Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Would You Do This Slobber-Knocker This Offseason?

Would You Do This Slobber-Knocker This Offseason?

I mentioned this in another thread but thought it deserved a thread of its own. Yeah, yeah it's still the regular season but this idea came up and thought I would throw it out for you to chew on. Let me propose the first slobber-knocker of the offseason for Wayne Krivsky:

Reds trade OF Adam Dunn, LHP Eric Milton and RHP Matt Belisle to the Detroit Tigers for RHP Jermey Bonderman, OF Craig Monroe and RHP Fernando Rodney.
    For the Reds they upgrade their starting rotation with Bonderman and gives them a solid three with Arroyo, Harang and Bonderman. Get Monroe out of that spacious ballpark in Detroit and he can easily hit 30+ home runs and 90+ RBIs while playing in RF. Griffey would shift to LF and the Reds would use Freel and Denorifa in CF.....which would improve the outfield defense. Rodney gives the Reds another setup man and a candidate for the closer spot come 2007.

For the Tigers, they boast their offensive production with Dunn and can use him as a DH and part-time LF (would share time with Marcus Thames). Milton might have better success in that spacious ballpark and will be in his walk year. Belisle gives them a guy for middle relief and could possibly be a setup guy for young RHP Jeff Zumaya.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Do This Slobber-Knocker This Offseason?

The Reds would likely have to kick in a lot of cash to make that deal happen. Even then, I'm not sure the Tigers do it.

I don't think it's enough from the Tigers side.

I'd want Granderson.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I'd want Granderson.

Problem with Granderson coming to the Reds is the Tigers now have a hole in CF.

Reds could add cash to the deal. But if you can upgrade the rotation and bullpen by trading Dunn, you have to consider it.

Money is a bigger player in the game then imagination.

Krusty, you are better off trading Dunn alone. Adding Milton and Belisle doesn't help your deal.

Detroit would not view Milton -- big salary next year, bad results for two years -- as enhancing the deal from their end. They are not going to give up more good players because you add Milton. (They might take him but demand some cash back.) As for Belisle, just look at his major and minor league numbers for the last four years and add a bad back.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I'd want Granderson.
    I think more would have to be kicked in from the Reds side if Dunn and Bonderman are the principals.

Reds would have to give up at least another very good prospect and probably two (and take out Belisle) to get the Tigers to take Milton, and Dunn's salary.

It'd have to be something like:

CIN: Trades Dunn, Milton, Cueto, and Pelland.

DET: Trades Bonderman, Rodney, and Monroe.

If you wanted Granderson, it would most likely cost more.

And at that point, I'm not even sure if it's worth doing.

Wayne is going to have to calm himself down a little this winter, IMO. We've got some real nice pieces in the minors that aren't too far away now. The best bet is to add to those players for the future, IMO, not trade them away for a chance next season, especially if you're dealing Adam Dunn.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Center the deal around Dunn for Bonderman. What dressings the Reds and Tigers would add would be up to the GMs.

It would seem the Tigers would like to get a pitcher in return to replace Bonderman. If you're the Reds, you would like to get an outfielder in return that could be an upgrade defensively and replace some of the lost offense.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Money is a bigger player in the game then imagination.
    That is true. But if you can't have some fun with this what is the sense of bothering posting? Life is too short man.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    That is true. But if you can't have some fun with this what is the sense of bothering posting? Life is too short man.
    I have plenty of fun, I'm just stating a fact, you propose sending a team about 18 million bucks in payroll for 2 guys that can walk after one year.

If it's my business that's getting that type of return I sure don't send them guys making less then 1/3rd of that and guys who are under control of the club for a couple more seasons.

Not a fan of Bonderman. He has never been anything but slightly above average, is now going to get very expensive and isn't far from free agency. Reds may do as well to sign an FA like Lilly.

Sure, you can debate the details, but I'd give a to a Dunn/Bonderman deal. It makes sense for both sides.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Not a fan of Bonderman. He has never been anything but slightly above average

This year he has been one of the league's best pitchers. Take out some bad BAPIP luck, and you are looking at a guy in the heat of a Cy Young race.

This season he's struck out lots of guys, walked few, and given up few HRs. What's not to like?

I for one think that this would be a very good deal IF the Tigers would accept it...
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?