Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

Re: Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

They might be able to live with 2 out of 3, but they are rapidly running out of time and they can't afford to keep giving up opportunities to gain ground...any ground.

A sweep is critical to any chance of being in this thing. 2 out of 3 prob will just be keeping the life support on but not really giving us a chance.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

They need a sweep. The problem if we only win 2 of 3 to get 2 1/2 games back is the other teams between the Reds and Padres. If they were 2 1/2 back with no teams between them they might still have a chance especially with 9 games left against the Cubs and Pirates. But if we are still 2 1/2 games back the problem is I don't think the Reds will catch the Marlins who are playing so well now that if the Padres collapse the most likely team to win the WC is Florida.

Recovering Cubs Fan

We "needed" to sweep the Pirates. We "need" every win we can get. Honestly, I'm not worried as long as we still have 7 games left against the Magnificent Chicago Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    They need a sweep. The problem if we only win 2 of 3 to get 2 1/2 games back is the other teams between the Reds and Padres. If they were 2 1/2 back with no teams between them they might still have a chance especially with 9 games left against the Cubs and Pirates. But if we are still 2 1/2 games back the problem is I don't think the Reds will catch the Marlins who are playing so well now that if the Padres collapse the most likely team to win the WC is Florida.

We still get to play 3 against Florida so we would control our own destiny with them. I'm just worried about Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    We still get to play 3 against Florida so we would control our own destiny with them. I'm just worried about Philly.
    Not only 3 with the Reds, but 6 with the Mets & 6 with the Phillys. I'm not worried about Florida or Philly, it's SD who has the easiest schedule along with the Reds.

Man Pills

I think 15-4 gets the Reds in the playoffs. I don't think they'll approach that record.

We don't, but the Reds do.
    Weathers' W/L when I am attending (2009): 0-1

The Reds cannot afford to lose a series from here on out.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Tonight on the pregame show, Jerry Narron stated he is concentrating on the division title. He kind of makes sense (no jokes please).

Would you rather be in 5th place trailing by 3.5 games

or

be in second place trailing by 5 games.

Is the game and a half worth the trade off?
    Last edited by goreds2; 09-12-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Thats ONE! Reds win 5-4!

GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Tonight on the pregame show, Jerry Narron stated he is concentrating on the division title. He kind of makes sense (no jokes please).

Would you rather be in 5th place trailing by 3.5 games

or

be in second place trailing by 5 games.

Is the game and a half worth the trade off?
    It doesn't make sense to me. How is concentrating on the division going to help anything? The division is in the Cardinals hands. They can play average the rest of the way and easily win the division, especially since we don't play them anymore.

As for the wild card, we have a better chance on winning that solely based on the fact that we are less games out.

Concentrating on winning either the division or the wild card makes no sense. Winning as many games as possible and seeing how that stacks up at the end of the season makes perfect sense to me.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me. How is concentrating on the division going to help anything? The division is in the Cardinals hands. They can play average the rest of the way and easily win the division, especially since we don't play them anymore.

As for the wild card, we have a better chance on winning that solely based on the fact that we are less games out.

Concentrating on winning either the division or the wild card makes no sense. Winning as many games as possible and seeing how that stacks up at the end of the season makes perfect sense to me.
    That makes perfect sense. "Just win baby"

GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

I can see Narron's logic in this, the Reds sit behind the Pads, Marlins (who the Reds have 3 games left with BTW), Phillies and Giants. That's 4 teams you hope lose so you can leap frog into the wildcard lead. That's a bit of a stretch, but I guess so is asking the Cards to lose. While that isn't out of the question with the way St Louis has been playing of late. Anyone know who the Cards have left on their schedule?

The Cardinals have

5 with Houston
    3 with San Francisco
    3 with San Diego
    & 7 with Milwaukee

Turn Off Ads?