Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

The list of Reds players

who shouldn't play 162 games includes just about everyone except maybe Dunn & EE.

The trade of Kearns/Lopez hurt our depth but it has really shown the last few weeks as guys have just worn down.

This is particularly true for the speed guys and the old guys.

We need a better bench for 2007.

- Will

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

I'm not really in the trade Dunn camp as I have stated earlier. Here is what it would take to overwhelm me into trading Dunn.

Dunn to LA to replace Nomar (Free Agent) at 1B (Dodgers persuade $$$$ Dunn to move). Reds get Andre Ethier, Chad Billingsly, Matt Kemp and Scott Elbert. Ethier plays CF, Kemp is the 4th OF, Freel moves back to Supersub/part time 2B, Billingsly goes in as #3 starter. Money is used for a big bat to replace Dunn in LF or RF with Griffey in the other spot.

The Dodgers would never do that and that is why Dunn stays. It would take that kind of haul to make it worth trading him IMO.

The thing is, Dunn will never be an elite hitter. Yes, he can drive in runs, but he'll never be elite a la a Pujols or a Carlos Lee. You have to be able to hit for a better average that Dunn does and you have to drop the strikeouts down some. I can't see Dunn ever doing that, thus, making him expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    and you have to drop the strikeouts down some.
    like that Ryan Howard guy.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

The thing is, Dunn will never be an elite hitter. Yes, he can drive in runs, but he'll never be elite a la a Pujols or a Carlos Lee. You have to be able to hit for a better average that Dunn does and you have to drop the strikeouts down some. I can't see Dunn ever doing that, thus, making him expendable.
    Carlos Lee is not an elite player. Just look at his career stats. He's good and he's having a fine season but to put him in the same sentence with Pujols is wrong.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

How do you know he'll never do that? Are you psychic? I didn't think so... you're just guessing.

He's expendable because he's not elite, even though he's in the top 5 or top 10 in several categories. I don't understand your logic at all.

Believe me, there are a whole lot of teams that would love to take this non-elite, SO-prone, low-BA player off the Reds hands.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Carlos Lee is not an elite player. Just look at his career stats. He's good and he's having a fine season but to put him in the same sentence with Pujols is wrong.
    Agreed 100%. Carlos is not that special of a player, and he is getting older. Lee's career-high in RBIs was 114; he has only broken 100 twice (three including this year). Dunn has already done it 3 times in a much shorter career (will be 4 after this year). Lee has never hit 40 HRs. Dunn has done it 3 consecutive years. This is Lee's career year at 30 yrs old. Dunn is having a somewhat off-year and is still clearly the better player save for BA. And Dunn is 4 years younger. And draws more walks... and scores more... and...

The only advantage Lee has is SO and AVG. Even with those he is far from elite. IMO, Dunn is pretty elite.

I love the conveniently timed, media created, Carlos Lee as "elite" player nonsense just as he's hitting free agency. Don't fall for it. I wouldn't trade him for Scott Podsednik, but, for Adam Dunn? In a heartbeat.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    How do you know he'll never do that? Are you psychic? I didn't think so... you're just guessing.

He's expendable because he's not elite, even though he's in the top 5 or top 10 in several categories. I don't understand your logic at all.

Believe me, there are a whole lot of teams that would love to take this non-elite, SO-prone, low-BA player off the Reds hands.

Ever heard the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks?" That's Adam Dunn. If it changes, I will gladly eat my words.

Dunn cannot hit with runners in scoring position. Out of the top 25 home run hitters in the major league, Dunn ranks 10. Want to take a stab where he ranks for RBI's out of that 25? 21 out of 25. That's nothing special. If you want to go league wide without Home Runs, he ranks 38! 38! That's not elite.

What about Strikeouts? Leads the league. The Howard argument is weak (referring to another poster) considering he's had 14 more at bats than Dunn has and his batting average is 65 points higher. The K's are a little more excusable if you're collecting hits.

Let's look at batting average and where Dunn ranks. I'm guessing Drew Stubbs right now could be hitting better if he were in the majors.

Slugging percentage? Not in the top 100.

Defense? We won't even touch that subject.

Is Dunn a clubhouse leader? Does he have a great attitude on the field? Does he put in 100% everyday?

On the plus side, Dunn does a great job at drawing walks. He is tied for 3rd in the league. He's also high on the list for games played and has a pretty good OBP.

So I ask you, please. What are all these categories that Dunn is top 5 or top 10 in?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Adam Dunn. He can drive the ball and he's come up big a few times this year. He's probably one of the finest Reds offensive product's in many years. My point is that he's overvalued (by some here). Through free agency, you can find a replacement for him. It won't be the same numbers and I'm sure it will be a downgrade, but you could find a free agent player that will likely have better numbers in every single category except for HR's, RBI's & walks (for less money). If he can land a top notch pitching prospect (which Dunn could fetch) while saving money, it seems like a no brainer to me. You can replace offense (to some degree) but there is NO subsitute for good pitching.

Look at the Reds this century so far and this becomes further validated...
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 09-20-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Where the hell will our run support come from if we even trade Griff or Dunn?

Slugging percentage? Not in the top 100.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but Dunn is ranked 21st in the NL and 38th in the majors in SLG.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Where the hell will our run support come from if we even trade Griff or Dunn?
    Where the hell is our run support right now, when we need it? Face it, Griffey/ Dunn as an offensive core is a losing combination and not worth the money.

[QUOTE=Ltlabner;1160789]I've noticed that people aren't too impressed with "Chuck" Norris Hopper.

LOL!Good one

Now we are talking, my kind of thread. Where do you think Dunn learned all of his tricks? Lazy outfielder, don't need to take extra batting practice, don't care about who the opposing pitcher is, etc....

Uh, Junior his buddy is where he learned all of this. Junior since 2003 has only played in 8 games in the month of September/October. What does this tell you? Well, we are horrible, but Junior packs his bags and goes home early and takes his cash with him.

Do you remember what Dunn and Junior did during the All-Star Break? Anyone? Vern? Uh, I believe it was a trip to the Bahamas, but who needs to work on their game, right, or were they working on their golf game.

http://flashwarner.com/2006/06/griff...adam_dunn.html

Do these guys really love baseball anymore? I mean, I don't really blame Junior all that much as I blame the Reds Front Office for bringing him here when they knew he was on the down side. Yea, he had injuries, but that comes with age and playing CF his whole career. Should you not expect this in this game?

All I have to say is, we will get our real Reds back in 2009!

All Star BREAK = BREAK! Get it? The players that don't get to play get to take a break. 162 games is a grind... you take a break any time you can. You get every weekend off from your job (I don't know, maybe you do work an occasional weekend... no big deal, so did I); that's a long time to go with only a day or two off each month... they don't get the holidays either. Do you work on your days off?

Griffey already has the reputation of showing up at the ballpark several hours early before EVERY SINGLE GAME! So don't give me that. And I suppose the extensive, exhaustive rehab that he's gone through on multiple occasions is the sign of a lazy player and one that doesn't care about baseball. He's nothing but a good example.

People that spew this kind of stuff make me sick.... you need to check this stuff out before flouting your lack of knowledge.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?