Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Pitch Scheonweis More?

Why Not Pitch Scheonweis More?

I guess Franklin is hot right now. Boy Franklin and Cormier have really helped the Phillies

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Not Pitch Scheonweis More?

i dont know but franklin is horrible...GOOD JOB NARRON AGAIN!!!

I can't slam for Krivsky trying to do everything he can to get the club in the playoffs without mortgaging the farm system. If anything bringing back Schoeneweis to replace Mercker as a veteran lefty in the bullpen might not be a bad idea.

If anything, the Reds should be set in middle relief with Majeski, Bray, Cormier, Coffey and possibly Schoeneweis. The need will be a closer.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Harang surrendering 4 runs to this popgun Pirate outfit was plenty to sink the game.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I can't slam for Krivsky trying to do everything he can to get the club in the playoffs without mortgaging the farm system. If anything bringing back Schoeneweis to replace Mercker as a veteran lefty in the bullpen might not be a bad idea.

If anything, the Reds should be set in middle relief with Majeski, Bray, Cormier, Coffey and possibly Schoeneweis. The need will be a closer.
    I agree about Middle Relief and the need for a closer, but I don't want any of these guys in the 8th inning of a close game. I'd rather see Weathers back for the 8th (or some one better). Maj, Coffey and Bray may get there by the end of the year, but I wouldn't start them out in the set-up role.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Harang surrendering 4 runs to this popgun Pirate outfit was plenty to sink the game.
    I thought it was only 3. Or did he get charged for one after he left the game? I can't remember how it unfolded. I haven't been home from the game for 20 minutes and I've already forgotten what happened. Yikes.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-09-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Of this crew, which relievers should be back? I don't mean which probably will because of salary, options, Krivsky just got him, but which ones should return? Based on performance.

Lefty: Shoenweis, because he is good, and Bray because he is young.

Righty: Weathers, if he doesn't retire. Coffey for the 7th inning sometimes.

That's it. Maj, Belisle, Franklin, Shack, Cormier, Standridge -- I know some will return, but not based on performance with the Reds.

The Reds have plenty of guys in the bullpen, but it seems its the same 2 or 3 guys that pitch all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If anything bringing back Schoeneweis to replace Mercker as a veteran lefty in the bullpen might not be a bad idea.
    Bring him back? Where did he go?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Bring him back? Where did he go?
    I think Krusty means in '07. I read in another thread that Schoenweis will be a FA after this season.

Krusty beat me to posting that notion. I think Schoenweis would be a fine replacement for Mercker.
    /r/reds

Thanks. It makes sense now.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't think they will pay Schoenweiss what he will cost (over $2 Million) when they already have a relatively expensive lefty in Cormier to go with Bray. I like Schoenweiss better than Cormier, but I think he is only back if Cormier can be traded.

Based on Performance KC61 has it about right. I look for much better things from Maj and Bray in 2007.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Of this crew, which relievers should be back? I don't mean which probably will because of salary, options, Krivsky just got him, but which ones should return? Based on performance.

Lefty: Shoenweis, because he is good, and Bray because he is young.

Righty: Weathers, if he doesn't retire. Coffey for the 7th inning sometimes.

That's it. Maj, Belisle, Franklin, Shack, Cormier, Standridge -- I know some will return, but not based on performance with the Reds.
    You are basing too much on a recent small sample size.

Sure SS has looked better than Majewski with the Reds, but take a look at their lifetime totals.

SS will be expensive and he's generally pitched pretty bad over his career. Don't let a few good games with the Reds cloud your judgement.

If the Reds cant acquire a bonafide closer I would bring back Scott and let him and Bray fight it out to close games.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

SS has never been a closer; not sure you can count on him for that in the future. SS has pitched 9 very nice innings for the Reds, but I wouldn't get to excited about that; his star is falling, and if he were any better, the Blue Jays would have hung on to him. I think his future is in middle relief, or LOOGY, and since he's a lefty and 33 years old, he's got about another 5 years left in middle relief, as long as he can get RH hitters out.

Bray might be the guy, but he's been very inconsistent with the Reds thus far. I'd love to see him step up next spring and take the bulls by the horn.

Realistically though, having a bonafide closer is something that you spend money on (because they cost a lot of $$) only if you think you are a true contender. If you're not, you tend to develope them through your own system. It'll be interesting to see how Kriv handles this spot during the offseason, and should be a solid gauge for us to see what he and Mr. Cast truly expect from this team next year.

Turn Off Ads?