Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Ideas for the Reds

Marketing Ideas for the Reds

As folks have been talking about offseason moves, I wondered about ideas we, hardcore Reds fans, would offer to Reds management to bolster attendance in coming years.

I'd be interested in hearing ideas from folks and perhaps we can send them on to the Reds for consideration. I've had some ideas, although I'll admit I'm not sure of their merit. I have no expertise in marketing, but always have ideas. Of course, they may be doing some of this already and we're just not aware of it.

Just a few ideas I've mulled over.

Spanish language marketing With a growing Hispanic population in the region, it would be good to reach out in some of the Spanish language publications and broadcasts (Channel 12, for instance, is beginning a Spanish newscast). While baseball is not universally played in Latin America, there are enough folks from the baseball playing countries, plus you can do presentations that teach the game to those not familiar with it. While soccer has supplanted baseball in many places, particular as the sport to be played, I think the Reds (and MLB) would do well to work towards drawing these customers to themselves. A few years ago, the Reds always had their van at the Hispanic festival in Carthage. I didn't see them there, but I always thought it would be great to get some of the Latin players there too.

Urban Radio & Newspaper Again, this may be happening, but I wonder how much outreach and advertising the Reds do specifically geared towards drawing more African American fans to the game. When I go to other parks, I notice a larger number of black fans than I do at our park. We should be drawing from the whole community. Outreach to city schools is a good place to begin too (and not just Cincinnati city schools, but Hamilton, Covington, Newport, Princeton, etc.).

Ticket Vouchers for Volunteers Say what you will, Uncle Carl, certainly was philanthropic with tickets (among other things). I'd love to see the Reds do something like giving vouchers to schools and organizations to distribute to the folks that volunteer or do service around the community. Just a little thank you and some times you may be introducing a person to a game they can learn to love.

Creative promotions We discussed this on another link a long time ago. Something like the Dodgers "sleep over" nights, watch the game, sleep out on the field, watch a baseball movie on the Jumbotron.

Expand the Reds radio network This is easier said than done, but every effort should be made to restore the breadth of the Reds radio market. The team's success was always with the largeness of the overall market. We always drew up into areas that were also Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates, Indians, Tigers, etc. Marge Schott did not understand that and let that go down. I know it probably isn't easy, but it should be tried nonetheless. Part of the problem though, is that local affiliates with a 150 miles usually are unnecessary because WLW's signal is so strong, particuarly in clear weather. I remember being in Chillicothe to see the Paints play and asking the folks which station broadcast the Reds game. "700" was the answer, no one knew who broadcast it out that way other than WLW.

Get the team out there, particularly in the offseason How many of us remember a Reds player coming to the opening of a gas station or a grocery store. Whenever possible, the Reds should find area players who are willing to go out and meet fans during the offseason.

Well there's a handful. Fire away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marketing Ideas for the Reds

Fantastic thread.

I'd suggest two different approaches: Local & Fringe Markets (of course, all of these will be far more effective as the quality of the team increases).

Local:
    I'd agree that having Reds players more visable all over the local market is a good thing. People just respond to meeting a ballplayer (or any "celebrity"). If kids are meeting ballplayers ("Timmy, that's Adam Dunn!) it's likely they will hound mom and dad to go to at least one ballgame to see their new hero.

Expanding Chris Welch and Adam Dunn's "Mechanics of the Game" (Whatever it's called) to a 30 minute local TV show ala Baseaball Bunch. It doesn't have to be very fancy but it (1) exposes the Reds to a wide range of people (2) helps explain the game

Hire Kent Merker as a roving "emmesary" to give speeches, meet with the local Rotary Club, etc etc. He's funny and engaging. You'd have to tear him away from the golf course.

Lastly, I'd try to get every school child in the local area through the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame as a field trip or other school related activity. Again, it exposes them to baseball, it's presents the team in a "reverent" manner that is going to impress a child and hopefully create a lasting memory.

