Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Interesting Comparison

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Interesting Comparison

I was doing some research for another topic and came across these stats:

Here are the stats of another Reds OF who was revered during his time with the Reds. He also played for a 2nd place Reds team. I wonder what type of criticism he would have received? (If any)

Dave Parker:
    Age 36 153 G 589 AB 77 R 149 H 28 2B 0 3B 26 HR 97 RBI .253 Avg .433 Slg

Ken Griffey Jr: to date 9/9

Age 36 107 G 426 AB 61 R 107H 19 2B 0 3B 26 HR 69 RBI .251 Avg .479 Slg

Dave Parker the next season (88) in the AL: Only 34 g in OF

Age 37 101 G 377 AB 43 R 97 H 18 2B 1 3B 12 HR 55 RBI .275 Avg .406 Slg

His next season in '89 he hit for more power 22HR & 97 RBI with a lower .264 Avg.

What I remember most is the 1990 Season when Parker had the "resurgence" in Milwaukee. His statistics were not dramatically better but I do remember him being in the top 10 of the batting race until Sept at the age of 39. He started off that season poorly but believes he turned his season around in 1 AB against a hard throwing LHP. He turned on an Inside Fastball and regained his confidence. He played in 157 Games, the most he had played in since 1986 plaing in all 162. In '90 Parker hit 21 HR his 2nd lowest total in the last 6 seasons. (Parker's lowest being 12 in 88 while battling knee problems). Parker batted .289 with 92 RBI in 1990. The only real surprise was the batting average as Parker had been averaging 97.3 RBI in the previous 6 seasons which inlcudes his partial '88 Season of 55.

I bring all of this up because I am not so sure that a return to the AL will show "immedaite" production increase for Junior. I used Parker because 1) I came across his name while doing other research and 2) Because at this stage in Jr's career they are practically the same hitter and have similar leg ailments and finally 3) as the poll suggests fans think Jr. would be well served in the AL in 2007. JR would be the same age as Parker when making that transition.

Maybe I am way off. Maybe I am dead on. Wondering what your thoughts are....
    Last edited by Team Clark; 09-09-2006 at 09:26 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting Comparison

This is almost completely off topic but I remember Parker's last season with the Reds and how midway through the year the opposing team would walk Eric Davis to face Parker and how that broke my heart. Parker was my favorite Red at that time and I always wanted him to stick it them, but he was in such a funk he just didnt.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    This is almost completely off topic but I remember Parker's last season with the Reds and how midway through the year the opposing team would walk Eric Davis to face Parker and how that broke my heart. Parker was my favorite Red at that time and I always wanted him to stick it them, but he was in such a funk he just didnt.
    The astro turf was killing his knees. I remember when Pete tried him at 1B to try to help him out. Like watching a wounded deer try to get up after getting shot. Sad.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think Bob Trumpy was doing sports talk on WLW at the time - it seemed nightly, there was someone tearing Parker apart. Fans were of course thrilled when we first got them, but as the club continued to miss the playoffs, Parker became the whipped.
    I also seem to recall Marty was not a huge fan of his relaxed playing style.
    Then again, I also believe Davis received a lot of grief from the fans for being injured so much, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    The astro turf was killing his knees. I remember when Pete tried him at 1B to try to help him out. Like watching a wounded deer try to get up after getting shot. Sad.
    I remember how bad he was at first, I remember going to spring traing one year and seeing Hal Morris take balls in the outfield and I think that was worse.

I remember how bad he was at first, I remember going to spring traing one year and seeing Hal Morris take balls in the outfield and I think that was worse.

I watched tony Perez tutor O'Neill at 1B in ST '87. Paul wanted no part of it and was giving in less than full effort. Rose walked by, said a few words, and Paul immediately put on a Happy Face and took the rest of those grounders with glee. I have some pictures taken with a really bad camera of that '87 ST. Cool stuff.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Any one who is a fan should atleast once spend a week in spring traing following the team, its the best.

Any one who is a fan should atleast once spend a week in spring traing following the team, its the best.
    Couldn't agree more.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?