpen by either signing 2 $2-5 MM free agents or by trade.

4) Sign another starter in the $5-7 MM range or trade for one.

5) Pick-up option on Rich Aurilia

6) Move Griffey to LF

7) Sign Juan Castro

8) Clarify pitching coach situation.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    1) Trade Dunn.

2) Replace Narron with Lou Pinella.

3) Revamp bullpen by either signing 2 $2-5 MM free agents or by trade.

4) Sign another starter in the $5-7 MM range or trade for one.

5) Pick-up option on Rich Aurilia

6) Move Griffey to LF

7) Sign Juan Castro

8) Clarify pitching coach situation.
    One $5 million starter?

Ugh. Let's hope to hell that trade of Dunn of yours nets the Reds two starters, one ace level, and one #3 level. And THEN add a 7 million dollar pitcher, cuz that's about what we'll need to offset the loss of Dunn without replacing him.

Turn Off Ads?