Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 170

Thread: Dunn.. And His Comments..

  1. #1
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Dunn.. And His Comments..

    DaytonDailyNews/Tom Archdeacon

    The other day Hatteberg questioned if the Reds who haven't had to play for anything in recent Septembers still have guys who think they don't have to show up every day.

    Is resolve giving way to resignation?

    Dunn shrugged at the questions: "I have no idea. We're just playing bad at the wrong time. There's nothing we can do. I guess we could take extra batting practice, but that's not really going to do anything ..."

    But as he left the clubhouse, the big outfielder showed he was going to get some swings in.

    He picked up the golf bag by his locker, slung it over his shoulder and, with clubs rattling, headed for the door.

    Might as well start working on the game he'll be playing when the postseason starts.
    I don't really know if Dunn is joking, or what. You have to think with your team in reach of the playoffs and you have a guy make comments like that and then grab your golf bag instead of your bat bag. This brings me back to comments he made last year when the Reds were in Houston and he basically said he'd love to play in front of his hometown crowd for the 'Stros.

    Does he want to be here? Does he want to win? Does he care? Is it because Football is here and Texas is #2 and playing for #1 when they face top ranked Ohio State?

    Dunn got a pretty sweet contract at the beginning of the year and to not want to improve his game or teams chances of winning. I'm sure other players see this and think he's not here why should I? I'm going to use Edwin Encarnacion as an example because it has been heavily documented..but the kid was dubbed 3rd baseman of the futures and given 3rd once Joe Randa was dealt. He lost his job this season not because of his offense but because of his errors. This motivated him to go out everyday before anyone to practice fielding over and over and over. Edwin doesn't even make one tenth of what Dunn does and out there trying to better himself and his team chances to win.

    As a fan I see this and think.. Jerry, are you going to be a players manager or a hard nose guy? Along with the above questions I also think that if I was Wayne this offseason I would dangle Dunn to see what teams are willing to give up for him. As a fan... I want this team to at least want to go out and win. I want them to play baseball and only baseball from March to October.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Well - it's that time of year again. Every year it is the same thought - a perpetual weed around here, when the Reds start tanking, its time for "Let's get rid of Adam Dunn" rooters to come out of the woodwork.

    Last time I checked, there are (allegedly) 24 other players that make up the Reds Roster. What about the other members of the club? Can't a guy leave his job and hit a golf course for relaxation? For you golfers, that's the ultimate - going out of work early - and playing 18. We do, why can't Adam Dunn?

    He's a guy who has a job just like the rest of us. It's just upsetting to us because his job gives us entertainment and lately the Reds haven't been entertaining.

    Wayne Krivsky doesn't have to dangle Dunn. He gets calls every day during the season about Adam Dunn. Thankfully, he says "No Thank You" and hangs up.

    If Wayne Krvisky could do one thing for Dunn, is to give him a 1st baseman's mitt for Christmas.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  4. #3
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Respectfully - I think you're making much ado about nothing and/or trying to read somthing else into his comments. Yes, Dunn's play for the last month, from an offensive perspective, has really fallen off. But are you (or anyone, including Archdeacon) suggesting that it's due to his supposed indifferent attitude and, as some have tried to suggest - poor work ethic OR is it simply as he states..... "We're just playing bad at the wrong time." And they are - not just Dunn.

    Look at how many games per season this guy has played in.....

    2004 - 161
    2005 - 160
    2006 - 138 (so far)

    The guy has been in there and healthy.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-08-2006 at 07:51 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Can't a guy leave his job and hit a golf course for relaxation? For you golfers, that's the ultimate - going out of work early - and playing 18. We do, why can't Adam Dunn?
    Nope. He can't. He has to be in the batting cage 24/7 to show some that he really cares.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #5
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,688

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Dunn got a pretty sweet contract at the beginning of the year and to not want to improve his game or teams chances of winning. I'm sure other players see this and think he's not here why should I?
    Generalize much? Do you personally know Adam Dunn?

