Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is set for 2007?

What is set for 2007?

We all recognize there are a lot of holes to plug next year. Heck, sometimes we even argue over the number of holes to fill!

What areas/skills do you think the Reds are reasonably secure with in 2007?

Please don't think you are clever by responding "none" unless you have some reasoning to back your comments up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is set for 2007?

Juan Castro and that French fellow

Solid areas:

2/5 of the rotation - Harang and Arroyo
    3B - EE
    2B/SS - wherever Phillips plays
    LF - if Dunn stays

I guess you could say the Reds are covered at 1B and Catcher because they have Hat and three catchers but I'm not sure that's "solid". I guess you could label wherever Junior is penciled in as somewhat covered/solid. Just about everywhere else is in need of improvement.

Brand new uniforms!

I don't even want to think about how this team will be constructed next year. Wayne's moves since May have been confusing and really confounding, but here's where I think we're at:

1B - Hatteberg. Krivsky is apparently convinced that Hatteberg can handle another whole season at first. We'll see.

2B - SS - Phillips will man one of those two positions, but don't be surprised if Phillips goes to short and someone else mans second. Who, I do not know (Maybe Castro?). Aurilia will leave for much greener pastures.

3B - Edwin E is the man.

OF - Here is where it gets to be fun. I believe that Krivsky will try to move both Dunn and Griffey this off-season. If he can get pitching for Dunn, he's gone. If he can get anyone to take his contract, Griffey is gone. One of the two will not be with us next year, probably Dunn. I also think Freel will shopped. What does that leave us with? Either Dunn or Griffey and two new guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denorfia and someone he trades for to be the other two. It was nice seeing all those homers because when Krivsky gets through, we will be much less of a power team.

C - Moving Larue will be a top priority, so Javier and Ross will be the catchers. I fear Ross will return to his former self, leaving us Javier and a ghost of Christmas past.

SP - Only Arroyo and Harang are set. He'll most likely keep Lohse around. Claussen, EZ, and others will be considered, but Krivisy will be looking for starting pitching over the winter and he'd trade Mays (Willie, not Joe) in his prime for that. I figure the results will be mixed.

RP - Not many changes here except I don't imagine he'll offer a contract to Weathers.

So what we'll end up with IMHO:

1B - Hatteberg
    2B - Castro
    SS - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    LF - New Guy
    CF - Griffey
    RF - Denorfia
    C - Ross/Valentin

I count generously about 67-70 less round trippers in that lineup and less speed (I think Freel and Denorfia even out). We'd better hope Krivsky finds pitching because we'll need it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I don't think (atleast I hope to the highest of heavens) that Castro will be a starter. I would like to see us deal or try to sign a 2B or SS. Mark DeRosa is an interesting guy, a lot like Aurilia hitting wise with a little less pop, but more doubles (but who know at our park). I don't know about his fielding though. I would like a good fielding middle IF, and DeRosa played some OF this year and lately (= no range?).

I would also like to see us make a run at Soriano despite the ginormous price tag. He would have 60 HR's here....atleast. He played in a huge hole in the Earth and hit about 50 this year, unreal. I would deal with his awful D for his bat.

My sticks:

Ross/JV
    Hatte then Votto around May 25
    2B ?
    SS- BP
    3B - EdE
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Freel
    RF - Griffey....I really think this will happen. I really do! I hope it does, I think WK is thinking it for sure, he seems to understand that Jr. isn't the same CF'er, and that having a good OF defense is crucial, especially with el donkey in LF

Arroyo
    Harang
    Milton (face it, he aint leaving)
    El Lizard (hope and think he'll be back)
    Homer (I don't think he'll resist him after a great spring)

Pen:
    Coffey
    Bray
    Majew
    Cormy eh?
    Schoenwise (agent issues might now bring him back, Boras? i think)
    Weathers

Weathers: Did people miss how dominant he was this year...that is right, that is what I said. Look at his numbers! Since the break he has a 1.64 ERA in 29 appearance. 33 ip, 15 h, 7 runs, 6 earned.

ERA by month:
    3.75 - April
    2.77 - May
    10.80 - June (yikes!) but....
    2.77 - July
    1.84 - August (only gave up a run in 1 appearance in 14 games!)
    0.82 - Sept

He's only given up 1 ER in his last 20 2/3 innings or 18 games. This guy has been SOLID.

Personally, besides Encarnacion at 3B, Arroyo at the 2nd SP, and Harang at the 1st SP I would say that those are the only true 'legit' locks.

I wouldn't even put Phillips in there, because I truly think that if the right GM dangled the right prospect or SP out there in front of Wayne for Phillips he would bite. I bet he would the same for most of the others as well, except of course for the three mentioned above.

