Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you were Wayne...

Man Pills

Re: If you were Wayne...

If I were Wayne, I'd avoid signing my silly pet projects (Lohse), eighty-six the 71 Toronado (Milton), and pimp and trade the hell out of the Reds minor league chips for starters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    One $5 million starter?

Ugh. Let's hope to hell that trade of Dunn of yours nets the Reds two starters, one ace level, and one #3 level. And THEN add a 7 million dollar pitcher, cuz that's about what we'll need to offset the loss of Dunn without replacing him.
    I don't think Dunn could fetch two solid starters. Maybe one and a prospect.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    1) Trade Dunn.
    If one thought that the trade of Lopez/Kearns hurt this offense, then you'd really put the "nail in the coffin" trading away Dunn. He leads this team in almost every offensive category. Who (or how) do you replace that?

2) Replace Narron with Lou Pinella.
    I like Lou; but he succeeded in Cincy, and then Seattle, because he was given talented teams. Makes it alot easier to manage. Yet how many of those M teams did he take to the WS?

He then leaves Seattle because he says management wasn't willing to spend more, on an already 90+ Mil payroll, in order to win. Where does he go? To TB, with one of the lowest payrolls in MLB, and what did he accomplish there? Yes, I know he also went there due to family considerations, but my point is he did very little to improve their situation and ended up butting heads with that management over the same issue he left Seattle - spending.

Even with Castellini as owner, you think that is gonna be any different?

And Lou Pinella is an "old school"/traditional manager as one can get. And I have serious reservations on his ability to evaluate/draft/develop young talent. This forum would be nailing him for his decisions probably as much as they do Narron.

3) Revamp bullpen by either signing 2 $2-5 MM free agents or by trade.

4) Sign another starter in the $5-7 MM range or trade for one.

5) Pick-up option on Rich Aurilia

6) Move Griffey to LF

7) Sign Juan Castro
    I agree with all the above; but Castro would be resigned only at a lesser amount. Being paid way too much for a role player.

I would also move Phillips to SS and look for a 2Bman. One option there is to try Aurilia/Freel, and serious give Deno a legit shot in this OF. I don't think we have so far this year. You can't expect any player to show consistent performance with the way he has been used. And he is a cheap option where monies could be used elsewhere (pitching).
    Last edited by GAC; 09-08-2006 at 05:05 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?