    You think after 5 months of ML baseball that the guy is supposed to hit off of a tee for 2 hours each night AFTER THE GAME? You don't think seeing ML pitching for 5 months straight (not incl. Spring Training) is good enough? You don't think being at the park a few hours before game time and practicing is not enough. Amazing, but no surprise. Edwin? No rip on Edwin, but please tell us about his workout routine since you seem to know the ENTIRE behind the scenes scenario.

    Tom Archdeacon? That DUI-offending writer should stick to what he is good at... feel-good stories that involve some person who came back from a tragic event of some sort. He is good at that sort of thing. Of course he'll have people buy into BS when he occasionally writes it (as seen here), but not most.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  7. #6
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    DaytonDailyNews/Tom Archdeacon



    I don't really know if Dunn is joking, or what. You have to think with your team in reach of the playoffs and you have a guy make comments like that and then grab your golf bag instead of your bat bag. This brings me back to comments he made last year when the Reds were in Houston and he basically said he'd love to play in front of his hometown crowd for the 'Stros.

    Does he want to be here? Does he want to win? Does he care? Is it because Football is here and Texas is #2 and playing for #1 when they face top ranked Ohio State?

    Dunn got a pretty sweet contract at the beginning of the year and to not want to improve his game or teams chances of winning. I'm sure other players see this and think he's not here why should I? I'm going to use Edwin Encarnacion as an example because it has been heavily documented..but the kid was dubbed 3rd baseman of the futures and given 3rd once Joe Randa was dealt. He lost his job this season not because of his offense but because of his errors. This motivated him to go out everyday before anyone to practice fielding over and over and over. Edwin doesn't even make one tenth of what Dunn does and out there trying to better himself and his team chances to win.

    As a fan I see this and think.. Jerry, are you going to be a players manager or a hard nose guy? Along with the above questions I also think that if I was Wayne this offseason I would dangle Dunn to see what teams are willing to give up for him. As a fan... I want this team to at least want to go out and win. I want them to play baseball and only baseball from March to October.
    Yep. Adam hates winning.

  8. #7
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,420

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Can't a guy leave his job and hit a golf course for relaxation? For you golfers, that's the ultimate - going out of work early - and playing 18. We do, why can't Adam Dunn?

    He's a guy who has a job just like the rest of us. It's just upsetting to us because his job gives us entertainment and lately the Reds haven't been entertaining.

    If Wayne Krvisky could do one thing for Dunn, is to give him a 1st baseman's mitt for Christmas.
    I would never begrudge a person his or her recreation time. Whether it be golf, fishing, macrame, etc., etc., we all need an outlet beyond the normal 9-5 day.

    Should a person be able to leave work early to play golf? I dunno. I would have a hard time looking my coworkers in the eye the next morning if I flaked out early to golf, especailly if there was pressing work to be done.

    Should baseball be a 24/7 job? No, of course not. But if I and/or my coworkers have had a bad day at the office, a good coworker is not going to flaunt his or her recreational activities as they head out the door.

    Then there's the issue of why his golf clubs were in the clubhouse in the first place. Any of you other golfers physically bring your clubs into the office??? The only logical explanation I could figure for this one is that one of the clubhouse guys was regripping them or something of that nature. Otherwise, there is no reason for golf clubs to be in an "office."

    One last item in this rant... 1st base. Never gonna happen. Why? Because Dunn doesn't want to. Exhibit A: Spring Training 2006. Of course, then I guess we do have Mr. Dunn to thank for Scott Hatteberg. Which ain't all bad.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #8
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,313

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    I still desperately want the Reds to trade Dunn, but I do agree this writer is searching here.

  10. #9
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Should a person be able to leave work early to play golf? I dunno. I would have a hard time looking my coworkers in the eye the next morning if I flaked out early to golf, especailly if there was pressing work to be done.
    Where did it say he left early? And left early from what? And what pressing work was to be done? It was post-game, the game was over, so the guy is basically heading out FROM WORK after probably being at the ballpark hours before the game in preparation, taking BP. Would that be considered overtime?

