Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rotation next year

The Rotation next year

Who is next years 5th starter in an overachieving rotation?

A few ideas I had
    Elizardo-had a decent stretch this year, but got hurt, and he isn't consistant
    Claussen-injury from this year may cost him-possibly back to pen
    Kim-I hope not!
    Michalek-too old-I think he had only one good big league game in him
    Jason Johnson-See above about Kim!
    Milton/Lohse-do we go after a big name pitcher which would push one of these guys down
    Homer-possibly at the end of season-but not opening day

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: The Rotation next year

Here's an idea I like: bring in a new guy, another #3-4 type, and push Milty and Lohse down to #4-5 slots. Heck, if you've got $$ to throw around, bring in a #1.

Homer starts off year in AAA. If Lohse falters (and I think he is the leading candidate to do so), bring Homer up in May/June. Move Lohse to relief.

I think Lohse would be an excellent closer; he's got live stuff, throws hard, and has a nasty type attitude. He wants to be a starter; I understand that and would give him every opportunity to do so. Bt if he can't make it as a starter, then go with him in the bullpen.

That way you don't have to count on Homer right out of the gate.

Who's the free agent pitcher? IDK, you tell me!

I agree (and have changed my mind on this recently). The price for Zito/Schmidt is likely to be crazy and not worth it. I'd go for a reasonable deal for Gil Meche or Vicente Padilla and open with Harang, Arroyo, FA, Milton, Lohse with Homer in Louisville.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Who's the free agent pitcher? IDK, you tell me!
    Tomo Ohka gets my vote.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tomo Ohka gets my vote.
    I'd like that; plus he's a Reds killer and we wouldn't have to deal with him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree (and have changed my mind on this recently). The price for Zito/Schmidt is likely to be crazy and not worth it. I'd go for a reasonable deal for Gil Meche or Vicente Padilla and open with Harang, Arroyo, FA, Milton, Lohse with Homer in Louisville.
    That is a very good idea. Going after Schmidt is dumb considering he's on the wrong side of 30 and his velocity is going down. I'd consider a Dunn for Bonderman plus a prospect or two deal that Krusty mentioned in another thread. That could push Lohse (His performance in a Red's uniform combined with his stuff and age automatically puts him in the rotation for next year) and Milton to the 4/5 slots with Bonderman being the #3. That gives a rotation of:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bonderman
    Lohse
    Milton

That looks like a solid rotation to me. I'm in the crowd that says that this team does not need an ace to have success. Harang, Arroyo, and Bonderman can combine to be our "ace."
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Who are your 1-4 in this example?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I dont think that we want to start Homer's arbitration clock next year when we could run out EZ again. I really think that we could win with a rotation of :
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Loshe
    4. Homer
    5. Milton
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Homer dominated AA this year. Unless he has a horrible spring he's earned the right to be in the rotation next year. I'm in the camp that thinks Milton's pitched well but if you could trade him to a pitcher's park we could spend the 9 mil better in other spots.

1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Lohse
    4. FA addition/Trade (I like the Padilla idea)
    5. Homer

I'm putting Homer at 5 because it gives us the options to skip some starts and limit his innings to whatever the number is supposed to be for someone his age.

Arroyo
    Harang
    Free Agent
    Lohse
    Milton

We could do worse than that. I think that they definitely need to go after an established closer since Eddie is out all next year.

Ohka would be the most reasonable FA choice. I don't have stats in front of me, but he seems like a heavy groundball pitcher when he's on.

Reds should take a look at Ted Lilly

Arroyo and Harang are givens. Those two take the top two spots.

I really think the Reds are going to make a run for a very good FA pitcher. I haven't taken a close look at possibilities, but I see them signing one guy who can make something of an impact.

Given his track record with Krivsky in Minnesota, I think you'll see Lohse back to start the year in '07 as well. I think there's a very good chance he tosses an ERA up around 4.00 over a full season in the NL and could even do better given his stuff and age.

The last spot is interesting. I think the Reds will make another run at trying to deal Milton this offseason to get rid of that final year of the deal. If they are successful, I think you'll see them sign another vet to start in the fifth spot. In either instance, I'd say you'll see Milton for the new vet start until around the end of June/early July and then be moved to the bullpen or dealt to turn the spot over to Homer Bailey. This lets you get a free half year or so out of Bailey as far as arbitration goes while also giving him some time against AAA hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'm in total agreement on that one. Decent strikeout rate from a lefty works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Theodore Roosevelt Lilly for Reds in 07

Turn Off Ads?