Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

Re: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Isn't next year Jr's last year. I think there's a buyout for 2008.
    We aren't going to be winning anything next year anyhow. There's no point in paying any part of Jr's salary if he's not on the team.

His OBP took a hit this year, but he's still very important to what's left of this offense.

Dunn certainly has his weaknesses. I'd love for him to learn to hit the ball to the opposite field in batting practice. At the same time, the Reds have to be careful. After giving away Kearns and Lopez for almost nothing, they have to get a real good return for Dunn.

Griffey's contract runs through 2008. There is a 4.0M buyout for his contract in 2009 + the millions and millions in deferred money that has accumulated over the life of his contract.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    RF is actually solid if Freel is there.

I agreed with you until this point. RF is a major weakness. Freel disappeared in August and Sept. Now that he's a full time player, teams are taking the time to scout him. They've obviously found a weakness in him, because his offense has totally disappeared. Freel at leadoff in Sept and Aug really dragged this team down. A couple good catches does not make up for that.

At bare minimum, Wayne needs to pick up an OF to share RF with Freel.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    Young who?
    He was an OF the White Sox were rumored to be willing to trade for Jr last year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

At bare minimum, Wayne needs to pick up an OF to share RF with Freel.
    I've noticed that people aren't too impressed with "Chuck" Norris Hopper.

IIRC, He hit pretty well in AAA and has some speed.

(I'll fully admit I'm being 100% lazy here for not doing my own research) What the line on him? Is their a flaw about him or some short comming that is causing most to seem ho-hum about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I've noticed that people aren't too impressed with "Chuck" Norris Hopper.

IIRC, He hit pretty well in AAA and has some speed.
    no walks, no power(none whatsoever). Completely worthless an offensive player. To have any value as an OF he would have to hit al least .350(not).

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    no walks, no power(none whatsoever). Completely worthless an offensive player. To have any value as an OF he would have to hit al least .350(not).
    He's Juan Pierre without the steals.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Griffey's contract runs through 2008. There is a 4.0M buyout for his contract in 2009 + the millions and millions in deferred money that has accumulated over the life of his contract.
    Allen has assured us many times that the Reds have been setting aside that deferred money. So as long as Allen isn't lying, we should be off the hook after the contract is up..

thanks though, I was wrong about the length of the contract.

Allen has assured us many times that the Reds have been setting aside that deferred money. So as long as Allen isn't lying, we should be off the hook after the contract is up..

thanks though, I was wrong about the length of the contract.
    supposedly an annutity is funded to pay Jr's deferred money.

However, for the next two years expect more injuries and decreasing production while playing CF.

I thought Wise did a good job in CF yesterday. They were some tough catches, as were the couple he didn't quite hang on to... but he was damned close even on those.

I think you guys are being awfully hard on the minor leaguers. You're writing them off before they've even been given a half-way decent chance.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Any minor league numbers to go with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Any minor league numbers to go with this?
    you can't find any?

He has 3 HRs(.329 SLG) and ~250BBs in over 3000 minor league ABs. He is an offensive black hole. If he played SS we would be comparing him to Clayton and Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I think you guys are being awfully hard on the minor leaguers. You're writing them off before they've even been given a half-way decent chance.
    Wise has had a number of chances at the MLB level ... and has failed miserably. A barely over 600 OPS in over 300 MLB ABs and at 28 is unlikely to improve much.

Wise has had a number of chances at the MLB level ... and has failed miserably. A barely over 600 OPS in over 300 MLB ABs and at 28 is unlikely to improve much.

I'm talking a decent amount of consistent playing time at the MLB level... not hit or miss starts and being double-switched into games or pinch hitting. There are a lot of MLBers who would not have succeeded under those circumstances. They need to be given a solid chance.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I'm talking a decent amount of consistent playing time at the MLB level.
    That .700 OPS at the minor league level says he doesn't deserve consistent PT at the major league level.

There is nothing in his resume to suggest he would even be replacement level.

you can't find any?
    Geez...sorry I asked.

Turn Off Ads?