Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cody Ross

Re: Cody Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Very true. And when they acquired this guy everyone was saying "There's no romm for him. Where is he gonna play?"

It's fine to look back on everything with foresight; but at the time there was no room for Ross, and the injuries, stint on the DL, didn't help his cause any.
    Then he shouldn't have trade for him in the first place.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Was the PTBNL ever announced yet ?
    maybe it'll be Cody Ross. :
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    maybe it'll be Cody Ross. :
    I'd take him back in a heartbeat! Good 4th OF, good RH'd pop off the bench.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Getting 4-5 ABs most every day helps you a lot more than getting one or two a week.
    Yes, very true. But many here aren't willing to give Denorfia the benefit of the doubt in this respect.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Cody Ross was, at best, a 5th OF option behind Dunn, Kearns, Griffey and Freel. Even post-Kearns trade, he would probably have been behind Denorfia on the depth chart.

He's a decent ballplayer, but he'd have been languishing in obscurity if he'd stuck around the 513 area.
    Though he's pretty much exactly the kind of guy I'd want around as a 5th OF - good glove, has some wheels to go with a little pop. By definition 5th OFs have their flaws, but Ross, as he showed last night, has the ability to do some big things right.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Ross is having a fine year, no doubt about it. However, his problem here was that he didn't hit lefthanded. Q could and was an OFer too. Plus, you don't know how Ross would have done as a backup. I believe he is playing regularly in FLA. Getting 4-5 ABs most every day helps you a lot more than getting one or two a week.
    Debatable that Q could hit left-handed.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Cody Ross was, at best, a 5th OF option behind Dunn, Kearns, Griffey and Freel. Even post-Kearns trade, he would probably have been behind Denorfia on the depth chart.

He's a decent ballplayer, but he'd have been languishing in obscurity if he'd stuck around the 513 area.
    I agree, at the time, Ross was in the Wily Mo mold when our latin free swinger was stuck searching for playing time behind Griffey, Dunn and Kearns. Once Kearns was shipped to the nation's capital, that's when I really started to miss Ross, since I deem him to be better and have higher value than Hollandsworth. Denorfia vs Ross? Advantage Denorfia defensively, offensively it probably goes to Ross. I much rather would have seen 5 OF than 3 C, I do know that.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Ross is light-years more useful than Le Q, for sure, but even with the three bombs on his record, he's still hitting .242/.306/.478- which is no scarier than Russ Branyan territory. (Useful, but not clock-stopping.)

He's whiffed 55 times in 207 at-bats, which is also Branyan territory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5404

Denorfia's got to be better on defense and the basepaths. Ross is going to have to hit more than a fistful of homers to be more useful than Chris as a fourth outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why not? Teams do this all the time - pick up players (especially those DFA'd) for a PTBNL. Low risk. We picked him up for that (Ben Kozlowski to the Dodgers), and let him go for that (yet to be announced?)

What did Ross in was the injuries.

And IMO, Krivsky did a class thing in how he went about trying to deal Ross....

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...6/c1473117.jsp

Ross' first at-bat was memorable. A Roy Oswalt fastball hit his hand while he struck out against Houston on April 28, causing a deep bruise on his left pinky. It put him on the disabled list until he was activated on Tuesday. In between was a lengthy Minor League rehab assignment at Triple-A Louisville that helped get him extra at-bats. He started in left field for Cincinnati on Wednesday.

Knowing Ross had been designated a month earlier, Krivsky wanted to avoid making him go through it again. Ross would have had to sweat it out for a maximum 10-day period before either clearing waivers to the Minors or being picked up by another club.

"I started calling teams and tried to find a spot where someone wanted him," Krivsky said. "I wasn't looking so much for the return as I was keeping a player in the Major Leagues somewhere."

The rebuilding Marlins are stocked with young players. Ross knew that not every GM looks out for a player he's trying to unload.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

He is...right now....a better ML hitter than Denorfia and Q.....and this team needed him more than they realized later in the year.

At worst......he was the 2006 version of the 1973 Andy Kosco.

A power bat off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Why not? Teams do this all the time - pick up players (especially those DFA'd) for a PTBNL. Low risk. We picked him up for that (Ben Kozlowski to the Dodgers), and let him go for that (yet to be announced?)

