Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth baseball experience

Youth baseball experience

What was your youth baseball experience?

How long did you play?
    Position?
    Were you any good?

Any significant accomplishments or achievements?

Any embrassing stories to tell?

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-06-2006 at 07:34 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Youth baseball experience

I played for 5 years. I think I was 8 or so when I started and I started the year after T-ball. Whatever that is called.

Caught one year. Played 2B the rest of the time.

I fielded pretty well and could throw slightly above average (for a 10 year old - so take that FWIW) meaning I was accurate and could throw quickly/hard. I couldn't hit a ball to save my life, however. I flinched just about every time the ball came towards me and closed my eyes at the last second.

I think I got one double, several singles and a boatload of K's. Had Redzone existed for youth baseball I would have been the subject of many "Ltlabner strikes out way too often" threads.

I always enjoyed it. I'd love to start playing again but at 34 I'm not sure how to go about it (prob a church league or something).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-06-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

How long did you play? From the time I was 5 up until my sophomore year in highschool when I hurt my knee. I probably could have played again my senior year(last year), but I was still kind of gun-shy about it.

Position? Lifelong second basemen, with a few spot starts in the OF for All-Star games and such.

Were you any good? I don't think I was a superstar by any means, but I probably could have played in college had I stuck it out.

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? Umm, I was voted MVP of my youth league and travel-team, lol.

Any embrassing stories to tell? I do, but even on a board where I don't know anyone it's one I wouldn't even tell! lol

I played from t-ball until my freshman year of high school. I was a damn good second baseman (w/ the high socks, of course! )

I could have played in high school, but my heart was with soccer, and my high school's baseball team required their players to play fall ball, which was simply not going to happen w/ me.

HOWEVER: Thinking back, my baseball experiences were just as--if not more--fun and rewarding as my soccer accomplishments (which were MUCH greater. 2nd team all-state GK my Senior year).

Nice idea, Lt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The first time I played for a team, it was "D Ball" which is right after "tee-ball."
    Little kids...point being.

Anyway, I sucked. Anytime I played, it was RF, and any time I went to bat, I struck out.

Well, one day the stars must have aligned or whatever, because with 2 strikes and I guy on first, I swung and knocked the snot out of the ball, and perfectly down the RF line too. Their OF was of course playing way in, so the ball went sailing past the kid in RF by a mile.

I was so stunned, I just stood there watching it for I dont know how long, maybe a few seconds. Then the audio came back into my ears and the whole team was screaming "run! run! run!"

So I did. Made it to 1B on what should have been an easy triple (the guy on 1B scored easily).

That was my big "D Ball" moment sandwiched in between many walks and strikeouts.
    Last edited by Benny-Distefano; 09-06-2006 at 07:33 PM.

While my talent might have peaked in T-Ball--my love for the game has forever endured....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

How long did you play? 8-years-old through Senior year of High School. No such thing as tee-ball or coach pitch when I started!

Position? SS & 3rd-base

Were you any good? Pretty decent. More glove than bat. Fast runner that could steal a base. If only I could hit w/ my glove...

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? Played for a good HS program that won the league my Soph & Junior years.

Any embrassing stories to tell? Ejected from a game when I was 9-years-old for throwing my helmet. Hit a single and tried to stretch it into a double. I was dead to rights (out by 25 feet). Had time to get into a pickle and eventually got tagged out. In anger I threw the helmet as hard as I could. The ump did the right thing and tossed me immediately. I started crying and the manager had to come get me and walk me off the field. Pretty embarrassing... even for a 9-year-old! Lesson learned and got a good talking-to from my father.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I played from 3rd grade through 9th grade.

I was really awful when I was in grade school but by the time I got to junior high I could at least field and throw well enough to start. I played mostly 2nd base and center field. I really never could hit very well at all but I could take a walk.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I played everywhere and sucked at 'em all from the time I was 8 until about 14.

I played from coach pitch to the 5th grade and then again through high school. I don't really remember, but I assume that I sucked pretty bad when I was younger. I wasn't much better in high school, but I did letter three times and was an everyday varsity starter in right and center my senior year. I was a good outfielder and baserunner with a very good eye. Unfortunately I struggled to actually hit the ball. I only had one career varsity hit (but my 3 year JV line was something like .400/.550/.410. Yep, no power.).

