Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How About This Guy For A Closer Come 2007?

How About This Guy For A Closer Come 2007?

Soon to be former Dodger Eric Gagne?

Yeah his season was cut short by a herniated disc and injuries wrecked his 2005 season. If anything he would probably be signed to a base deal with alot of incentives added. But if he is healthy, he brings such nasty stuff to the plate that hasn't been seen here in Cincy since Rob Dibble was on the mound.

So, should Krivsky take a gamble on Gagne considering the lack of closers on the free agent market this offseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4181
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Re: How About This Guy For A Closer Come 2007?

Didn't we try that with Mark Wohlers some time back? I don't remember that being incredibly effective.
    No one expects the butterfly

No. It's rediculous to think that the Reds would even have interest in a pitcher that could cost them $5M+/yr with incentives and is not guaranteed to be able to throw the ball better than I do.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd like to see someone that is less of a gamble. Frankly, I have grown tired of taking gambles on players.

No more reclamation projects for this team.It would be nice for once to get healthy players and not ''what if's''.

I'd give him $2 million guaranteed... $3 million for ERA under 3.25 + 60 games or 75 IP, another $2 million if 40+ saves.... and a team option for $5 million or something

I'm very suspicious of Gagne. One minute the guy is throwing 100 mph and nobody can touch him, then steroid testing start and he COMPLETELY falls apart. I'm not trying to accuse him of anything, I'm just saying that's a red flag that you have to at least somewhat take into account. It's sad, but it's the way business has to be done today.

Gagne, meet fork. You're done.

Recovering Cubs Fan

While they're at it, they should go ahead and sign Kerry Wood, too. Actually, I saw where Rotoworld predicted the Reds sign Joe Borowski (and Craig Counsell for SS). Fortunately, they're always wrong. I don't know, I have a feeling some trades will happen.

Is K-Rod coming up for free agency anytime soon?

Brandon Donnelly would be an improvement over anyone the Reds have

How bout as a starter?
    Go Gators!

Kerry Wood actually might find new life as a closer. If he was willing to sign an incentive based contract and try that new role, I'd give him a shot.

Kerry Wood is the one reclamation project I'd like to see the Reds go all-out to acquire.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Recovering Cubs Fan

I don't know, I have a feeling Wood won't want to go to a team whose doctor he thinks screwed up his last surgery. That's the impression I get, anyway -- when he had trouble coming back and got second opinions, it raised a few eyebrows in Chicago that he didn't consult Kremchek.

Turn Off Ads?