Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, this sounds bad.

Man Pills

Re: Well, this sounds bad.

Folks, Guardado gave us, what, 12-13 innings?

And Lohse has benefitted from an NL boost, but it's not as though we picked up the guy up for free; Ward would have been nice throw-in this offseason. Plus, Lohse totally spit the bit out on the west coast.

Pump up Phillips, Hatte, Arroyo, and Ross all you want, but the other stuff has either been negligible help (Guardado/Lohse) or an out and out disaster (Cormier, Mays, Maj, Bray, Franklin, the absence of Lopez and Kearns helping the team OBP, the dumping of the other Ross, the McCrackens, Hollandsworths, the failure to force Griffey out of a position where he kills the team).

Oh, and let's not forget what an absolute BUST of a draft the guy had.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pump up Phillips, Hatte, Arroyo, and Ross all you want,
    You mean the team OPS leader, two guys who soldified the defense, all three represent 22% of the teams total at bats and the pitcher who leads the team in wins and has 16% of the innings pitched for the season?

Compared to all the moves you're at issue with the above are a much greater reason that the Reds are good then the ones you have issue with are why the Reds are bad.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean the team OPS leader, two guys who soldified the defense, all three represent 22% of the teams total at bats and the pitcher who leads the team in wins and has 16% of the innings pitched for the season?

Compared to all the moves you're at issue with the above are a much greater reason that the Reds are good then the ones you have issue with are why the Reds are bad.
    Can I count Wayne not smashing Narron over the head with a steel chair for allowing Encarnacion to ride the pine for an eternity?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Oh, and let's not forget what an absolute BUST of a draft the guy had.
    This year's draft class is in rookie ball and you already know it was a bust?

I wish I were as smart as you think you are.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Sorry to interrupt the regularly scheduled anti-Krivsky bleating by dragging the thread back on topic, but during the game tonight they said the saline-enhanced MRI revealed no damage, and as of right now Milton is expected to make his next scheduled start.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    This year's draft class is in rookie ball and you already know it was a bust?

I wish I were as smart as you think you are.
    You mean the rookie ball team that did quite well in their league? The one with a shortstop setting the league record for longest hitting streak and also had one of the league's best hitters?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Sorry to interrupt the regularly scheduled anti-Krivsky bleating by dragging the thread back on topic, but during the game tonight they said the saline-enhanced MRI revealed no damage, and as of right now Milton is expected to make his next scheduled start.
    Good to hear on Milton, and I hope he is able to take the mound since he's better than the alternative. Additionally, this should help keep Krivsky's fingers away from the Homer Bailey button, not that I thought his fingers were anywhere near that button anyway.

It looks like Chattanooga's season is over, and with Bailey still not with the big club, I'm 99.9 percent certain that Homer's been shut down for the remainder of the season. If that's the case and Homer's season is over, then kudos to Krivsky for protecting the kid's arm.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Signing Milton was a devastating blow to the Red's playoff hopes.
    Agreed
    Go Gators!

Glad to hear the news on Eric........regardless of what people think of his ability, the alternative is almost unbearable.
    Let's play two!!!

He passed the MRI which is good. But this all sounds like driving a car down the road with a bunch of clanking coming from under the hood. The mechanic says he can't find anything wrong. But I think Milton is about to throw a piston through his hood. Just like Mercker and Guardado.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...609140351/1071

Milton's elbow passes test
    Enhanced MRI finds no red flags; Sunday's start appears safe
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds are hopeful that left-hander Eric Milton will be able to make his start Sunday in Chicago.

Milton had a saline-enhanced MRI Wednesday after leaving Tuesday's game with stiffness in his elbow.

"There weren't any gross findings," team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek said. "His ligament was OK."

Milton was given a cortisone injection to reduce the swelling.

"He's hell-bent on pitching with us in the hunt for the playoffs," Kremchek said. "We'll see Friday. But we hope he can pitch in his next start."

Milton was effective in the start Tuesday.

He went five innings, allowing one run on four hits, but he felt something on a pitch in the fifth.

Milton declined to talk about the elbow Wednesday, but he was clearly concerned Tuesday night.

"It kept getting worse as the game went on," Milton said. "It was getting stiff and painful between innings. I didn't want to go out there without my best stuff."

Milton has never had any arm problems.

"It was a shock to us all," Kremchek said. "It didn't sound like anything serious. But we went ahead and did the saline-enhanced MRI to be sure."

The saline-enhanced MRI is what showed closer Eddie Guardado had a torn ligament in his elbow after a standard MRI showed no structural damage.

If Milton can't start, it will be a huge blow to the Reds.

The club still hasn't announced who will make Saturday's start in Chicago.

It will be either left-hander Chris Michalak, who worked in relief Wednesday, or right-handers Jason Johnson and Sun-Woo Kim.

One of those probably will get the call Sunday if Milton can't go.

Michalak and Kim spent most of the year in the minors.

Johnson went 3-12 with a 6.35 ERA in stints with Cleveland and Boston.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

Pay attention to the open sky

Sounds like Milton doesn't have a lot of confidence in what Dr. K is telling him and probably has some concerns about coming back when things aren't exactly feeling right. Most pitchers who have reached even the high school level, at one time or another, pitch with some pain. There is the pain you know, and then, there is the pain you are not familiar with. Sounds like the latter with Milton. I have always maintained that nobody knows your arm better than you do. If Milton is not confident and has concerns, they better listen to him. This wouldn't be the first time that a pitcher has been rushed back to the mound, only to find later that there is a real problem brewing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I guess I'm still baffled by the urgency to throw Homer Bailey into the 2006 mix. Why start his clock? What can he honestly offer this club?

As Cyclone stated, the kid would be on the shortest of leashes in Narron's arsenal (if there is such a thing), which then puts even more pressure on this patchwork quilt bullpen. If we have to rely on our bullpen for around 4 IP per Homer start, then we're no better in that situation than trotting out the 3 headed monster of Kim, Johnson and Michalak to give us their version of 5 IP and then leave it to the bullpen.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want to see Homer Bailey spend the entire calendar year 2007 in AA and AAA to hopefully develop some sort of control and be able to throw all his pitches for strikes, a skill he currently lacks.

There is no urgency. I freely admit to being the one who murmured about it (for the first time) earlier in this thread. And that murmuring was solely hypothetical based on the wild proposition that the Reds sweep the Padres and get to the weekend with real playoff hopes intact and meaningful games to play.

Last night ended any such dreaming, so, yes, I agree, no rush on Bailey...

Agreed.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

"It was a shock to us all," Kremchek said. "It didn't sound like anything serious. But we went ahead and did the saline-enhanced MRI to be sure."
    It's usually a shock to us too, Doc Fancy. Especially when the first diagnosis is correct.

What the hell, let's spring for the super-duper saline enhanced MRI, the guy has already soaked us for 16 Mil; what's another grand? Plus, that super-duper saline enhanced MRI found Paulie's shredded shoulder and look how good that turned out!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?