Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chambliss is the problem

Chambliss is the problem

With the Reds hitting woes, I have to think Chris Chambliss is to blame. It seems the only way they score runs is by the long ball. They are horrible with runners in scoring position and very undisciplined at the plate as they get behind in the count way too much. Dunn and Griffey the major ones. Any good hitting coach would change these guys approaches to the plate and make them better hitters with a better knowlege of the strike zone. This team strikes out way too much and fails terribly when they need the big hit. I say can both Narron and Chambliss and get someone in there that will light a fire under these guys and make them better hitters or at least better contact hitters.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Chambliss is the problem

The Reds are third in the NL in K's, that's true.

They also lead the NL in BB's, and are 3rd in OBP. They are 4th in Slugging Pct, and 5th in runs scored.

All in all, the Reds are doing pretty good at the plate, for the season.

The last 2 weeks have been a pretty brutal slump. Not a season wide trend, but maybe a season ending slump?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

With all of the comebacks we've had this year, I wouldn't exactly say that they can't get the big hit.

I do think that they have a hard time manufacturing runs, which would show that they rely on the big hit too much.

I think this team has flourished offensively since Chambliss got here. We've been talking about guys playing over their heads the whole season. That is a huge sign of coaching that goes on I believe.

If Chris Chambliss is the problem, he's a problem that any number of teams would love to have. He would be picked up so quickly, your head would spin. We're witnessing a collective slump that is not unprecedented in baseball history. Of course, teams have come back from worse than this.

Griffey himself, as he was batting for a good average this month (albeit without much run production), credited Chambliss and his dad for getting him back on track. Chambliss has worked with Dunn and when Dunn's at his best, I believe it's when the coach is getting through to him.

Just some seriously bad karma going on.

Turn Off Ads?