Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should The Reds Deal Griffey If He Is Willing?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, He is better off suited as part-time DH and outfielder

63 71.59%
  • No. He should retire as a Red

25 28.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Griffey Is Willing......

If Griffey Is Willing......

If Griffey is willing to accept a trade to an AL team, should the Reds move him this offseason?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: If Griffey Is Willing......

It's a really tough conflict of interests.

Part of me would like to see him retire a Red. The same part of me feels like he may still have enough in the tank to produce another All-Star caliber year.

The other part of me is the part of me that felt like we should have traded him last year to the White Sox when they were apparently calling.

Would we go for prospects that could help down the line or would we get MLB-ready talent that would help us as soon as next year? I feel like if we aren't going to get a substantial return then we should let him finish out his career a Redleg.

When Griffey goes in the Hall of Fame, does he wear a Mariners cap or a Reds cap? I think his best years were with the Mariners.

With that said, if you could move Junior to Detroit, NY Yankees or even Boston, you have to do it. He isn't the defensive outfielder he was 10 years ago and his bat could be slowing down.

With the Tigers, he could be a DH while playing some centerfielder to give the regular a break.

Griffey for RHP Zach Minier would work for both sides with the Reds adding some cash in the deal.

I have to say yes.

Griffey is my favorite player and he always has been. To me, he is one of the greatest all-around players to ever play the game. If he hadn't gotten injured so much over the past 6 years, then I think he would have the homerun and maybe even the RBI record in his hands by the time he retires. Whenever I see that Junior smile, I can't help but smile myself.

But, I feel it is better for the club and for him if he goes to an AL club like the aforementioned (DET, NYY, or Boston). I believe that this team is on the rise, but I think Griffey only has a year or two left in him, and we are not going to win a championship during that time. He deserves to get his World Series win, and those three AL teams are the best chances he's got to get it.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Griffey or Dunn ( not both )

No one thinks KGJ should be in CF next year. Most suggest moving him to RF.

However...with Dunn in LF & KGJ in RF we better have Speedy Gonzalez in CF.

I am starting to think that if the right deal came along we should trade either Dunn or KGJ ( with the other playing LF ). Obviously we would then need a CF/RF { depending on where Freel plays }

- Will

Re: Griffey or Dunn ( not both )

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    No one thinks KGJ should be in CF next year. Most suggest moving him to RF.

I am starting to think that if the right deal came along we should trade either Dunn or KGJ ( with the other playing LF ). Obviously we would then need a CF/RF { depending on where Freel plays }

- Will
    I got to think one of them will be dealt. Outfield defense has been a sore spot all season.

i would like to keep him so he could be there to help the young guys like deno, hopper, and wise, but then again he costs a lot of money:griffey: ???

Re: Griffey or Dunn ( not both )

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

What is his OPS?

Griffey reminds me of Dave Parker in his last year as a Red. You could see the decline defensively but there was some life still in his bat. Thus, the trade of Parker to the A's for Jose Rijo.

Now if the Reds could trade Griffey for the next Jose Rijo.....

One must take it offer by offer. Dont give him away, but if it will help in the near future all offers must be considered.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Griffey reminds me of Dave Parker in his last year as a Red. You could see the decline defensively but there was some life still in his bat. Thus, the trade of Parker to the A's for Jose Rijo.

Now if the Reds could trade Griffey for the next Jose Rijo.....
    Good minds think alike!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Good minds think alike!

If I'm Krivsky, I offer Griffey to the Tigers for RHP Zach Minier and agree to pay the remaining two years portion of Griffey's contract that is defered.

Then with the money saved, I look to upgrade outfield, starting pitching and find a closer.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

If we dealt with the Tigers, I'd really like to look at someone like Joel Zumaya. That kid has the stuff to be a dominant closer for years to come. I don't know if that is necessarily the need we would trade for, and Miner is good too, I just thought I'd go out of my way to say I like Zumaya I guess... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337 View Post
    If we dealt with the Tigers, I'd really like to look at someone like Joel Zumaya. That kid has the stuff to be a dominant closer for years to come. I don't know if that is necessarily the need we would trade for, and Miner is good too, I just thought I'd go out of my way to say I like Zumaya I guess... lol.
    I just don't see the Tigers trading Zumaya when they project him to be their future closer.

But Griffey to the Tigers makes some sense. He can DH over there and play alittle centerfield. Detroit trains in Lakeland, which is close to his Orlando residence. Even getting on a plane from Detroit to Orlando wouldn't be a long trip.

I think you should at least test the market for Griffey, and that may have been happenning. We don't know what the current market is for Griffey. Griffey is my favorite player but to me he is a great player who came to the Reds. Not a great Reds player who I can't see leaving. He will certainly wear a Seattle cap into the Hall of Fame. So see what you can get for him. But if we trade Griffey, what happens to our lineup. If we get a good young pitcher for Griffey then our offense would be even less. The team has been struggling to score runs since we got rid of kearns and Lopez. All of a sudden we want to trade Griffey and there are plenty of threads calling for Dunn to get traded in the off season. Maybe we should trade one of these guys for a big time shortstop.... Hey, how about trying to work a deal for A-Rod?

Turn Off Ads?