Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, this sounds bad.

Man Pills

Re: Well, this sounds bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Especially since his philosophy is based on an organization that has seen winning records in the last 5 years including 3 division championships.

But he's a dolt.
    Wayne Krivsky has fallen VERY far from Ryan's tree.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I understand being careful with Bailey. I understand pitch counts. But I do think part of holding him back is an organization that is spooked because of its failure to develop starting pitching over the past 20 years. At a certain point you've got to say "We're in a pennant race, and it's time to jump in the water."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    how much is Miltons buyout at the end of the year?
    He doesn't have one.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Milton can opt out of his deal if he chooses. Some brainwashing is in order.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I understand being careful with Bailey. I understand pitch counts. But I do think part of holding him back is an organization that is spooked because of its failure to develop starting pitching over the past 20 years. At a certain point you've got to say "We're in a pennant race, and it's time to jump in the water."
    That's a phenomenal strategy for ruining a top pitching prospect, aka the sort of strategy that's known to bury a franchise deeper in the pit known as losing. It's the type of strategy I'd prefer the Reds avoid.

Krivsky's made a number of questionable moves throughout the organization this season, but I do believe his main strength and asset is developing young pitching in the minor league system. Krivsky's protection and development of Homer Bailey, including having Mario Soto work with Bailey in spring training, is most definitely not one of his questionable moves this season.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-13-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Wayne Krivsky has fallen VERY far from Ryan's tree.
    I think it's WAAAAAAAAY too early to make that statement. He may very well prove you right, but your negative reviews of his performance to date speaks more of your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    With those factors in mind, well what kind of pitching line could we expect from Bailey? IMO, a five plus inning effort while only allowing two or three runs is somewhat reasonable and should probably be considered successful. Given the low pitch count and incredibly short leash on Bailey, the bullpen would still be leaned on heavily to pitch a large quantity of vastly important innings in any Bailey start.
    In other words, the same thing they got out of Sun-Woo Kim, without the risk of screwing up the system's top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    I think it's WAAAAAAAAY too early to make that statement.
    I agree. I'll add that Krivsky's done a lot more good than bad this season and it's been a long time since we could say that about a Reds GM.

He made two brilliant pickups with Arroyo and Phillips and added Scott Hatteberg as a nifty (though of late overexposed and improperly deployed) bit of help. He also picked two staggering surprises, to me at least, in Dave Ross and Kyle Lohse. Eddie Guardado was working out like gangbusters until he got injured (though admittedly how much he had left in his arm was an issue when the trade went down) and Scott Schoeneweis has been a nice grab (and the NL probably won't catch up with his wrinkles until next season).

Now, I wouldn't bank on Ross and Lohse keeping up their level of play next year and Hatteberg's certainly showing his limits too, but aside from one really bad trade (and how often does a GM make the best and worst trades in the league in the same year?) Krivsky's done pretty well by the franchise.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree. I'll add that Krivsky's done a lot more good than bad this season and it's been a long time since we could say that about a Reds GM.

He made two brilliant pickups with Arroyo and Phillips and added Scott Hatteberg as a nifty (though of late overexposed and improperly deployed) bit of help. He also picked two staggering surprises, to me at least, in Dave Ross and Kyle Lohse. Eddie Guardado was working out like gangbusters until he got injured (though admittedly how much he had left in his arm was an issue when the trade went down) and Scott Schoeneweis has been a nice grab (and the NL probably won't catch up with his wrinkles until next season).

Now, I wouldn't bank on Ross and Lohse keeping up their level of play next year and Hatteberg's certainly showing his limits too, but aside from one really bad trade (and how often does a GM make the best and worst trades in the league in the same year?) Krivsky's done pretty well by the franchise.
    Nice assessment. Without Arroyo, Phillips, Ross, Hatteberg, Guardado, Lohse, but with Kearns, Lopez and Pena, the Reds wouldn't be talking about whether Bailey can help the stretch run. Germano and Chick may already have taken a few turns in the rotation, even.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Good post, M2.

I'll add that any attempts to compare Krivsky and Ryan are probably doomed in the first place. Ryan had the luxury of following, for lack of a better term, the Dan O'Brien plan. By the time the Twins were ready to compete (after Ryan had already been on the job 5+ years), it was his team. Krivsky's trying to win now with a flawed team he inherited. Apples and oranges.

This offseason will give us a much clearer picture of what type of ballclub he wants to build, although I don't think it's any big secret.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Well, Liriano left the Twins game today after 2 innings after apparently re-injuring the left elbow. I'm surprised they didn't shut the kid down for the year.

I wonder if this will make Krvisky more gunshy w/regards to Homer?

You know ive said all along it would be impossible to see Bailey this season......

but with this?? Is it too late to get him up here.. and wheres Rameriz?
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

This sucks.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace View Post
    You know ive said all along it would be impossible to see Bailey this season......

but with this?? Is it too late to get him up here.. and wheres Rameriz?
    Ramirez was recalled and then placed on the 60 day DL with shoulder tendenitis, so he's not an option.

I think we should keep Bailey shut down. I'd rather make do with a a committee of pitchers for the few times we need a 5th starter. I'm not nearly as glum as some regarding that option. I would hate to cause later problems for Bailey calling him up now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Ramirez was recalled and then placed on the 60 day DL with shoulder tendenitis, so he's not an option.

I think we should keep Bailey shut down. I'd rather make do with a a committee of pitchers for the few times we need a 5th starter. I'm not nearly as glum as some regarding that option. I would hate to cause later problems for Bailey calling him up now.
    Yea i dont wanna see him come up either but we cant afford to GIVE away games either
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?