Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sept. 8: Reds Vs Pirates Gamethread

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Sept. 8: Reds Vs Pirates Gamethread

I remember Scott Hatteberg getting ragged on pretty good when he was acquired. Then he performed, and the peanut gallery went and found some other whipping boy, without a retraction from the "Hatteburg is worthless" posters. Welcome to the Reds, Majewski. Just perform, and the hecklers go away quietly, without an apology, of course, but they go away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Excellent post, Traderumor!

Did anyone else notice the little tinge of a smile on Majewski's face following the last out. I'd almost bet my life that he had to restrain himself from jumping up and down on the mound and screaming "hell yeah!".

Congrats Maj! And to the whole team. They played well tonight, offensively and defensively.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Didn't see the game tonight.....but Lohse, sheesh. 7 starts of 2.82 baseball. What an excellent pickup he has been. Better that Maddux has been for the Doyers even.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Great win! Kyle Lohse pitched very well! I am impressed with his athleticism. If he could harness his physical tools, he could become a very good pitcher.

Great night at the plate by Javier Valentin! Two HRs (including an opposite-field shot), and he just missed his third homer, getting a hard single off the top of the wall. Ryan Freel led off the first with a homer, his first of three hits on the night, and Rich Aurilia (The Nature Boy) also had three knocks.

Congratulations to Adam Dunn, who became only the second player in Reds history to have three 40-HR seasons, following Ted Kluszewski. (And like Klu, all three seasons are consecutive!)

Also, congratulations to Dunn, as he is now tied with Barry Larkin for seventh place on the Reds all-time HR list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    5. George Foster - 244
    6. Eric Davis - 203
    7. Barry Larkin - 198
    7. Adam Dunn - 198
    9. Vada Pinson - 186
    10. Wally Post - 172
    11. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 164
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I remember Scott Hatteberg getting ragged on pretty good when he was acquired. Then he performed, and the peanut gallery went and found some other whipping boy, without a retraction from the "Hatteburg is worthless" posters. Welcome to the Reds, Majewski. Just perform, and the hecklers go away quietly, without an apology, of course, but they go away.
    Hat extended his errorless streak at 1B to 91 games - the most of any 1Bman this season.

And some really ragged on this guy saying his D really hurt the team.

What I really lked was ESPN's headline for last night's game....

Dunn's 40th Keys Reds

Now c'mon! It was 4-1 Reds by the time Adam hit his, and as far as I'm concerned the game MVP was Valentin who went 3 fer 4 with 2 Hrs and 3 RBIs.

But I do congratulate Adam for being only the 2nd Red to have 3 consecutive seasons with 40 Hrs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Man Pills

When Majewski contributes and contributes consistently when it counts he'll get an apology from me. You can hold me to it. I don't, however, expect Majewski to be an integral part of any stretch run in the future.

I think everyone recognized when he was acquired that Hatteberg could be at worst a nice help off the bench. Those who called him worthless were few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Hat extended his errorless streak at 1B to 91 games - the most of any 1Bman this season.

And some really ragged on this guy saying his D really hurt the team.

What I really lked was ESPN's headline for last night's game....

Dunn's 40th Keys Reds

Now c'mon! It was 4-1 Reds by the time Adam hit his, and as far as I'm concerned the game MVP was Valentin who went 3 fer 4 with 2 Hrs and 3 RBIs.

But I do congratulate Adam for being only the 2nd Red to have 3 consecutive seasons with 40 Hrs.
    Not only is Dunn only the second Red to have three consecutive 40-HR seasons, he is only the second Reds to have three 40-HR seasons period. Like Kluszewski, Dunn recorded his three 40-HR seasons in consecutive years. But nobody else in Reds history even has three 40-HR seasons. (Bench and Foster did it twice, while Post, Perez, Vaughn and Griffey Jr. did it once.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think everyone recognized when he was acquired that Hatteberg could be at worst a nice help off the bench. Those who called him worthless were few and far between.
    You slay me... here are your comments on the day he was signed.

Maybe you should revisit your comments before you deney you ever made them?

Ballast.

The Return of the Curse of Bowden's Ghost.

Come on, Wayne, bring home the next Jimmy Haynes.

Are they looking to build a VFW Hall or make a bench?
    At least Cruz can field a couple of positions, without much dropoff in effectiveness. Obviously Cruz is no great shakes, but why add more of the same, but less versatile?
    Let me just put it this way. If Dunn is moved, and Cy Young doesn't return in his place, I could field first base for the Reds and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference at that point. So at the very least, they could save $750,000. I'd rather just pray they find a way to keep Dunn than to entertain the thought of this crew trading him.
    Just seems like a monumental waste of time, to me. Considering the real heavy-lifting this team needs to do.
    Wrong. Completely false. Cruz was used as a point of comparison to Hatteberg. Personally, I want neither on my team--not both.

