Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My little brother

My little brother

I know a lot of people in and around the game of baseball complain about what the game has turned in to. A lot of people are unhappy with batter's standing in the batter's box watching their home runs fly out of the park, and of pitcher's pumping their fist and screaming after a routine strikeout, and many feel that younger kids see this, and try to copy their actions. But I just wanted to say that I have a 5 year old little brother, and he's seen Bonds stare at long home runs, and Manny Ramirez not run hard down the first base line. But he's also seen Ryan Freel play, and Ryan Freel is the guy that he copies in the back yard. I was pitching to him, and he tried to drop down more than one bunt, and I could not remember the last time a 5 year old tried to drop down a bunt to get on base. He eventually got tired of hitting and wanted to field, and I hit him a few balls, one that was way to his left, and he layed out and dove for the ball!! He didn't catch it, the ball came out as he hit the ground, but I COULD NOT believe it. He said "Jonny, Jonny, I'm Ryan Freel!!!!" I just wanted to point that out, because kids DO recognize guys like Ryan Freel, and I think more often than not the Freel's have more of an impact on kids that age than the likes of Ramirez and other's. It's great to see, and I wish more players were like Freel. Despite the lack of sportsmanship in today's game, there are still guys that play the game the right way, and the young kids more than recognize that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My little brother

What a great story!

For what it's worth, I LOVED Aaron Boone while he was here for the way he played (and a little because he was super-hot). I was in high school when he first came up so I guess I wasn't quite as impressionable as a five-year old, but his style of play really made me take notice. He always gives 110% on the field and you can tell that he loves the game by the way he plays. I'd much rather watch someone who plays all out like Freel and Boone than someone who just hits bombs.

Although, I do appreciate a nice bomb every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    What a great story!

For what it's worth, I LOVED Aaron Boone while he was here for the way he played (and a little because he was super-hot). I was in high school when he first came up so I guess I wasn't quite as impressionable as a five-year old, but his style of play really made me take notice. He always gives 110% on the field and you can tell that he loves the game by the way he plays. I'd much rather watch someone who plays all out like Freel and Boone than someone who just hits bombs.

Although, I do appreciate a nice bomb every now and then.
    OK, so I'm assuming you're a female (or perhaps a male -- not that there's anything wrong with that ).

I've always wondered how much a player's looks affects an impressionable female's evaluation of the player. Was Aaron Boone really as good as you thought he was -- or did those All-American good looks sway you? Or, would a good-looking player who produces horribly make you feel like he's less attractive?

I'd like input, though I feel TeamBoone is going to present the most compelling argument. After all, how strong would her attraction be if Dunn hit .195 with 10 dingers and 42 RBIs?

Also, what would be an equally persuasive trait to woo the male fans? Hustle? Power? Cool cars? Hot wives? Is there any possible thing Royce Clayton could possess to make us think he's better than he really is?

Is this a stupid thing to discuss? Obviously. But the thought of discussing something relevant to the current team depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by JEA View Post

Also, what would be an equally persuasive trait to woo the male fans? Hustle? Power? Cool cars? Hot wives? Is there any possible thing Royce Clayton could possess to make us think he's better than he really is?
    Not to hijack the thread....but (non-baseball related) I really like Maria Sharapova and Daniella Hantuchova. I don't think they are better tennis players, but I do like them.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Great story. I have 3 nephews who are around that same age and I'm trying to gauge their interest in the sport so that when they're ready to learn, I'll be able to show them some things. Right now they aren't taking any sport too seriously, but I hope when they do, they go about it the same way.

would a good-looking player who produces horribly make you feel like he's less attractive?
    Gabe Kapler. And the answer is, "hell, no". Some things really do transcend baseball. Maybe not a lot of things. But some, most definitely.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Is he riding a bike yet? You can show him how to pop "Freelies".
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Hahaha. Actually he is riding his bike, so I'll definitely have to show him eventually how to pop "Freelies." That is if I can do it without seriously harming myself.

OK, so I'm assuming you're a female (or perhaps a male -- not that there's anything wrong with that ).
    Female, indeed.

I've always wondered how much a player's looks affects an impressionable female's evaluation of the player. Was Aaron Boone really as good as you thought he was -- or did those All-American good looks sway you? Or, would a good-looking player who produces horribly make you feel like he's less attractive?

I'd like input, though I feel TeamBoone is going to present the most compelling argument. After all, how strong would her attraction be if Dunn hit .195 with 10 dingers and 42 RBIs?
    I'm not saying Aaron Boone was the best player ever; I realized his flaws as a player (very streaky hitter, overthrowing first, etc.). Yes, he's super-fine, but what I really liked about him was his style of play. He dove all over the place to make plays and I love watching that kind of player. Anyone remember his concussion-yiedling dive into the camera well this year? His and Freel's style of play make me really enjoy the game of baseball. You can tell how much they love the game and what they do because of the way they play. They aren't afraid to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the team.

Now, I also think that Russell Branyan is quite attractive, but I'm well aware that he sucks . His good looks do nothing in the way of hypnotizing me to think he is one of the great players in the game today.

Is this a stupid thing to discuss? Obviously. But the thought of discussing something relevant to the current team depresses me.
    Hang in there. We've still got a couple of weeks left and the Dodgers, Marlins, and D-Backs all lost last night!

Turn Off Ads?