Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've had it and I must say it.

NPCoach

I've had it and I must say it.

Many may disagree with this but I have to say it. IMO, the in-season trades made by Krivsky have been absolutely and positively crap. You can argue that Lohse has been a find and that's fine but the bottom line is the overall body of work regarding his in-season moves is really, really, really bad. I don't care that we didn't have to give up much or this or that. The bottom line is we didn't get quality in return and in most cases we got damaged goods. I will watch every game until the end and I won't give up hope but I am really frustrated with the same poor drafting, scouting, developing, stressing of fundamental baseball (my state championship teams in 05 and 06 were hands down more fundamentally sound), and trading for patch work veterans who if they make a dollar are overapaid. Maybe this regime will improve but I have seen enough of Krivsky to realize he has a long way to go. I continue to hold out hope that things will improve. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I've had it and I must say it.

Not Ross, not Phillips. But most everything after June 1 has had some pretty questionable results.

Congratulations on being the 1,000 person to post a thread on this topic...

Get over it.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by NPCoach View Post
    Many may disagree with this but I have to say it. IMO, the in-season trades made by Krivsky have been absolutely and positively crap. You can argue that Lohse has been a find and that's fine but the bottom line is the overall body of work regarding his in-season moves is really, really, really bad. I don't care that we didn't have to give up much or this or that. The bottom line is we didn't get quality in return and in most cases we got damaged goods. I will watch every game until the end and I won't give up hope but I am really frustrated with the same poor drafting, scouting, developing, stressing of fundamental baseball (my state championship teams in 05 and 06 were hands down more fundamentally sound), and trading for patch work veterans who if they make a dollar are overapaid. Maybe this regime will improve but I have seen enough of Krivsky to realize he has a long way to go. I continue to hold out hope that things will improve. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks.
    I agree completely.

And never apologize for a perfectly legitimate position.

Who are you wanting Krivsky to trade? This team was flat out terrible going into this year. Im talking 100 loss awful. They had 1 player who could land us anything worth while and there would be an uprising if he traded him. Pena landed us way more than his actual value and Kearns/Lopez might not have gotten market value but one could give you a good argument that there was hardly any market value in those two.

Dunn is the only player in Cincinnati right now who would land us something big and i believe we arent going to get what most people expect for him. And there is only one player in the minors who could land us something big, Bailey. That is a combined 2 players in the entire organization that could land us something big. There are a few others: Bruce, Votto, Harang, Ross, and a few more out there who could land us some good players but no players that are going to not cause an uprising from the fans.

What im getting at is Krivsky doesnt have anyone to trade. This season we have created some more prospects but not enough depth to legitimize trading some off and the players on the 25-man roster (excluding Dunn) arent going to get you hardly anything or atleast anything better than that player actually offers.

Redszone seems to forget that both sides have to agree to a trade. Many times your can pawn decent talent off onto a team for a much better return (see Braves). But no matter how you figure it your not going to pawn trash off on other teams unless your the Reds version 2000-2005. And so far all Krivsky has been able to do is trade trash.

NPCoach

Oh, I agree we don't have a lot of trade but that's part of my problem with the Reds. Why trade to trade. No doubt they made these trades because they thought they would help the team. If you don't have anything to trade, thus, not expecting much in return when you do trade then just stand pat. The Reds had to have added payroll with the guys they have added over the last three or four months. Why not stand pat and keep the money back for someone productive who can actually help in 2007.

NPCoach

Thanks for the informative post. I thought these boards were for discussion. I opened a topic that served two purposes. One, to help me feel better and to open a little discussion.

Oh, good lord! VI_RedsFan has it right. This has been discussed ad nauseum. With both hands tied behind his back and forced to come into the game late, Krivsky has been gradually tearing down the pile of garbage brought in by the past administration and reconstructing a team which has competed up until early this month. Competed!

This from a team expected to finish last or near to it. Have all the trades worked out? No! They never do! But if anyone believes WK has made trades just for the sake of making them, you've got another think coming. It's absurd.

We had a bullpen at the break that should have been placed in the witness protection program. He has stockpiled pitchers trying to patch together a decent staff. He took flyers on pitchers that other teams would have looked at too (shall we mention Sidney Ponson was picked up by the Yankees, our own reject Dave Williams was taken by the Mets via trade). Pitching is pitching, and you leave no rock unturned.

Go ahead and bemoan all you want. This is not the old days with the Reds and, IMO, it's absurd to suggest it is.

I think the OP has an original point. If you guys disagree, how about coming up with counterpoints instead of telling him to shut up? If you're tired of reading the same topic, why read this thread?

Look at this roster in February and tell me under any circumstances how a .500 record would be possible?

I think we need some perspective here and we need to stop looking for a miracle man. We had NOTHING but junk to trade away this year and Krivsky was going for it without mortaging the future. In fact I think we have a more flexible future with an actual baseball roster.

And Felipe Lopez as your starting SS was never going to cut it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I hope Krivsky can pick up more "crap" like Schoeneweis and his 0.84 ERA since he's been with the team...and another nice outing to get the win tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ickey333 View Post
    I hope Krivsky can pick up more "crap" like Schoeneweis and his 0.84 ERA since he's been with the team...and another nice outing to get the win tonight.

You made my point for me.

Fact is, Krivsky's good moves far outweigh the bad. Heck, there'd be no pennant race for Franklin to blow without Ross, Arroyo, and Phillips. And don't forget the jettisoning of guys like Womack, Williams, and McCracken. Addition by subtraction.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-12-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

For Pete's sake, the guy only has 8 posts... I'm sure he doesn't know this has been discussed ad nauseum... and he had something to say.

Give him a break.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-12-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by ickey333 View Post
    You mean like Franklin?

For every positive with Wayne, I'll go ya one negative.

GOREDSGO32

I'll agree that most moves in the midseason have done little to nothing, but we didn't really sacrifice a lot either quite frankly.
    Last edited by GOREDSGO32; 09-12-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Turn Off Ads?