    But if I and/or my coworkers have had a bad day at the office, a good coworker is not going to flaunt his or her recreational activities as they head out the door.
    Flaunting it? He didn't go searching out that reporter and his camera. They came to him. What was he suppose to do? - stash the clubs in his locker till after the interview so as to not give the wrong impression?

    Then there's the issue of why his golf clubs were in the clubhouse in the first place. Any of you other golfers physically bring your clubs into the office??? The only logical explanation I could figure for this one is that one of the clubhouse guys was regripping them or something of that nature. Otherwise, there is no reason for golf clubs to be in an "office."
    A lockerroom is not the same as an office. So lets get serious here. But I bet there are alot of management people around this country that do, and also sneak off early to play golf, entertain clients, and them claim it as a business write off on their taxes.

    NOTE TO ADAM: Next time - hide the @#$! clubs in your car and tell the interviewer you don't have time to talk because you want to go play some golf and relax. I could just imagine the headline of the article the next day.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #10
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,420

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    GAC -- Read the quotes I was responding to. Heath mentioned leaving early. I was responding to him, not to Dunn's specific situation.

    As far as him "flaunting" his golfing, I was discussing my own personal behavior modifications after a bad day. I would not flaunt it. As far as what his (and every other player's) interactions with reporters in the locker room, sure he didn't go over to Archdeacon and say "Look Tom, sweet clubs, huh? I'm getting out of here ASAP and heading over to Neuman Golf." But guys know reporters are in the clubhouse, they know their every move, word, and mannerism is dissected. Be savvy (or smart) enought to know how things will be perceived and avoid having negative threads started about you on the internet.

    I agree, the locker room is not the same as an office, but we always hear about this being the players' job, so I feel it's a fair comparison. And I disagree with you on management types who take their clubs into their office. If they do, they don't stay in one place very long.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #11
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,350

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    As far as him "flaunting" his golfing, I was discussing my own personal behavior modifications after a bad day. I would not flaunt it. As far as what his (and every other player's) interactions with reporters in the locker room, sure he didn't go over to Archdeacon and say "Look Tom, sweet clubs, huh? I'm getting out of here ASAP and heading over to Neuman Golf." But guys know reporters are in the clubhouse, they know their every move, word, and mannerism is dissected. Be savvy (or smart) enought to know how things will be perceived and avoid having negative threads started about you on the internet.
    Ballplayers have been taking their clubs in the locker room ever since they started having locker rooms.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #12
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Narron should offer to trade him his chair back for the clubs.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  14. #13
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    The thing that I find amusing is that others think that losing/having a bad game should ruin their day and affect the rest of players lives. You prepare and then go out an play as hard as you can, when it's over you move on.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  15. #14
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,420

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Ballplayers have been taking their clubs in the locker room ever since they started having locker rooms.
    My question is... Why? Why should a baseball player (any player, not just Dunn) have his golf clubs in a locker room? It's not liked he's parked in a bad neighborhood. Having them regripped?

    I very rarely say this, but IF I were boss, no stinking golf clubs in the place of business!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  16. #15
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,541

    Re: Dunn.. And His Comments..

    The issue with Adam Dunn is not about golf bags or fishing poles. It is the fact that his game has not shown improvement over the past 3 or 4 years. You'd think a guy in his early 20s would show improvement. His strike outs have continued to lead the league. He has not learned to hit the ball to LF, his average has not improved (hitting with RISP has been abysmal) nor has his defense. This lack of improvement along with putting on 30 lbs makes it look like he's not a hard worker. It looks like he's satisfied hitting 40 HRs a year and knocking in 100 and he's so gifted he can do that without working at it like Pete Rose,Tony Gwynn or even Albert Puhols. How often do you hear that Albert is a student of the game and studies his ABs in the clubhouse even during a game? Nobody has ever accused Dunn of being a student of the game.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25