Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Time To Update the FAQ

It's Time To Update the FAQ

Hi everyone.

It's become apparent that the FAQ needs some updating. I think it's been at least two years since this was last done and its age is beginning to show.

What I ask of everyone is this:

1) Check out the FAQ in its current form. The link to FAQ is located in the menu-bar at the top of the screen.

Or, just go here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/faq.php

2) Post in this thread any ideas for additional content that does not currently exist or does exist but needs updated.

All suggestions are welcome and will probably find their way into the FAQ one way or another. The FAQ is the primary resource to find answers about Redszone and we want to make it as comprehensive as we can.

Thanks in advance.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's Time To Update the FAQ

Have our 24-hour limitations on rep been disbanded? I feel like I've been giving it out like candy, it's terrific.

edit: Maybe not...looks like I've only done it twice in the last day. I'm delusional.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Two things - how about an FAQ that is specifically something like "What do all those letters mean" (some is mentioned under the Sabermetric thread, but not an explanation all the EIEIO letters mentioned in posts).

Also, the thread for the minor league affiliates should be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Two things - how about an FAQ that is specifically something like "What do all those letters mean" (some is mentioned under the Sabermetric thread, but not an explanation all the EIEIO letters mentioned in posts).

Also, the thread for the minor league affiliates should be updated.
    Specifically with the "alphabet soup", it would be helpful to me, as someone uniniated to them, to know specifcally what they mean and also what the norms are - what's an average pitcher's WHIP or the average player's whatever. That would help in the evaluations thrown about in conversations.

With all the new folks we have here, certainly there are questions you have that aren't addressed in the FAQ.

What are the perks that posters with ORG access get?
    What's the deal with this whole reputation points thing?
    How do I choose an avatar?
    Why can't I get an avatar?
    Why does Puffy only wear pink shirts?
    Where have all the cowboys gone?
    What is this SABR thing and why do people keep throwing numbers around?
    Where are the good hangouts around the stadium?
    Is REDREAD really John Allen?
    Why is chat the place to be during games?
    Why did RFS wear leg-warmers in the 1800's?
    Why does he still wear them?

I know there are questions out there that need answered. The mods and admins aren't doing this for our sake - we already know how this place works.

Please contribute and help make this a useful resource.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-14-2006 at 04:41 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It might be worth something to have somewhat of a primer on "posting ettiquite" if you will. Have it be a "must read" sort of thing for the folks new to RZ. The meat of it would be practical do's and don't of good posting habits here on RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    It might be worth something to have somewhat of a primer on "posting ettiquite" if you will. Have it be a "must read" sort of thing for the folks new to RZ. The meat of it would be practical do's and don't of good posting habits here on RZ.
    Good luck getting RZers to agree to those.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Where have all the cowboys gone?
    I've been on this forum for a year now, and on this earth for 28, and neither forum nor earth has provided me with a suitable answer to this yet.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I know there are questions out there that need answered. The mods and admins aren't doing this for our sake - we already know how this place works.

Please contribute and help make this a useful resource.
    Paintmered, I'm willing to update the minor league info, but because the link is archived, I can't do that.

Paint,

Maybe a FAQ having to do with hot button topics would be worthwhile.

Back during the "everbody take a deep breath" thread Boss Hog put up, the idea was floated of having topics that were generally considered "beat to death" as seperate stickies in the archives.

I don't support shelving various topics just because some here are bored with them, HOWEVER, I do understand that having to deal with the same topic for the 1,000th time can get a bit tedious.

So maybe an FAQ along the lines of, "why is Dunn such a hot button topic" with a short, REASONSED explination of the pro and anti Dunn sides of the argument. Maybe the same thing for the trade and other common topics.

This might help a new person on the board to understand the history behind various debates and help guide them a bit before they come guns a blazing.

I think the key to this would be having both sides of those "hot button" topics equally represented.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If the FAQ threads could be put into a special forum which allowed editing of old posts, I'd be willing to update the original posts with the new info.

We could also use those same threads to collect updates or comments about any outdated info.

Nobody asked me, but I happen to think this is a better project for the hot-stove season. It's hard to drum up interest in the big picture when there are current events to discuss.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 09-15-2006 at 07:29 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Good luck getting RZers to agree to those.
    Can you imagine the thread debating what the posting ettiquette rules would be?

I mean, on any group, there's always one extreme that expects you to spend 6 hours doing a search of past posts before posting, just to make sure you don't waste their time. That's just one example.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Can you imagine the thread debating what the posting ettiquette rules would be?
    Already you'd have a serrious contender for "Redszoniest" thread of the century.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    How do I choose an avatar?
    Why can't I get an avatar?
    What the _____ is paint's avatar?

Turn Off Ads?