Lohse Looked Like Frank Pastore tonight

the aging Pastore:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lohse Looked Like Frank Pastore tonight

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    the aging Pastore:
    Yeah he wasn't pretty tonight.

We need to be careful evaluating a guy the first time around the league. Tonight was the first time he had pitched against a team the second time. I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.

Frank had neck problems, late in his career, from watching all those shots flying into the outfield.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    . I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.
    With his ERA zooming after last night, Lohse just got a lot cheaper for the 2007 REDS.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since he got zero run support, it was an opportune time to find out his shortcomings. It's not like he cost the Reds this game.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    With his ERA zooming after last night, Lohse just got a lot cheaper for the 2007 REDS.
    I thought this exact same thing just now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Yeah he wasn't pretty tonight.
    and yet Jerry sent him back out for the 3rd, I figured it was obvious to everyone by that point that he didn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Frank had neck problems, late in his career, from watching all those shots flying into the outfield.
    Frank in the offseason was an air-traffic controller.

That was a joke, ok?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

his fastball was staying flat and he didnt have much dip in his slider.. he has pitched better than this and noway does he remind me of Pastore....just a bad outing at the wrong time.. i still feel he is a Red in 2007 as #4 starter as the Reds get a better pitcher in the off season for the rotation.. I am hoping Bedard is their target!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We need to be careful evaluating a guy the first time around the league. Tonight was the first time he had pitched against a team the second time. I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.

I'm not sure lowballing him is an option. Isn't Boras his agent? I believe that is true. He made just shy of 4 million this year. The average arbitration raise (at least a few years ago) was 900k. I think we have to expect to probably give him a raise between 500-900k, just because of his seniority if we want to bring him back.

I bet Boras will drive a hard deal, even though Lohse has had a dissappointing season (when the Twins stats are included). As scarce as pitching is, Lohse might get more if he's a nontendered free agent than he would from arb, therefore I don't see Boras cutting the Reds any kind of deal.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm not sure lowballing him is an option. Isn't Boras his agent? I believe that is true. He made just shy of 4 million this year. The average arbitration raise (at least a few years ago) was 900k. I think we have to expect to probably give him a raise between 500-900k, just because of his seniority if we want to bring him back.

I bet Boras will drive a hard deal, even though Lohse has had a dissappointing season (when the Twins stats are included). As scarce as pitching is, Lohse might get more if he's a nontendered free agent than he would from arb, therefore I don't see Boras cutting the Reds any kind of deal.
    I would try to sign him to about $3.3 to $3.5 Guaranteed with incentives to get him to $5.5 or $6. He won't make $5.5 to $6 on the market and if he hits the incentives he'll be worth it. If he doesn't agree to that by the Arb deadline then non-tender and find some one else to give the same deal to.

I'll be upset if the Reds bring him back for anything more than middle reliever dollars.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'll be upset if the Reds bring him back for anything more than middle reliever dollars.
    I'm kind of on that page, but they can't really cut him to less than 80% of this year's pay can they? I don't know how this rule applies exactly.

Lohse or Milton

1. Lohse or Milton , not both.

Harang
    Arroyo
    ???
    Lohse or Milton
    EZ or Bailey

Find a guy ( via trade or free agency ) that can pitch 220 innings with an ERA under 4, then the Reds will have a solid rotation

2. comapre that to:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Milton
    EZ or Bailey

A Reds team with this rotation better be a LOT better offensively

- Will

Turn Off Ads?