Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    ON THE MOVE

    The Cincinnati Reds have hired away Tony Arias, the Jays' director of Latin American scouting.

    Arias signed Izzy Molina and Emil Brown when he worked for the Oakland A's. With the Jays, he signed Felipe Lopez, Clayton Andrews, Luis Lopez, Cash, Matt Ford and Vinnie Chulk.

    The Jays then asked for permission to speak with Sal Agostinelli, a supervisor of Latin scouting with Philadelphia. Agostinelli decided to stay with the Phillies.

    Now, the Jays have targeted international scout Marco Paddy of the Atlanta Braves.

    http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basebal...21553-sun.html

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,179

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    And so it begins. I like that they're moving quickly on some of the minor league positions, particulary in the scouting area.

  4. #3
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    ON THE MOVE
    Arias signed Izzy Molina and Emil Brown when he worked for the Oakland A's. With the Jays, he signed Felipe Lopez, Clayton Andrews, Luis Lopez, Cash, Matt Ford and Vinnie Chulk.

    http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basebal...21553-sun.html

    Is Cash the guy we traded for during the fire sale a couple years back? What ever happened to him anyways?

  5. #4
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And so it begins. I like that they're moving quickly on some of the minor league positions, particulary in the scouting area.
    No reason to wait. Contracts expire in October. The hatchet will be swinging.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  6. #5
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Is Cash the guy we traded for during the fire sale a couple years back? What ever happened to him anyways?
    Ah, dude, he's spent.

  7. #6
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    No reason to wait. Contracts expire in October. The hatchet will be swinging.

    Hey TC, any "inside" word on this guy the Reds hired? Do you think its a good hire? I figure you might have some knowledge about the guy, since he's been working in the ALE....
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #7
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    ON THE MOVE

    The Cincinnati Reds have hired away Tony Arias, the Jays' director of Latin American scouting.

    Arias signed Izzy Molina and Emil Brown when he worked for the Oakland A's. With the Jays, he signed Felipe Lopez, Clayton Andrews, Luis Lopez, Cash, Matt Ford and Vinnie Chulk.

    The Jays then asked for permission to speak with Sal Agostinelli, a supervisor of Latin scouting with Philadelphia. Agostinelli decided to stay with the Phillies.

    Now, the Jays have targeted international scout Marco Paddy of the Atlanta Braves.

    http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basebal...21553-sun.html
    Excepting Felipe, there isn't a major-league starter in that entire list of players, by the way. Emil Brown is a Royal and would be on the bench for most other teams.

    Between that and the list of quick-to-the-bigs mediocres Chris Buckley tapped in Toronto, I'm guessing we can count on a steady stream of fourths- as in starters and outfielders.

  9. #8
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Hey TC, any "inside" word on this guy the Reds hired? Do you think its a good hire? I figure you might have some knowledge about the guy, since he's been working in the ALE....
    I knew his name because of Felipe and Chulk and that was about it. I can't really give you a thumbs up or down. I just don't know or know of the guy that well.

    Not to mention the Reds Baseball Operation Office is mad because I spoke about who potentially is in and who could be out this fall. IMO they need to realize that in Baseball your job is ALWAYS on the line. ALWAYS. Here's a not so cryptic message for those readers. (Most of which are caught up in an episode they had no part in) The more BS you listen to coming from people who have an agenda the more trouble you are going to get YOURSELF into. So, if someone wants to make up stories about you to try to discredit you.... well then you need to step back and figure out where the "source" of that "venom" is coming from. Kinda funny how the people who tell these "stories" will not tell them to your face when confronted. As I have counted that would make 4 times to date. All of the sudden they don't know what you are talking about. What does that tell you? Be careful folks. Been there.

    I'm sorry Cincyinco...does that answer your question?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  10. #9
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,068

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Between that and the list of quick-to-the-bigs mediocres Chris Buckley tapped in Toronto, I'm guessing we can count on a steady stream of fourths- as in starters and outfielders.

    Oh well, a stream of 4th starters and 4th OF plus an occasional Felipe is about 1000X better than what we've been getting (zilch).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  11. #10
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Oh well, a stream of 4th starters and 4th OF plus an occasional Felipe is about 1000X better than what we've been getting (zilch).
    True to some extent. The Reds will probably not see a lot of fruit from the Dominican Academy for a few more years. Johnny Almaraz has done a great job but probably realizes in his new role that he can not do both jobs.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 09-12-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  12. #11
    JohnnyAlmaraz
    Guest

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    True to some extent. The Reds will probably not see a lot of fruit from the Dominican Academy for a few more years. Johnny Alamaraz has done a great job but probably realizes in his new role that he can not do both jobs.
    You're damn right, buckaroo. Good head on ya. Can you pitch?

  13. #12
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Reds hire Jays' director of Latin American scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAlmaraz View Post
    You're damn right, buckaroo. Good head on ya. Can you pitch?
    Not anymore.... Neither can Paul Wilson so I guess I could go to ST anyway.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25