Fringe Market:
    Create a roving team that basically travels from town to town doing presentations on the Reds and baseball. Have it be one of those semi-truck deals that have lots of memorbilia. Almost like a traveling museum. It would take a lot of people but I'd haul that "Reds carnavale" to every small town and berg I could find. For the bigger cities you could have past and current Reds make guest appearances. Make sure they have a never ending supply of reds t-shirts, key chains, hats, etc. to give away.

I'd triple whatever the advertising budget is for "fringe markets". Have promotional nights aimed at bringing in out-of-towners. Travel so far get a $20gas card. There are many you could do. The point is restablishing all of the "Reds Markets" that once were and increasing that fan base.

A cable channel.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Another idea I came up with was to work with either (or both) the Underground Railroad Freedom Center and the Cincinnati Historical Society Museum to put together a display on Cincinnati Negro League baseball teams. February is Black History Month and it would be a good time to get fans down to the ballpark in the dead of winter. Perhaps they already have such a display, but just a cursory glance at the Hall of Fame website didn't show anything.

Winning
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Ltlabner wrote

Lastly, I'd try to get every school child in the local area through the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame as a field trip or other school related activity. Again, it exposes them to baseball, it's presents the team in a "reverent" manner that is going to impress a child and hopefully create a lasting memory.
    I see a link on the Hall of Fame website which is for school groups (see http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...eum/tours.jsp), but clearly this should be promoted more and more. They've got quite a lot of possible subject matter. And back to the ballplayer theme, see if you can get a player to stop by from time to time.

Another thought, they ought to add a Reading List to the website for English classes!

Creative promotions We discussed this on another link a long time ago. Something like the Dodgers "sleep over" nights, watch the game, sleep out on the field, watch a baseball movie on the Jumbotron.
    To build on my own idea and back to that "dead of winter" thing I mentioned. Do a dead of winter movie night. Doesn't the HOF have a little theater (I'm not sure it's very large), but there are some larger meeting type facilities that they could put up a screen and show some baseball flicks and throw in a tour of the museum with it.

Win!

I really like the idea about encouraging field trips to the museum and ballpark. Stepping up the scope of the Reds Caravan sounds good too.

In recent years the Bengals have taken to putting up billboards around the area. They had one right on my route home by WPAFB in Dayton last summer. You see them all over Cincinnati too. That would be a good move, imo.

Community nights sound like a good idea too: Columbus Night, Indianapolis Night, Lima Night, Lexington Night, etc. etc. Bring in those communities that were once Reds strongholds but have slipped in recent years.

Pump up RedsFest bigtime. Use radio commercials, print ads, even the aforementioned billboards. Get the word out. Then make sure that the big guys are there: Dunn, Arroyo, Freel, Harang, Junior....

Pump up RedsFest bigtime. Use radio commercials, print ads, even the aforementioned billboards. Get the word out. Then make sure that the big guys are there: Dunn, Arroyo, Freel, Harang, Junior....
    Speaking of RedsFest and the idea of field trips to the HOF and the ballpark, the Reds should set up a booth and display aimed at teachers and school administrators that tells them what programs are available.

Is the Reds Rover still active?

The Winter Caravan, when done correctly, is a very nice way to get into the papers. It used to be this big banquet type place, now its more of the Reds Winter Caravan and Bar Hopping.

I have a 1980 Reds Media guide - The Radio Network was absoutely fantastic then. They had stations in FLA, TEN, KY, IN, WV, and OH.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Homer Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I have a 1980 Reds Media guide - The Radio Network was absoutely fantastic then. They had stations in FLA, TEN, KY, IN, WV, and OH.
    I can remember as a youth our family always vacationed at Lake Dale Hollow in Tennessee and we never missed a game because there was a Reds station in Livingston. I remember listening as Pete's hit steak came to an end while camping there.

I emailed the Reds marketing department to tell them we were having this conversation on Redszone. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I emailed the Reds marketing department to tell them we were having this conversation on Redszone. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
    I got an email back from the Reds and they were going to take a look at the thread, so write away, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    My youngest's school class took a field trip to the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame this past spring. IIRC, the whole Mason 7th grade went (in groups that is).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?