What did Ross in was the injuries.

And IMO, Krivsky did a class thing in how he went about trying to deal Ross....

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...6/c1473117.jsp

Ross' first at-bat was memorable. A Roy Oswalt fastball hit his hand while he struck out against Houston on April 28, causing a deep bruise on his left pinky. It put him on the disabled list until he was activated on Tuesday. In between was a lengthy Minor League rehab assignment at Triple-A Louisville that helped get him extra at-bats. He started in left field for Cincinnati on Wednesday.

Knowing Ross had been designated a month earlier, Krivsky wanted to avoid making him go through it again. Ross would have had to sweat it out for a maximum 10-day period before either clearing waivers to the Minors or being picked up by another club.

"I started calling teams and tried to find a spot where someone wanted him," Krivsky said. "I wasn't looking so much for the return as I was keeping a player in the Major Leagues somewhere."

The rebuilding Marlins are stocked with young players. Ross knew that not every GM looks out for a player he's trying to unload.
    I like the way he unloaded him too, but it goes to pattern. Krivsky seems to be constantly in a see what sticks mode. Maybe 3-4 of his transactions have been good, 2 great. The rest have been head scratchers.

Honestly, the support for the man stems soley from the Arroyo and Phillips aquisitions. Ross is starting to come back to earth somewhat. Hatte was a nice signing, and as he is holding a seat for Votto, I can live with the extension.

But the number of truely BONEHEADED aquisitions astounds me. Hell even Jimbo doesn't want Yan or Mays. That says loads. Cody Ross was never going to play for the Reds. And because the GM or manager wanted Q instead, well that speaks loads too.
    Suck it up cupcake.

But the number of truely BONEHEADED aquisitions astounds me. Hell even Jimbo doesn't want Yan or Mays. That says loads. Cody Ross was never going to play for the Reds. And because the GM or manager wanted Q instead, well that speaks loads too.
    By BONEHEAD moves I'm assuming you're referring mainly to the Lopez-Kearns deal. And you (and others) may turn out to be right. Though neither one was setting anything "on fire" while here (especially Kearns).

But other then that (above), I don't see any of the other trades/acquisitions as truly being "bonehead" unless it somehow really hamstrings this organization in bulding for the future with guaranteed contracts and salary where we are stuck.

THIS YEAR, every GM was out there trying to acquire, and improve, their pitching situation. Heck, they were grabbing up our DFA's before they even hit the ground. What does that say about the market?

And I even stated then, long before the "trade", that this situation with the pitching/bullpen may be something that can't be fixed until the off-season because the market demand is too high right now.

But alot of these arms that Kriv acquired to try and bring some stability to this bullpen and give us a fighting chance this year, for the most part, came at a low risk/low investment, where they can just as easily be jettisoned with no harm to this team IMHO.

And there was a slight improvement in our BP's performance in the 2nd half. Very slight and obviously not enough; but there was improvement.

And a few are young and could very well pan out. We don't know that as of yet. But my point is I don't necessarily see them as "bonehead" moves.

And Kriv has shown that he is not afraid to cut loose from a player, and even eat a contract, when it seems that player is not gonna help us out.

And yes, he has taken risks. But again, a majority of those risks are IMHO low risks. Some have panned out, and some haven't. And when they haven't, he has cut them loose with really no harm to this team. And he will probably do some more at season's end.

But I think he was simply trying to do what he could to keep us in the hunt, and give us a fighting chance this year, while not completely dismantling the core of this team.

Now some may argue (and they have) that guys like Kearns-Lopez were, or could have been, part of that core. I just tend to disagree, based on their erratic performances. But you'll get no argument from me that Kriv may have "pulled the plug" on them too quickly, and possibly sold low.

But I think Kriv's positives still outweigh his negatives as far as moves go. But it only makes since, seeing the number of moves/decisions that Kriv has made in just his initial year as GM, that the odds were against him that some may turn out to be bad ones. We'll see.

At least he doesn't have a 5-tooler infatuation, wears leather pants, and lets his GF publically beat the crap out of him!
    Last edited by GAC; 09-17-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I disagree...Special K is a guy who trades little bits to get other little bits and pieces to make better parts..nothing wrong with stocking up on players who can be moved for players you need.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?