Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone game for dangling David Ross this offseason?

Anyone game for dangling David Ross this offseason?

I know, I know - why would you want to trade a catcher with that much offensive production and be left to start either Valentin or LaRue?

From my vantage point, though, it's about selling high with a player who is going to have a very difficult time repeating an outstanding season. In fact, this is what I wish the Reds had done last year with Valentin. Ross's performance has been over the entire course of the season whereas Valentin's was limited to the second half, but I still don't see anything in Ross's history that shows him having the ability to hit like this consistently.

Take a look at his minor league stats: (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...vid-Ross.shtml)

1999 - HiA - 114 games - .227/.316/.339
    2000 - HiA - 51 games - .257/.319/.435
    2000 - AA - 24 games - .209/.308/.403
    2001 - AA - 74 games - .264/.357/.459
    2002 - AAA - 92 games - .297/.384/.519
    2003 - AAA - 24 games - .221/.313/.442

His only minor-league season with a 900+ OPS came in 2002 when he played in the Pacific Coast League as a 25-year-old. Otherwise, his minor-league numbers have been mediocre at best at every stop, and usually worse.

Coming into this year, his major league numbers looked like this:

169 games, 424 ABs, 19 homers, 50 RBIs, .217/.288/.406

To me, we need to at least see what the market is out there and see if we can cash in Ross for some big-time help in other areas. The market should be pretty good for a catcher with a good defensive reputation coming off a big offensive season. I just don't see him continuing this play in the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Anyone game for dangling David Ross this offseason?

Sell high.

We bought low.

If David Ross version 2006 isn't the crystal clear definition of career year, I don't know what is.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I would be very comfortable having LaRue as the regular catcher next season with Valentine as the back-up. I expect a full bounceback from LaRue next season.

With that said, I would trade Ross assuming we could get some good value for him. If there are only middling offers for Ross, I would also be fine with trading LaRue if someone would eat his contract instead of using the 3 catcher rotation again. I expect that there will be some fine offers for Ross knowing the year he had and that he's pretty inexpensive.

I don't think that will be "our" decision to make.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I have no problem, as long as we get something in return that actually helps us.

I think Larue can rebound. I am not reading his mind, but I'd be a bit afraid that he feels betrayed by Wayne though. I still feel as though he does his best, but it would probably be easier for him to rebound somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe if Ross gets traded and he gets his job back, he'll be happy and back to normal.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I'm not sure there would be much of a market for Ross. Everyone else in the world knows he had a career year, also.

Let's keep 3 catchers!
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I see no reason to trade David Ross unless we are overwhelmed with a great offer either good prospects or solid ML players. As far as 3 catchers, it really hasn't hurt us this year, so I see no harm in it.

The way I see it dangle anyone and everyone. If I can get more value than the guy I'm trading it's a deal. However I'm not high on starting LaRue and I don't think management is either. Those of you who are, let's hope there's a GM who shares your opinion of that guy...

Hell no.

He's still on pace for 70 Homeruns (assuming he played almost daily)

We can't trade him!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Hell no.

He's still on pace for 70 Homeruns (assuming he played almost daily)

We can't trade him!
    Actually - that is the opportune time to trade a guy like Ross IF the return is someone who can really help this team.

Right now, the only people I wouldn't trade are Harang, Arroyo, Dunn, EE, and Phillips. Everyone else? Lets make a deal.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Actually - that is the opportune time to trade a guy like Ross IF the return is someone who can really help this team.

Right now, the only people I wouldn't trade are Harang, Arroyo, Dunn, EE, and Phillips. Everyone else? Lets make a deal.
    My don't trade list is even shorter: Harang, Arroyo and EE.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    My don't trade list is even shorter: Harang, Arroyo and EE.
    I've got one shorter than that (ugh... that didn't sound right): No one.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Sell high.

We bought low.

If David Ross version 2006 isn't the crystal clear definition of career year, I don't know what is.
    I'll vote no and repeat what I say ad infinitum, you can't tell a career year until well into a career. We may well be seeing Ross finally developing into the player he was meant to be. I'll take my chances with him and work overtime on unloading LaRue's contract.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'll vote no and repeat what I say ad infinitum, you can't tell a career year until well into a career. We may well be seeing Ross finally developing into the player he was meant to be. I'll take my chances with him and work overtime on unloading LaRue's contract.
    His offense will never be good enough to make up for his defensive shortcomings. But then, we have absolutely no catcher in the minors, unless there is one playing rookie ball. He is probably the best option in the org at this time. LaRue can probably bring more than Ross, even with his lost year.

Turn Off Ads?