Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seattle's Chick Gets Call Up

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Seattle's Chick Gets Call Up

Travis Chick was recalled by the Seattle Mariners today. Chick aquired from the Reds in exchange for "Every Day" Eddie Guardado.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Seattle's Chick Gets Call Up

I am in no way second guessing Wayne on this one, but now that Eddie is out, and may never pitch again, this one has the potential to turn into a trade deadline catchphrase for years to come.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

That says more about the state of the Mariners than anything else.

It would be like the Reds calling up Pelland.

I'd rather have Chick and Germano then Guardado and Cormier.

Say it's second guessing if you want, but it's a GMs job to see these things coming.

They aren't judged by how they look when you get them, they are are judged by how they play out.

I think the Chick for Guardado deal was defensible.

I liked Germano for Cormier at the time, but the bottom line is that those who can analyze pitching statistics were aware of how bad this was going to be. Especially paying an ineffective 40-plus guy 2.2 million for next year. This is going to hurt us.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Say it's second guessing if you want, but it's a GMs job to see these things coming.

They aren't judged by how they look when you get them, they are are judged by how they play out.
    Around these parts, the Cormier move was considered a "let's get anything for him" deal. Germano was a warm body, the Phillies made the deal. If anything, they wish they still had Cormier, as Rick White, of all people, has stepped forward to pick up some of the slack for a struggling Tom Gordon, who just so happened to begin his struggles when the Reds visited this fine City of Brotherly Love. Just some food for thought.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

How quickly it all turns. When Guardado was pitching well, everyone agreed it was a great trade.

It was still a solid deal. Eddie tearing his UCL doesn't change the fact that Chick has only an off chance of having a sustained big-league career.

Geez, are you Dan O'Brien or what??? Sit on your hands and hold onto very marginal prospects and hope for...what, the baseball fairy??? That is advocating Dan O'Brien like indecision and that is an unacceptable direction. And yes, I will say you are absolutely enjoying the safety zone of the second guesser. If you suggest a gm should worry about the unforeseen, then you are advocating...well, Dan O'Brien.

Yup, second guessing is easy, but this was a team picked to finish sixth. Krivsky had the guts to gamble in order to bring a winner to Cincinnati. He hasn't always succeeded and the second guessers can play their "bold" game, but I'd rather have a GM who is brave enough to gamble a Travis Chick type prospect in order to fill a glaring need.

Reds44, I usually admire your insight, but this post really irks me. When Chick has actually shown he can be a big league pitcher, then you can fairly attack this trade. Otherwise, you are unfairly venting your frustrations.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I highly doubt you were saying this before when the Reds were leading the WC race with Guardado closing games effectively and Cormier showing up with his ERA under 2.

Get some perspective. It helps credibility.

I don't remember a single person criticizing these deals because of Chick and Germano. I remember people complaining about Guardado and Cormier being old and mediocre, but no one to my recollection tried to say that the trades were bad because they thought Travis Chick and Justin Germano were going to be Roger Clemens and Greg Maddux. No one.

i complained. I thought Guardado was done, and I still think Chick has a future. I knew the reds had no depth in the rotation, and thought the Cormier trade was awful. Not because Germano is any better than Lizard lite, but because he was better than everything else the reds had at AAA.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Guardado saved (I think) 7 games for us, and his only 2 blown saves were on account of an unearned run each time.

Eddie kept us in the pannat race when we desparately neeeed a closer. His position on the back end of the bullpen solidified the whole bullpen into a rspectable lot.

Guardado could come back in the middle of next year and be BETTER than he was before the surgery. Tommy John surgeries, since the medical technology has advanced, often result in increased strength, and renewed performance. Cormier is a good replacement for Mercker, and in fact, may be a little bit of an upgrade. I like having both.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I believe Cormier's struggles were centered on being used in an improper role upon his arrival. Since he has been relegated to a one or two out guy, he has been more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Guardado could come back in the middle of next year and be BETTER than he was before the surgery. Tommy John surgeries, since the medical technology has advanced, often result in increased strength, and renewed performance. Cormier is a good replacement for Mercker, and in fact, may be a little bit of an upgrade. I like having both.
    Guardado still has the partial labrum tear.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?