Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready for 1-0?

Re: Ready for 1-0?

Very nice to get a win when the offense isn't clicking right especially in a tough place like Kansas City.

Great way to start the year, that's for sure.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm a Ben-Gal.
    Wow, this really clears up a lot of things I've been wondering.

j/k

That was a nice solid win in a hostile place. Missing TJ was big and they overcame that and won by 13. Nice. I'll take that and grin while I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Very nice to get a win when the offense isn't clicking right especially in a tough place like Kansas City.

Great way to start the year, that's for sure.
    Think about this:

Odell Thurman....OUT

David Pollack....OUT

Deltha O'Neal....did not start

TJ Houshmanzadeh...OUT

Antonio Chatman...OUT

Chris Perry....OUT

and we still took it to 'em.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Think about this:

Odell Thurman....OUT

David Pollack....OUT

Deltha O'Neal....did not start

TJ Houshmanzadeh...OUT

Antonio Chatman...OUT

Chris Perry....OUT

and we still took it to 'em.
    Certainly not the Bengals of old, eh? They actually have some depth now.

What I was most impressed with was the play of the DL- primarily Justin Smith and Robert Geathers. The two combined for 8 solo tackles including a combined 5 sacks. And those weren't stunt or outside speed sacks either. They were bull rush "power" penetrations that just plain overwhelmed the KC offensive line.

That was very impressive and one of the reasons Green was injured is that he had to scramble out of yet another protection breakdown caused by defensive line penetration into the backfield. Nicely done by the Bengals today.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    What I was most impressed with was the play of the DL- primarily Justin Smith and Robert Geathers. The two combined for 8 solo tackles including a combined 5 sacks. And those weren't stunt or outside speed sacks either. They were bull rush "power" penetrations that just plain overwhelmed the KC offensive line.

That was very impressive and one of the reasons Green was injured is that he had to scramble out of yet another protection breakdown caused by defensive line penetration into the backfield. Nicely done by the Bengals today.
    Madieu Willams was also great. An INT, a few passes defended, and at least three good stuffs on Johnson around the line of scrimmage. Having him healthy makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Madieu Willams was also great. An INT, a few passes defended, and at least three good stuffs on Johnson around the line of scrimmage. Having him healthy makes a world of difference.
    No more Ifeanyi Ohalete whiffing on tackles like last year.

:notworthy
    Last edited by CTA513; 09-11-2006 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Williams played really well also. But the key, IMHO, was the penetration from the D-line. They just ran over the Chiefs offensive line. Impressive win today for the Bengals in a hostile environment.

Gosh. Bengals praise coming from a Steelers fan. What will you all do?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Williams played really well also. But the key, IMHO, was the penetration from the D-line. They just ran over the Chiefs offensive line. Impressive win today for the Bengals in a hostile environment.

Gosh. Bengals praise coming from a Steelers fan. What will you all do?
    We'll all pitch in and try to find the guy who hijacked your account and made all these posts!

It is refreshing to see a football discussion between Bengals fans and a Steeler fan that doesn't get nasty quickly. Of course, the season is young....

The Bengals certainly looked good and it was a nice road win but I wonder just how good the Chiefs are. They sure didn't look very good yesterday but how much of that was their own poor play and how much was it the Bengals dictating that play? That's why this "most difficult schedule" talk is a little off base. The Chiefs won 10 games last year but it looks doubtful that they will be able to repeat that this year.

Last year....people were wondering how good the bears were after the Bengals almost shut them out.

They ended up being better than people thought.

This Chiefs team does not have a good defense.....but they held the Bengals offense to under 250 yards in this game....and still lost.

The Chiefs OL and now the Green injury...might make that team one of the worst in the NFL this year.

Defense makes case

By GEOFF HOBSON
    September 10, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Yes Virginia, the Bengals defense does have an identity after presenting Bengaldom with a 23-10 Opening Day victory over the Chiefs on a rainy day their offense hid in the grime and grit of an AFC Northish affair.

By engineering seven sacks with a more straightforward pass rush than years before, three turnovers like those of yesteryear, and the end of Chiefs running back Larry Johnson’s nine-game streak of 100-yard games, his defense turned out it be as stingy during the game as head coach Marvin Lewis was stingy after the game in explaining how it held the defending AFC rushing champion to 68 yards on 17 carries just nine months and nine days after he ripped it for 201 yards.

At some point, a hat must be tipped to this much-maligned defense. After a preseason in which it allowed its fewest points in nearly 30 years, it posted its lowest total in 15 openers, since Dave Shula’s debut in a 21-3 win at Seattle in 1992.

“I coached guys that went (50)-some games without giving up a 100-yard rusher so I know a little bit about it and you play it with 11 guys all the time,” Lewis said of his days with the Ravens. “It’s just as important when the outside corners get their job done as the inside linebacker, the middle linebacker, the safety.

“I think we’ve got better players who understand it. We had some fits that were wrong early on. (Johnson) is a good player. He’s a good back. and he’ll gain a lot of yards this year. We were able to win today, and that’s it, I don’t want to talk about it.”

One of those guys who helped Lewis put that sub 100-yard string together in Baltimore sat in front of his locker and offered a wink and a nod after his Bengals debut. The stat sheet said Sam Adams, the 360-pound Pro Bowl mass in the middle, had just one tackle.

But his presence was also noted by middle linebacker Brian Simmons’s game-high eight tackles and five more from weakside linebacker Landon Johnson. Not only did Adams’s defensive line come up with the seven sacks, its most since last year’s seven against Houston, but they forced Larry Johnson to the perimeter and allowed the backers to make the plays.

“If they allow us to rush the passer, we’ll get to him,” Adams said. “But you have to earn that right.”