Personally, I love Dunn, but am wondering if now is the right time to move him to ANA and Jr to AL. Going to make 2007 painful if we do, but Bruce should be ready 2008 along with Votto and Bailey and maybe Cueto, Denorfia and Freel can man OF positions for now. If we were to take that approach and pick up Santana and maybe Woods for Dunn, I think we can set ourselves up with a nice longterm future.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Solid areas:

2/5 of the rotation - Harang and Arroyo
    3B - EE
    2B/SS - wherever Phillips plays
    LF - if Dunn stays
    I agree with BRM here, but would love to give Denorfia a chance to play CF every day. I've been impressed with his bat in this Marlins series. He has his OPS up to .720 and I believe if we put him there and left him, he would OPS about .800 or so and give us plus defense.

For the Reds to win consistently at GABP, we need pitchers who throw a lot of ground balls. Therefore, we need to make sure our middle D is solid, then look at power on the corners, so we can take advantage of the ballpark as well. That's why I don't like Hatte so much at 1B every day. Haven't you noticed that, even at GABP, Hatte's HRs seem to barely clear the fence. He has 3 HRs away from home this year. Of course, it is great (some might say gravy) if those middle defenders also have some pop in their bats. That why Phillips and Ross are so valuable (I like Valentin and Larue as well).

For that 3/5 of the unsettled rotation, I would love to see some trades or free agent arms brought in. I looked at the AL pitchers who throw a lot of ground balls, have a WHIP of below 1.40, and a salary of < $4.5M this year. I would be ecstatic if we could get 2 or 3 guys off of this list. (Some of you who keep up with free agency, years of service, etc. can probably tell me why we can't get any of them.)

Jake Westbrook (CLE)
    Erik Bedard (BAL)
    Nate Robertson (DET) (may cost Dunn)
    Danny Haren (OAK)
    Vicente Padilla (TEX)
    Gil Meche (SEA) -- seen his name here before
    Rodrigo Lopez (BAL)
    John Lackey (LAA)
    Ervin Santana (LAA)
    Ted Lilly (TOR)
    Jarrod Washburn (SEA)

I think most of them also have a decent K/9 rate. (Isn't it funny that it is important to have pitchers who miss bats, but if an offensive guy strikes out a lot, it isn't a considered a problem? Please, I'm not trying to turn this into a Dunn-bashing thread. There are other threads to do this.)

Well, it looks like the manager and coaching staff are all but a certaintity (much to my chagrin).

But hey, I guess that provides stability in the offseason.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Personally, besides Encarnacion at 3B, Arroyo at the 2nd SP, and Harang at the 1st SP I would say that those are the only true 'legit' locks.

I wouldn't even put Phillips in there, because I truly think that if the right GM dangled the right prospect or SP out there in front of Wayne for Phillips he would bite. I bet he would the same for most of the others as well, except of course for the three mentioned above.
    No way on Phillips, he's a bargain and Wayne stole him, he will play either short or second next year. Set for 07 IMO is
    HATTE- 1B
    FREEL/RA/FA- 2B
    PHILLIPS/CASTRO-SS
    EE- 3B
    JR/FA- CF
    DUNN/JR/FA- LF KEEP JR IN CENTER IF WE CAN SIGN A TOP LF
    FREEL/DENO- RF
    ROSS/VAL- C
    HARANG-1SP
    ARROYO-2SPA
    FA-2SPB NUMBER 2 GUY AND CASH FOR DUNN AND MILTON?
    HOMER-4SP AROUND MAY 10TH, UNTIL MAY 10TH LOHSE
    BELISLE/LOHSE-5SP BELISLE TO CLOSER IN MAY IF HE TAKES CARE OF HIS WALKS PROBLEM?
    BULLPEN- COFF, BRAY, MAJ, SHOEN, WEATHERS, STANDRIDGE, CORMIER,

BENCH-JUAN GONZALEZ, HOLLANDSWORTH, BALDELLI IF YOU CAN TRADE FOR HIM?

Aurilia has already stated a few times he wants to remain a red.
    Dunn will be here.

2/5 of the roto Harang/Arroyo..isnt harang up for arby? Watch out

and id like to think that Claussen will be back.. along with Rameriz?? not sure i havent really followed alot of the reds roster actions since football started.. ive been keying on the bengals and just cheering the Reds and watching the playoff race.

Phillips edwin freel deno all return
    i feel deno is here to stay now.. he wont go back to AAA. He'll be our RF next season im guessing maybe even CF i dunno..

Phillips to SS
    Edwin at 3B
    Hatte @ 1B
    Aurilia @ 2B
    Ross/Larue @ C
    Jr CF/LF(even his dad wants him to do the LF move)
    Dunn in LF Look for some 1B next season from him especially if Aurilia goes to 2B for good.. who knows.. Freel will also factor in anywhere once again prolly in RF or CF with Deno on the bench
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

I seriously think JR. will move to left, Freel will stay in right, Krivsky will shop Dunn for pitching, we'll take a shot at signing Torrie Hunter to roam center field for the next few seasons... Phillips will play SS, Rich 2nd, Hatte/Votto 1st Edwin @ 3rd and the 3 headed monster @ catcher unless a trade goes down....

Turn Off Ads?