Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We're losing because of a lack of "blue chip" performance...

We're losing because of a lack of "blue chip" performance...

Look at the teams in the fight: Phillies have Howard, Fish have Cabrera, Jints have Barry, Cards have Pujols. SD simply has monster pitching. But for the most part, these teams have their star hitters performing at this critical hour. We're stuck with an injured Griffey and Dunn hitting .204 in the past 30 days. Ouch. Imagine if Dunn had hit .270 (which still not that great) in that stretch. The Reds would be right in it.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We're losing because of a lack of "blue chip" performance...

Freel and Hatteberg were ice cold the last month as well. The Reds had three top of the order hitters in slumps. That hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Look at the teams in the fight: Phillies have Howard, Fish have Cabrera, Jints have Barry, Cards have Pujols. SD simply has monster pitching. But for the most part, these teams have their star hitters performing at this critical hour. We're stuck with an injured Griffey and Dunn hitting .204 in the past 30 days. Ouch. Imagine if Dunn had hit .270 (which still not that great) in that stretch. The Reds would be right in it.
    Yep. Sometimes you need your horses to pull the wagon. Howard has put the Phils on his back. He's the kind of player we hoped Dunn would be when he first arrived.

I think it's a little more complex that a hitter or two not getting it done. Let's not take crummy pitching off the hook (I think a lot of folks have fallen into the trap that bad pitching is somehow all right after years of awful pitching).

Yet I do agree that a stud bat on a tear would do the team a world of good. It's why I was in shock when Narron moved Dunn out of the #2 slot in August after he had been ripping apart the league in that spot. Narron literally went out and broke something that he'd fixed. I don't think it's terribly surprising that we've seen inconsistent play (from a wide range of players) given the inconsistent management.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Instead we get this:

Tom Archdeacon, Dayton Daily News
    The other day Hatteberg questioned if the Reds...who haven't had to play for anything in recent Septembers... still have guys who think they don't have to show up every day.
    Is resolve giving way to resignation?
    Dunn shrugged at the questions: "I have no idea. We're just playing bad at the wrong time. There's nothing we can do. I guess we could take extra batting practice, but that's not really going to do anything ..."
    But as he left the clubhouse, the big outfielder showed he was going to get some swings in.
    He picked up the golf bag by his locker, slung it over his shoulder and, with clubs rattling, headed for the door.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think it's a little more complex that a hitter or two not getting it done. Let's not take crummy pitching off the hook (I think a lot of folks have fallen into the trap that bad pitching is somehow all right after years of awful pitching).

Yet I do agree that a stud bat on a tear would do the team a world of good. It's why I was in shock when Narron moved Dunn out of the #2 slot in August after he had been ripping apart the league in that spot. Narron literally went out and broke something that he'd fixed. I don't think it's terribly surprising that we've seen inconsistent play (from a wide range of players) given the inconsistent management.
    Franchise players shouldn't have to bat second to perform in the stretch run. Maybe Narron was hoping for RBIs.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Instead we get this:
    Archdeacon is a hack and I take most of what he writes with a grain of salt... but you read this and it doesn't endear you to the "blue-chipper" of this team, even if it's only partly true.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The REDS don't have that one STUD position player.

Dunn is very good, but not as good as Berkman, Pujols, Cabrera et al...
    Griffey WAS a STUD but is no longer.
    Encarnación might be...but not yet.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The GM chose to mess with the dynamic of one of the top offenses in the league. Sometimes there is a price to be paid in making substantial changes(25%) to something that is working well.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Instead we get this:
    You also have a manager who lets guys get away with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    You also have a manager who lets guys get away with that stuff.
    A manager can't change who Dunn or any other player is. You can't make them want to work harder, and simply making them stay longer doesn't do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Franchise players shouldn't have to bat second to perform in the stretch run. Maybe Narron was hoping for RBIs.
    Your maybes bore me. Here's what we know. Dunn got sorted out when he went to the #2 hole (something folks around here have been clamoring for since the guy first came to the majors). You saw what happened when pitchers had to cut down on the amount of slop they throw Dunn with your own two eyes. Now he's back hitting lower and you've seen the slop quotient rise with your own two eyes. The idea here is to get consistent production from your big bat, right?

I'm not missing anything there am I?

Well, we know where Dunn gets to see consistent offerings in the strikezone. Wouldn't that seem like the right place to play him if what you want is consistent production? It also happens to be where he posts his best RBI rate, so if what Narron wanted was RBIs then I'd suggest batting Dunn in the #2 hole where he gets more RBIs.

Seriously, at what point do you recognize that one thing has clearly worked better than the alternatives? And feel free to add Scott Hatteberg's banishment from the #2 slot into that mix.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    The GM chose to mess with the dynamic of one of the top offenses in the league. Sometimes there is a price to be paid in making substantial changes(25%) to something that is working well.
    Show me one statistic that proves the offensive struggles are tied to Kearns-Lopez. Dunn had his best month of the season after that trade.

The GM chose to mess with an area of strength(offense) to attempt to address areas of weakness(defense, relief pitching). In hindsight, he did little to help the weak areas and had a negative impact on the strength. Now one could argue that "the trade" had little to do with the offensive struggles of this club but there has been a performance drop offensively in the 2nd half of the season. The trade certainly affected the offensive depth and dymanic of this club and there was no reserve to pick up dropoffs in offensive performance of individual players.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Show me one statistic that proves the offensive struggles are tied to Kearns-Lopez.
    Show that it isn't? Can't one way or another, it is purely speculative. What can be shown is the offense has dropped off in the 2nd half of the season, sometimes when you change what is working there can be unintended consequences.

Dunns best month was April.

Turn Off Ads?