Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast

Thread: 9/12/06 - Reds vs. Padres Game Thread

Re: 9/12/06 - Reds vs. Padres Game Thread

Ross is younger and cheaper at this point. Larue is getting to the age where catchers fade away. I'm not saying Ross is going to be the answer or that he will repeat this year's numbers but with Valentin as a backup, I take David Ross every time. If the Reds can find someone to take on Larue's contract, jump on it quickly.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I will say nothing bad about Mr. LaRue the rest of the season. Anyone else hit a walkoff HR, same deal.....

What if it's Ryan Franklyn? :

Just glad they won, and glad for LaRue, after all of his years of service and solid play, that he had the big hit. Still alive, and still relevant, on September 13. Nice. Win tonight and make it relevant for tomorrow.

Just an observation from the last night's game. But when the Reds tied the game on Phillips fielders choice, the announcers went on about BP's hustle, and rightly so.

But there was no mention of Dunn taking out the second baseman. He was motoring to second and I was surprised that he was able to get so close to second. He got a great jump and did his part to break up the DP.

He takes a lot of criticism for "not caring" but I was surprised the Reds announcers totally overlooked his hustle on that play.

BP really can move can't he, he makes those base lines look short.

Just an observation from the last night's game. But when the Reds tied the game on Phillips fielders choice, the announcers went on about BP's hustle, and rightly so.

But there was no mention of Dunn taking out the second baseman. He was motoring to second and I was surprised that he was able to get so close to second. He got a great jump and did his part to break up the DP.

He takes a lot of criticism for "not caring" but I was surprised the Reds announcers totally overlooked his hustle on that play.
    True, they did not credit Dunn. But the way I saw it, Barfield made the turn pretty quickly -- Dunn didn't seem to disrupt him. What irked me is that EdE's steal of 3rd was ignored. Without the steal, no tie ballgame. They were right to credit Phillips' speed in beating the relay throw, but to completely ignore the steal was a huge analytical oversight.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's amazing the comments you see when a team Pipps a starting catcher who has a history of solid performance, gives him backup-level AB, and then we judge him on that small sample size performance while omitting the history of solid performance.

David Ross' 2006 is basically Javier Valentin's 2005. Develop a plan based on either of those players repeating those numbers and you're pretty much sunk.

Thanks to Valentin and Ross for the small-sample career years, though.
    The difference between Ross and Valentin is that Ross has demonstrated he can hit more than the fastball. I think the peril lies in a developing a plan based on a catcher who will be 33 next year and has never demonstrated anything near the .958 OPS of 29 year old David Ross this year. I mean, do you seriously want Larue over Ross? Just doesn't jibe with the normal analysis you make of players. PS- Valentin OPS 2005=.882 Apples and Oranges to compare him to Ross this year.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Oh my Lord, I like a good debate, but I can see NO complaints about Jason LaRue last night. a good debate about our catching tandem is fine and warranted, but for crying out loud, in simplest terms, a Red won a tied game in the eleventh inning last night with a walk-off home run. I saw no "pouting" at all, but frankly I don't care if he throws down his batting helmet in disgust after hitting it. You NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT A WALK-OFF HOME RUN! Especially in such a much-needed game! That's just batty talk! If I were a schoolteacher this would be time-out time. Or maybe dunce cap time.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Franklin has an ERA of 5.7 and a WHIP of ~2 during his time with the Reds.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Oh my Lord, I like a good debate, but I can see NO complaints about Jason LaRue last night. I saw no "pouting" at all, but frankly I don't care if he throws down his batting helmet in disgust after hitting it.
    I was watching the game and his reaction, particularly to his teammates, stood out to me. But as I wrote in the Reds Live thread, the most important thing is that he approached his plate appearance professionally and won the game. I don't care how he celebrates. The guy's had a tough season, and if he's po'd, that's fine as long as he does his job when called upon. He did that in a big way yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Reminds me of that great scene from Old School when Will Ferrell has the dart stuck in his neck and says "Is this bad?". That's Ryan Franklin looking at his stats.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    The difference between Ross and Valentin is that Ross has demonstrated he can hit more than the fastball. I think the peril lies in a developing a plan based on a catcher who will be 33 next year and has never demonstrated anything near the .958 OPS of 29 year old David Ross this year. I mean, do you seriously want Larue over Ross? Just doesn't jibe with the normal analysis you make of players. PS- Valentin OPS 2005=.882 Apples and Oranges to compare him to Ross this year.
    And last year folks were pimping Valentin as the guy the Reds should keep while dumping Larue after Valentin's small sample size career year.

There's the connection- small sample size career years. Fun to watch. Completely untrustworthy from a projection standpoint. The Reds would be smart to shop Ross in the offseason to a team tricked into thinking that 2006 was the real David Ross, just as it would have been smart to shop Valentin last offseason.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    That good, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    And last year folks were pimping Valentin as the guy the Reds should keep while dumping Larue after Valentin's small sample size career year.

There's the connection- small sample size career years. Fun to watch. Completely untrustworthy from a projection standpoint. The Reds would be smart to shop Ross in the offseason to a team tricked into thinking that 2006 was the real David Ross, just as it would have been smart to shop Valentin last offseason.
    I'm not convinced this is a career year for Ross--he's a young player. And I think I can comfortably predict we've seen the top of Larue's game.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I'm not convinced this is a career year for Ross--he's a young player. And I think I can comfortably predict we've seen the top of Larue's game.
    Interestingly enough, LaRue and Ross share a birthday, March 19. On Opening Day 2007, David Ross will be 30, and LaRue will be 33.

I agree with your assessment of LaRue; I think his game peaked, at least offensively, last year.

30 is very middle-aged for a catcher. Neither of them are spring chickens. I think Ross has more power than LaRue, but that's about it. LaRue is also better defensively. Also this: Ross has hit just .204 since the All Star break. NL pitchers are starting to figure him out.

Me? I'd deal Ross in the offseason for pitching, if you can get something decent for him. I think he's also seen his highwater mark.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?