Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

I think we do need to sweep the Padres. Not just because of them but we need to gain ground on the other three teams above us who are all playing teams below us in the wild card standings.

(Florida is playing the Mets though)

I am still not giving up on catching the Cardinals.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

I don't believe we have to sweep, but I do believe we have to take 2 games. There are too many teams ahead of us in the Wild Card race for us to not gain ground. The Reds can't play .500 ball and make the playoffs.

They don't have to sweep to stay alive. Two of three puts them 2.5 games out with almost three weeks to play. If they lose two of three, I think their chances of making the postseason are very, very slim. But what do I know? I counted them out after the West coast disaster, and now I'm back to being hopeful again.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Any realistic shot at a playoff spot has to start with a sweep in this series. They Reds really need to go on a tear without delay and it has to start with one of the teams in front of them.

Yes,absolutely. No sweep and the season is basically over,IMO. Sweep them and you have renewed momentum and you never know what may happen. Narron should treat every game this series like the 7th game of the World Series. Using every pitcher and player available.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes,absolutely. No sweep and the season is basically over,IMO. Sweep them and you have renewed momentum and you never know what may happen. Narron should treat every game this series like the 7th game of the World Series. Using every pitcher and player available.
    I totally agree with the 7th game of the World Series strategy. A BIG key is for us to get off to an EARLY lead each game.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

So, you guys are saying that if they're 2.5 games out with 16 or so games left to play that they're all but out of it?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I agree 100% with you, Macro. I am as guilty as anyone as throwing dirt on this season after the west coast trip but I'm not sure things are as bad as we all think they are, especially if they can take 2 out of 3 against the Padres (or more).

2.5 games back with still two full weeks to go isn't at all impossible to make up.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

GOREDSGO32

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    So, you guys are saying that if they're 2.5 games out with 16 or so games left to play that they're all but out of it?
    Um, thats 2.5 games behind the PADRES. There's still the Giants, the Phillies, and the Marlins above us - and if the Padres fall that doesn't mean that other teams won't take their place. Reds have to sweep to even stay in it right now, time is running out. Thank the road trip from hell and losing a series to the Giants right after for that. It's a Hail Mary at this point.

I think to have a *real* chance they have to sweep. If they win 2 out of 3, they will have a pulse, but a feeble one.

The problem with the wild card is that they have to climb over 3 other teams to pass the Padres. So if the Reds beat SD, they will gain ground. The problem is, so will other winning wild card-chasing teams.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

GOREDSGO32

I should point out that since Florida is two games back of the Padres, if the Reds sweep the Padres, worst case scenerio, the Reds would be 1.5 out. If the Marlins lose during the series, the worst case is the Reds are 1 game back depending on Philly and SF.

This is a big big IF though, its going to be a major longshot for this team to pull off a sweep after the disgusting way they have shot the season to hell.

We probably need to go at least 13-6 in the last 19. I don't think it matters what order we win or lose them in, but seeing as San Diego has to stay at the same level for that record to matter, a series win is very important.

I think the answer is yes, if its ever been yes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2 out of 3 is a MUST. W/o that, put a fork in'em.

Old Red Guard Reject

Yes, a sweep to stay in it. Also, I agree with the urgency. No screw off lineups to give guys "a rest". They'll be plenty of time for resting if they don't win in a hurry.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?