Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Reds have been asleep at the wheel.

NPCoach

The Reds have been asleep at the wheel.

How can the Marlins build from scratch and win a World Series, dismantle and rebuild to win the World Series again, dismantle and rebuild to be more of a contender for the forseeable future than the Reds? The Marlins have done a good job of getting quality when they traded off their big name players through the years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds have been asleep at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by NPCoach View Post
    How can the Marlins build from scratch and win a World Series, dismantle and rebuild to win the World Series again, dismantle and rebuild to be more of a contender for the forseeable future than the Reds?
    Not just the Reds......a good 50% of the league could ask that same question.

Quote Originally Posted by NPCoach View Post
    How can the Marlins build from scratch and win a World Series, dismantle and rebuild to win the World Series again, dismantle and rebuild to be more of a contender for the forseeable future than the Reds? The Marlins have done a good job of getting quality when they traded off their big name players through the years.
    they make the hard decisions(the ones the Reds have refused to make) of who to build around and who is expandable and combine it with solid scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    they make the hard decisions(the ones the Reds have refused to make) of who to build around and who is expandable and combine it with solid scouting.

Agree, but the solid scouting part is the key. The hard decisions are a little less hard when there are solid young players ready to step in. The Reds haven't had that since the "crown jewel" years.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree, but the solid scouting part is the key. The hard decisions are a little less hard when there are solid young players ready to step in. The Reds haven't had that since the "crown jewel" years.
    The problems weren't created by WK, but by his predecessors. Although it looks like DanO did draft two studs in his two years.

The issue I have with WK is his draft this year. The Reds might have had a lights out closer next year if they had drafted Lincecum.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree, but the solid scouting part is the key. The hard decisions are a little less hard when there are solid young players ready to step in.
    It's also a little less hard when you've conceded the fact that you are building for the future and have no illusions of contending short-term. The fact that the Marlins are in the hunt this season is something nobody expected, even Marlins management. If Castellini came in this past off-season and decided to clean house and build for the future, Reds fans would have gone ballistic.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It's also a little less hard when you've conceded the fact that you are building for the future and have no illusions of contending short-term. The fact that the Marlins are in the hunt this season is something nobody expected, even Marlins management.
    that's right but it was a nice bonus. The Reds were just glad to be in it but didn't do a good job of assessing how they got there and if it was likely to continue. The Marlins thus having no expectation had no temptation to mortgage tomorrow for today. The Reds did that and now have nothing to show for it and are in worse shape for the future.

The Reds did that and now have nothing to show for it and are in worse shape for the future.
    If you are basing that on the fact that the Reds may have given up some bargaining power for the upcoming off-season, I could agree with that. If you are basing it on talent alone, I don't think the Reds are any worse shape than they were before.

Um, the Marlins are a .500 team. While I suppose that is an accomplishment, is it any moreso than the Reds (who were also picked to be awful) in a weak NL? Would they be .500 if it were not for a weak NL? Would their .500 record be noteworthy were it not for a weak NL?

If you are basing that on the fact that the Reds may have given up some bargaining power for the upcoming off-season, I could agree with that. If you are basing it on talent alone, I don't think the Reds are any worse shape than they were before.
    I somehow think that the Reds wouldn't get anything if they offered Majewski and Bray around.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Um, the Marlins are a .500 team.
    and have a boatload of young talent, unlike the Reds.

I somehow think that the Reds wouldn't get anything if they offered Majewski and Bray around.
    I'm not so sure I agree. They are both young, have good stuff, and have had success......that's a good amount of upside.

I'm not so sure I agree. They are both young, have good stuff, and have had success......that's a good amount of upside.
    I dont think there would be a market for Majeski because of injury concerns. I think there would be a lot of takers for Bray being young, talented, and lefty.

they are middle relievers, nothing special in that. Teams(not named the Reds) simply view relievers that aren't setup or closers as interchangeable parts. If they lose one they find another. The Reds problems was that they stupidly cast their lot with Burns, White and Hammond to start the season and had no real setup man or closer. Most of their relievers were fringe roster types at best.

they are middle relievers, nothing special in that. Teams(not named the Reds) simply view relievers that aren't setup or closers as interchangeable parts. If they lose one they find another. The Reds problems was that they stupidly cast their lot with Burns, White and Hammond to start the season and had no real setup man or closer. Most of their relievers were fringe roster types at best.
    Poor middle relievers at that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?