Well, I guess I'll have to take it out of my favorites...:thumbdown

MOJO changing its tune
BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
"Jammin’ oldies” WMOJ-FM will change its tune and move up the radio dial next Thursday to new frequency, 100.3 FM.

Radio One, operators of WIZF-FM (WIZ 101.1) and WDBZ-AM (BUZZ 1230), paid $5 million cash today for the call letters and format to use on the new 100.3 FM station, says Lisa Thal, WIZF-FM vice president and general manager.

“We basically bought our competition,” she says.

Radio One, the nation’s seventh-largest radio company and largest radio company primarily targeting African-Americans, earlier this year spent $18 million to buy WIFE-FM (100.3) in Connersville, Ind., and move it to Cincinnati.

Thal was planning to launch a rival urban adult contemporary station on 100.3, when talks began two weeks ago with Susquehanna Radio, owners of WMOJ-FM, WRRM-FM (WARM98) and WYGY-FM (STAR 96.5).

Listeners for the past 7-1/2 years will hear a different MOJO next week, in an effort to reach African-American women as a “rhythm and blues and classic soul” station.

Luther Vandross, Lionel Richie, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton and Alicia Keys will replace the heavy emphasis now on Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Bee Gees, Thal says.

“It will be decidedly more African-American than what you heard on 94.9,” says John Dickey, programmer for Cumulus Broadcasting, which is buying Susquehanna.

The deal allows Radio One to interview MOJO’s current full-time and part-time DJs, Dickey says.

Keith Mitchell and Laura Powell will lose their MOJO morning show – and possibly jobs – in the switch.

Radio One has other plans for a morning show, which Dickey says will be the syndicated Tom Joyner show moving from the BUZZ.

Some radio observers here expect Cumulus to move the country STAR 96.5 to 94.9, which has a stronger signal in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

“That certainly stands to reason, but I can’t comment now,” Dickey says. “We’ve got a great plan that will be revealed early next week.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/309140033