Blow it up. Make it dull.

This team needed a backup firstbaseman like I need a mercury milkshake.
    You still haven't described how this move substantively differs from DanO's acquisition of VanderWal a few years ago. Actually VanderWal was a much better expenditure of $750,000.

It does nothing to change the fortunes of the club in any capacity. I'm only asking for there to be some tempering of enthusiasm for the deal--and well, a whole bunch of people were cheering the acquisition before I showed up, so it's not as though I was the first one to be making a big deal out of it.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You slay me... here are your comments on the day he was signed.

Maybe you should revisit your comments before you deney you ever made them?
    I was one of the few and the far between was I not? traderumor made it sound as though there was a vocal group of critics bashing Hatteberg. Best that I remember it was just me and maybe one or two other posters. I never denied saying that--but someone claiming the critics were legion is wrong as hell. They were a tiny minority.

*As a sidebar, however, .870 is nice production for 750,000, but the guy has swirled the drain when it's counted most. All of his rhetoric about "gut-checks" rings pretty hollow on the face of it. And now the Reds are paying him twice the above amount next year for what will undoubtedly be a fraction of his 2006 production (no NL "boost," further declining power, even slower wheels). I dislike that the team felt they needed to reward him for ONE career year.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-09-2006 at 02:23 PM.

I was one of the few and the far between was I not? traderumor made it sound as though there was a vocal group of critics bashing Hatteberg. Best that I remember it was just me and maybe one or two other posters. I never denied saying that--but someone claiming the critics were legion is wrong as hell. They were a tiny minority.

*As a sidebar, however, .870 is nice production for 750,000, but the guy has swirled the drain when it's counted most. All of his rhetoric about "gut-checks" rings pretty hollow on the face of it. And now the Reds are paying him twice the above amount next year for what will undoubtedly be a fraction of his 2006 production (no NL "boost," further declining power, even slower wheels). I dislike that the team felt they needed to reward him for ONE career year.
    "Getting ragged on pretty good" meant that there was quite a bit of consternation about him being the everyday first baseman. I didn't do a headcount, nor did my post imply a number. But, I recall several posts in game threads by various posters devoted to how bad he was defensively and that the Reds were boneheads for playing him every day. Apparently, there are others who recall things the same way. Your posts in the Scott Hatteberg signing thread alone create a body of work against the signing. Regardless, I think the point was made. I just wish folks would say "bully, I was dead wrong, Hatteberg turned out to be a good signing and is a feather in the cap of the one who had the foresight to snatch him up."

And I will go out on a limb and say that I expect next year, Majewski will be a significant bullpen contributor when he is in the physical condition of the pitcher Krivsky thought he was acquiring. But I won't hold my breath waiting for those who have barraged him with rotten tomatoes this season to say "hey, maybe Majewski's performance last year was severely hindered by a worn out arm, he CAN get guys out." I've been around long enough to know that there will be a new whipping boy in town by then.

I think any ragging on the fact that he was the 1B was quite appropriate....a .750 OPs doesn't get too many excited. He has overachieved beyond any predictions, a nice treat. Let's not be signing any long term contracts just yet.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I wouldn't be surprised Hatt has a injury plagued season next year, though that just opens the door for Joey Votto to take the position, as it should be.

They will be paying Hatt 1.5 mill as a part time player and backup with some consistant AB's early in the season. Hope it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised Hatt has a injury plagued season next year, though that just opens the door for Joey Votto to take the position, as it should be.

They will be paying Hatt 1.5 mill as a part time player and backup with some consistant AB's early in the season. Hope it is worth it.
    Have any particular injury in mind?

Man Pills

I've been around long enough to know that there will be a new whipping boy in town by then.

Until Dunn gets traded, he's going to be the alpha and omega of whipping boys.

Remember: you have to succeed in Cincinnati in order to be hated (Dunn, E. Davis, Corey Dillon, Encarnacion)

Until Dunn gets traded, he's going to be the alpha and omega of whipping boys.

Remember: you have to succeed in Cincinnati in order to be hated (Dunn, E. Davis, Corey Dillon, Encarnacion)
    The only legitimate one in that list is Dillon, and his was self-inflicted. Encarnacion? ED was a polarizing talent much like Dunn--folks either loved him or hated him. Personally, I like/liked both ED and Dunn. Although Dunn frustrates me on the field much more than ED ever did. ED's injuries were frustrating, but then in hindsight, they were more due to his maximum effort as much as being brittle, I suppose.

Dillon, well he was an enigma wrapped in a burger flippin' riddle--his snarl and sneer attitude was what made the old Bengals, er, so great

Turn Off Ads?