Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Manager's Job

A Manager's Job

From Marc's blog:

Since the Piniella fantasies and their various offshoots seem to have sprouted again in recent weeks, I found it interesting to read this notebook in the Milwaukee paper today. From my observations in big-league clubhouses, I'd say Yost's opinions are dead on.

As much as fans might enjoy the idea of fire and brimstone, I just don't know that it works in modern baseball. The length of the baseball season is what differentiates it from every other sport -- playing virtually every day from the first of March through the first of October, with a couple weeks of practices before that. It's the ultimate grind, and players will tune out a shrill, overbearing manager/coach in a hurry.

The biggest part of a manager's job -- one that takes place almost entirely out of the public eye -- is managing the personalities in the clubhouse. That's not just maintaining team chemistry but also keeping tabs on when someone might be fighting through or trying to hide an injury or simply needs a day off to recharge. The three hours Jerry Narron spends in the dugout each day represents only a fraction of the time he actually puts in at the ballpark.

Anyway, as I said, I think Yost makes some very good points. And even though the Brewers have gone in the tank lately, I don't know that many other managers would have been able to squeeze more out of that group the last couple of years.
    Here's the link to the Milwaukee story.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=492929

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Manager's Job

One excerpt from Yost's interview:

"No managers do that; none," said Yost. "I just find it funny that people think my job is to scream and yell every single day at these guys. That's not the way the game is played. That's why you pick your times to have your meetings.

"Meetings get old, too, if you have too many of them. They lose their purpose, they lose their point if you have meeting after meeting. I may close the door and air them out once a year, maybe twice. Sometimes we just sit down and talk. We had one of those a couple of days ago."

Piniella fantasies in recent weeks?

Interesting. Makes you wonder if the Reds front office isn't very happy with Jerry Narron at the moment. If word is going around and Marc heard it, you know Jerry heard it too.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Piniella fantasies in recent weeks?

Interesting. Makes you wonder if the Reds front office isn't very happy with Jerry Narron at the moment. If word is going around and Marc heard it, you know Jerry heard it too.
    I think he's probably referring to the comments he gets on the blog, not unlike here at RedsZone and probably every other Reds board (and from the sound of it, any Brewers board).

My Pinella fantasy. We are in a close game in mid-summer. The Reds are up by a run going into the eight inning. EE returns to the field for the eighth inning. After the opposing teams ties the game, EE comes to bat with 2 out (Freel led off the inning with a walk, stole second--Dunn and Griffey K'd). EE hits a solid shot up the middle. Reds win. Juan Castro comes off the bench to shake EE's hand.

Here is another: Reds up by 3 going into the seventh inning. Eric Milton has pitched well. He gives up a sharp lead-off double to start the seventh. Lou calmly walks out of the dugout, indicates he wants the righty out of the bullpen. Todd Coffey comes sprinting in. 9 outs later, the Reds win.

Oh another: The opposing team is throwing a rookie. The manager gets all the players and coaches and has them watch plenty of tape of the rookie throwing. Ryan Freel leads off the game with a bunt. Adam Dunn batting second swings at the first pitch (which is down the middle of the plate) for a homer. Ken Griffey Jr. actually draws a walk. Ed E. (who has previously faced the rookie in the minors) doubles off the wall. The Hat draws a walk. The Reds score 6 in the first and go on to win.

I could go on and on. In my fantasy Pinella world, the Reds win the Division with exactly the same personnel they have had all year. In the real Narron world they consistently lose games due to strange decisions.
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 09-08-2006 at 10:43 AM.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    I could go on and on. In my fantasy Pinella world, the Reds win the Division with exactly the same personnel they have had all year. In the real Narron world the consistently lose games due to strange decisions.
    You should read the book Three Nights In August about Tony LaRussa and his managing. Film work is generally voluntary even in the best clubhouses. I don't even know if the Reds utilize it and if they don't, that's a upper management decision, one which ought to be revisted. But as Yost correctly notes, the players ultimately have to do the playing. Don't kid yourself, Lou Piniella is a panacea. He's no brighter than Jerry Narron and as I've said repeatedly, I think this club will be well served by finally having some stability in the managerial office. Hate him if you will, he's a good manager whose done in incredible job with a roster that's been a work in progress all season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You should read the book Three Nights In August about Tony LaRussa and his managing. Film work is generally voluntary even in the best clubhouses. I don't even know if the Reds utilize it and if they don't, that's a upper management decision, one which ought to be revisted. But as Yost correctly notes, the players ultimately have to do the playing. Don't kid yourself, Lou Piniella is a panacea. He's no brighter than Jerry Narron and as I've said repeatedly, I think this club will be well served by finally having some stability in the managerial office. Hate him if you will, he's a good manager whose done in incredible job with a roster that's been a work in progress all season.
    It looks like it is going to be a long long winter.

Yes, I read the book. Film work may be voluntary--but if there is access to it, they should be in there. Does anyone know to what extent the Reds have film/video capablities?

I disagree with you that Lou Piniella is no brighter than Jerry Narron, but neither of us have the IQ test results to see who is correct. I have said before Narron is a good manager in the fact that he seems to have the respect of the players. However, in game situations, I feel he is not good and I think most of the "Narron Haters" probably would agree with this assessment. And to the statement that the players do the playing, that is true, but when your best players aren't in there in the situations that they should be in there, the players can't be blamed.
    Win the Division

Yes, I read the book. Film work may be voluntary--but if there is access to it, they should be in there. Does anyone know to what extent the Reds have film/video capablities?
    Video-Replay Room

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...n&fext=.jsp#90

Like many Major League Baseball teams, the Cincinnati Reds utilize video technology to critique players' swings and to study opposing pitchers. A video-replay room in Great American Ball Park provides state-of-the-art equipment for two Reds baseball-operations assistants who specialize in this cutting-edge technology. Players have easy access to this facility from the home clubhouse and dugout.

Thanks WOY. Now I wonder if the players and coaches/manager ever use it?
    Win the Division

Turn Off Ads?