Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Farm System

  1. #1
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,764

    Farm System

    Has anyone in the new Reds new ownership/management made any mention of any future changes or improvements to the farm system? Have any new scouts or Minor league coaches been added to improve the farm system?We can talk trades/free agent signings till we are blue in the face but the heart and soul of the success of most franchises in particular the Reds has been a strong farm system and that is something the past several years has not been for the most part that productive. Having the likes of Ty Howington and Chris Gruler being our number one picks the past few years has not helped this franchise in the least. I hope the focus of this franchise is to at the very least develop our first quality starting pitcher since Tom Browning.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,673

    Re: Farm System

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Has anyone in the new Reds new ownership/management made any mention of any future changes or improvements to the farm system? Have any new scouts or Minor league coaches been added to improve the farm system?We can talk trades/free agent signings till we are blue in the face but the heart and soul of the success of most franchises in particular the Reds has been a strong farm system and that is something the past several years has not been for the most part that productive. Having the likes of Ty Howington and Chris Gruler being our number one picks the past few years has not helped this franchise in the least. I hope the focus of this franchise is to at the very least develop our first quality starting pitcher since Tom Browning.

    Nothing personally, but Howington and Gruler are getting into the "years ago" realm.

  4. #3
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,764

    Re: Farm System

    Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Nothing personally, but Howington and Gruler are getting into the "years ago" realm.
    Howington was drafted #1 in 1999 and Gruler #1 in 2002. Had those guys been decent picks they would be here and producing by now!!

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,672

    Re: Farm System

    I hope the focus of this franchise is to at the very least develop our first quality starting pitcher since Tom Browning.
    Oddly enough now with Harang and Arroyo around bolstering the rotation to the almost respectable level...sure enough there are some guys in the minors who project to be decent starters.

    Check out the names Baily, Cueto, and Wood. None of them are older than 21. They've looked very good in AA, high A and low A respectively. Very highly thought of prospects. Baily was recently ranked the second best right handed starting pitching prospect in baseball. All three of those guys are comparable to the pre-injury Howington. It's a matter of keeping them healthy.

    Phil Dumatrait is still in the organization. It's still barely possible that he or Brandon Claussen could become something interesting. Not likely, but possible. The Lizard is still around. I have no idea how he stayed as effective as he did for so long, but with pitchers anything can happen.

    In addition the reds had another low A prosepct named Zach Ward that they turned into Kyle Lohse in a deal that had me furious at the time, but looks better every time Lohse goes out there and throws well. I think Lohse is an important part of their short term plans.

    Odd to think that the rotation will soon be a strength of my favorite nine.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    117

    Re: Farm System

    I saw Grueler pitched a little in Rookie Ball this year. Does anyone know what the report on him was?

    Anyone heard if Howington is finished or still pitching somewhere? How about Richie Gardner?

    These guys are no Homer Bailey type, but its always possible they could get it going and pitch out of the bullpen.
    Hey Marty, This is Adam from Milwaukee...

  7. #6
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,538

    Re: Farm System

    Last I heard Gruler suffered another setback and was pretty much done. Or perhaps I'm getting him confused with Pauly? I know Gardner was doing pretty well in instructional league after his shoulder surguy, and the first step in his comeback from that injury was going smoothly.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,236

    Re: Farm System

    Quote Originally Posted by bradmu View Post
    I saw Grueler pitched a little in Rookie Ball this year. Does anyone know what the report on him was?

    Anyone heard if Howington is finished or still pitching somewhere? How about Richie Gardner?

    These guys are no Homer Bailey type, but its always possible they could get it going and pitch out of the bullpen.
    Howington signed on with the Lincoln Saltdogs in the new American Association in April, but was released a month later. I can't find anything further on him.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25