My moment of glory actually came about a month ago in a rec league game. For some reason (probably because I was given some pretty good advice) I've been able to hit a lot better now than I ever could in high school. I still have no power, but I can work the count and put the ball in play. Anyway, I got a hit against this guy; a solid single into right. Not very impressive numbers overall, but he was good enough to pitch for an NAIA division 1 school and a professional team, so I'll take it. I'd never faced anyone as good as him in my life before, although I think I did face him once when we were both freshmen in high school. He wasn't quite as good then. :

What was your youth baseball experience? Pee-Wee league through High school/american legion tema

How long did you play? ^^^ not sure how many years that was... probably about 8-10

Position? 1B/P in younger leagues... moved to CF and the rest of the OF when older, and still pitched some

Were you any good? I made the all-star teams every year and played on my towns legion team (19 and under) from age 15 til 19

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? none other than all star teams I guess...

Any embrassing stories to tell? umm.... once dove for a ball at the fence but didn't realize I was that close and my face nailed the fence (caught the ball though).... another time I was pitching and the ball sipped out and it went way high (Rick Ankiel style)

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class? I never got to win a summer league championship (other than all star teams which I won probably 12) and it bothered me... I felt like an old veteran that could never win the big one (Reggie Miller, etc.)... came close one year with a bad team where I was basically the only above average player but we fell short... it was a great championship game though probably the best i've ever played... if I remember right I went like 4-5 with my only out being a long fly to deep center (I was a short, small lead off hitter w/o power so it was surprising), and about 4 double plays at 1B... one was unassisted.. I just remember the other players talking during the game about if we won then I was the MVP which made the loss a little easier to take

I miss baseball now, thanks.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

How long did you play?
    T-ball through Sophomore year of HS, so probably 8 years?

Position?
    Started as a 2B, then C for the bulk of it until Frosh year of HS when the Orthro told me no mas, then I was exiled to the OF and P

Were you any good?
    In middle school and Frosh year of HS I was. Soph year came around and I couldn't hit any breaking ball whatsoever. Fastball, offspeed, I owned. If it broke, it owned me. Frosh year batted .438 between Freshman ball, JV and some V experience. Soph year, batted .178.

Any significant accomplishments or achievements?
    In 6th grade I pitched a no-hitter vs. Fairfax. Wasn't a shutout, b/c I walked the bases loaded in the last inning, and walked two runs in. We still won, thankfully.

Any embrassing stories to tell?
    Sophomore year, we were playing Mariemont (our rival when I was at Indian Hill), guy on first, two outs, lefty at the plate, I'm in RF, guarding the line cuz this guy was a pull hitter. He hits a rope between the 1B and the line, but it's coming directly at me b/c of how I was positioned. Guy on 1B is making the turn, going to 3B. I field the ball, and let it fly towards 3B. Throw airmails the cutoff man, airmails 3B and doesn't land for probably another 50 feet until it breaks the driver side window of a car in the parking lot. I still get a good laugh at the play. I wish someone had it on tape.

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class?
    My love for the game transcended to loving to ump. I umped starting in middle school, and still do here and there from time to time. One of my best baseball memories was umping with my dad, who used to be head of umpires for Kenwood knothole. Odd father/son bonding at its best.

I started playing as soon as I was old enough to throw the ball all the way up to a senior in high school.

I ended up being in outfielder all through high school.

I have one lifetime home run. I still remember every detail of it. I started all through high school, but I considered myself an average player.

Not any individual accomplishments, but I was on some pretty good teams.

I was playing RF in a game my senior year. There was nobody on base and the hitter smacked one over my head. Got a great jump on it, had it played perfectly.......until I forgot to check where I was. Just as I was about to glove it, made contact at full speed with the chainlink fence that was used as the outfield wall. Got knocked to the ground and my foot stuck on the bottom of the fence. Centerfielder is yelling at me to throw the ball in the field but I couldn't reach it and I couldn't get out of the fence. The guy ended up with an inside the park home run. My coach couldn't decide to yell at me or laugh. If I remember right, he yelled at me and saved the laughing until after we won.

Playing baseball as a youth is playing the game at it's purist form. I have so many treasured memories.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Highlifeman, you must have had a cannon for an arm haha

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

I played CF on my HS team. I made varsity when I was a freshman.

Injured my rotator cuff when I was 14, never played since.

I was a good hitter, still am. I can still get around on an 80+ mph fastball. Which isn't too bad for an 34 year old that's been away from the game for 20 years. Never was great with the glove and the arm was even worse, but I was fast and got a great break on it.

Turn Off Ads?