Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dodgers, Reds, Indians Spring Training and Minors Info

Dodgers, Reds, Indians Spring Training and Minors Info

Jacksonville (Suns) is Dodgers AA franchise. They extended their affiliation for 2 years (the minimum) on the 6th, 5 days before the deadline.

The Suns owner came on the radio the next day to talk about it. He says he expected an announcement within the next 6-9 months that the Dodgers are leaving Vero Beach for Spring Training in Arizona.

He said the reason it took so long to get a deal done this time was that LA was exploring a Texas League affiliation this time. And that LA will move all it's east coast teams out west. (they have GCL, Florida State and Southern League in Florida and a South Atlantic team in Georgia)

Now the ripple effect....

MLB requires 2 teams to move to Arizona at once, and Cleveland is still negotiating with Florida and Arizona. Assuming the Reds consumate the deal with Sarasota, it seems logical that Cleveland must be going to Arizona.

So Dodgers will pull out of Jacksonville, and the Cubs AA affiliate has been sold to owners from Orlando. Everyone knows the franchise will move to Orlando. The Cubs Florida State League team is in Daytona Beach.

Jacksonville is considered a crown jewel, so the Cubs could choose either to go to Jacksonville or Orlando depending on which deal they consider better.

And I consider the Reds to be possible contenders for Orlando/Jacksonville also. It took a personal visit from Castellini to convince Chattanooga to sign thru 2008. Now, we don't know what the Lookouts concerns were. They were pretty bad last year, and pretty good this year. That, and Castellini's love of tradition could keep the Reds in Chattanooga. The Reds will have been with Chattanooga for 20 years at the end of 2008.

Factors which could see the AA Reds in Florida: The Reds have an Cincinnati hub of operations. Both Dayton and Louisville are less than 2 hours driving time away. But Chattanooga is 5 hrs and 48 minutes away.

And they have a Sarasota hub, with Spring Training, GCL and Florida State League (as well as extended Spring Training, and Fall Instructional League). The Orlando and Jacksonville locations would be 2 hours and 4 hours away from Sarasota.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers, Reds, Indians Spring Training and Minors Info

Move the Lexington Legends up to AA.

I know - can't happen (unless there's a Southern League team in financial trouble). I think they built the Legends stadium so it could easily be expandable to AA requirements
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-10-2006 at 12:40 PM.

I know it's unlikely, but El Paso really needs a minor league team. Maybe Dodgers can move their AA there.

Dodgers can't move a AA team to El Paso, because they don't have a AA team. You want a AA team in El Paso, you have to buy a Texas League team from a current owner, or convince an existing Texas League team to move.

Now, the good news is that El Paso fits geographically in the Texas League and is the right size for a AA team. You do that and you might get Dodgers AA team in 2008.

All you have to do is convince some other Texas League team to move.

Well, I'm moving to a city with a MLB team.

I just thought it would be good for El Paso. Althou, sitting outside in 95 degree plus heat every night is not my idea of entertainment.

02/08/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-08-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red View Post
    Per Enquirer:

And the city of Sarasota blinked first.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

"And the city of Sarasota blinked first."

Not sure what that means exactly, but the Reds bent over backwards to do their part. The Reds will contribute more to their Spring Training complex than any team other than the Yankees, who contributed 2 million more.

This is in contrast to the Indians who are negotiating with Florida and Arizona. Since Arizona doesn't require teams to pay anything, the Indians won't contribute anything if they stay in Florida.

Not only are the Reds paying $10 million, but when Sarasota asked for a 15 year lease, the Reds said they'd go one better and go 20. On their own later they upped it to 30 years.

When one of the city commissioners inquired whether the Reds might pay more, the City Finance Director essentially said the Reds CAN'T pay more. To maintain the tax-exempt status of the bond issues in question, only a small percentage can depend on revenue from a non-government agency like the Reds. He said if the Reds contributed any more, the bonds would not be tax-exempt.

Now the Enquirer article was a hair misleading. 95% of the obstacles are gone. The County of Sarasota was the last piece. But the land isn't available yet, and only 5 spring training sites can get money and at least 6 were planning on applying. So although it looks very good, it's not complete.

Well, the dominos started falling in the last couple days. Cleveland has announced it is going to Arizona for spring training, and the Dodgers have put the Vero Beach Dodgers up for sale and told Columbus Ga, they won't b renewing their contract.

So official announcement of Dodgers to Arizona can't be far off.

That also means only 5 teams fighting for 5 State of Florida grants, so that part seems assured now.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Thats good to hear JaxRed.

Turn Off Ads?