The Bengals earned the right Sunday by getting Kansas City quarterbacks into passing situations in not allowing Johnson to get off on first and second down. After the second three-sack game of his career, end Justin Smith saluted the coaches’ scheme of less moving around from the linemen before the snap.

“Just straight rushing,” Smith said. “I think this year we’re going to do more straight rushing and we knew we had to come after them to get them to keep doing that.”

Smith, just a straight-ahead Show Me guy from Missouri who grew up about 100 miles from here in Holts Summit, prefers the simpler style. He’s not even sure how many family members and friends he had here, but they did watch his defense “earn the right to rush the passer:”

Exhibit A: With the game tied, 3-3, early in the second quarter, the Chiefs had a second-and-four from the Bengals 45 when defensive tackle Shaun Smith stoned Johnson for no gain. That allowed end Robert Geathers to ring up the first of his two sacks on third-and-four.

Exhibit B: With the Bengals leading 10-3 a few minutes later, cornerback Tory James dropped tight end Tony Gonazalez for no gain on a pass in the flat on first down. Tackle John Thornton was then able to tee off on second-and-10 for a sack and on third-and-17 Justin Smith rung up the third sack in seven minutes. A 29-yard punt later and the Bengals had a 17-3 lead as the first half wore down.

Exhibit C: With starter Trent Green shelved by a concussion and former Bengals quarterback Damon Huard putting the Chiefs on the Bengals 21, still trailing, 17-3, free safety Madieu Williams roamed to the right edge to dump Larry Johnson for a one-yard loss. On second-and-11, linebacker Caleb Miller, able to run free thanks to the front line, nailed him for a one-yard loss. Then on third-and-12, rookie tackle Domata Peko was able to tee off and he got a sack and forced a fumble that was recovered by the Chiefs, and the resulting 51-yard field goal try by Lawrence Tynes was short.

17-3 with 1:12 left in the third quarter.

Game, set, match.

The Bengals, who didn't have more than three sacks in a game last season after getting seven against the Texans in Game 4, are jump-started in their bid to get their first double-digit sacker since Alfred Williams had 10 in 1992.

“But you have to earn that right,” Adams said of a pass rush set up by the run defense. “They love to hit gaps. If everyone stays in their gaps you put pressure in the middle and there’s nowhere to run. If you get in a running game with us you’re going to get tired with the speed of our linebackers. You get a little pressure up the middle and that’s what is supposed to be (with linebackers). The defensive ends forcing them out, and everyone taking a gap.”

The big talk before Sunday had been how it was such a big game for the Bengals defense after a season it had finished 28th in the league. Even defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said he hoped to see an I.D. emerge when he watched the Chiefs tape Monday morning.

“We’ve had one since we met together in the spring,” said Smith after his first three-sack game since his rookie season five years ago. “We’ve finally got everybody we need. We’ve got all the pieces of the puzzle. We need everybody to do everything and I think right now we’ve got everybody.”

Smith, the first Bengals three-sacker since Duane Clemons dumped three Bills in 2003, has been saying since May that this is the best defense he’s ever been on. There is a 13-year veteran like Adams and a three-year veteran like Geathers, who has slimmed back down to his rookie weight of 265 pounds and responded with two sacks, one shy of what he had all last season.

“Sam’s a presence; he’s a heck of a ballplayer,” Smith said. “He’s been doing this a long time. He knows how to do it when to do it, so anytime you bring quality guys in here, you add depth. That’s something we’ve always lacked in the past is depth. Everyone on the D-line rolls through. It’s the first time I’ve been here that we’ve got everything we need.”

Smith thinks there is enough here to be a Top 5 defense. Including “the big, strong, fast” Geathers who came up with the first two-sack game of his career. Geathers said he and Smith took advantage of the Chiefs tackles, light in weight (left tackle Kyle Turley is about 275 pounds) and experience (it was right tackle Jordan Black’s 15th NFL start).

“(Sacks) come in bunches for good pass rushers," said Geathers, who got both sacks off the edge after spending last season rushing the passer mainly from the inside. “We were able to use our power. We went the whole game back and forth (on each tackle).”

Smith had an almost comical play early in the fourth quarter. As he sacked Huard, he batted the ball away and after it squirted from everyone else, he picked it with just the greensward in front of him when Huard suddenly dropped him in his tracks at the Chiefs 44.

“I can’t run the ball too good yet; I’m slower than I thought,” he joked. “I know at our stadium where to look to see if anybody is behind you. But I didn’t know exactly where to look but, oh well.”

The Bengals only had to look to the return of Madieu Williams to know their defense is that much better. In his first regular-season game since undergoing shoulder surgery last season and missing all but four games, Williams supplied an interception, another pass defensed, and three tackles.

The pick was one of Cincinnati's three turnovers and came off the hands of wide receiver Sammie Parker over the middle and into Williams’s hands in back of him. The Bengals, who led the league last season with 44 turnovers and have an NFL-best 80 over the previous two seasons, look to have a pretty good start again.

“Just a tip drill. We do it every day in practice with Coach (Kevin) Coyle and Coach (Louie) Cioffi,” Williams said. “It’s nice when something you do every day pays off in a game.”

But maybe the biggest contribution from Williams and new strong safety Dexter Jackson came when Johnson didn’t break a run longer than 18 yards. Last year, two of his three touchdowns came on 20-yard and 49-yard runs.

If the pundits haven’t noticed the Bengals defense, the offense it bailed out Sunday sure did.

“It started last season, forcing turnovers and being physical, guys making big hits,” said right tackle Willie Anderson. “That’s the kind of player we’ve accumulated over the past three seasons. We’ve got those hard-nosed football players. For years I’ve sat on the sidelines while those guys tattoo our guys. Now we have guys on defense that bring pain, too.”

Turn Off Ads?