Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

Re: Time to unload Griffey and Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    Now we are talking, my kind of thread. Where do you think Dunn learned all of his tricks? Lazy outfielder, don't need to take extra batting practice, don't care about who the opposing pitcher is, etc....

Uh, Junior his buddy is where he learned all of this. Junior since 2003 has only played in 8 games in the month of September/October. What does this tell you? Well, we are horrible, but Junior packs his bags and goes home early and takes his cash with him.

Do you remember what Dunn and Junior did during the All-Star Break? Anyone? Vern? Uh, I believe it was a trip to the Bahamas, but who needs to work on their game, right, or were they working on their golf game.

http://flashwarner.com/2006/06/griff...adam_dunn.html

Do these guys really love baseball anymore? I mean, I don't really blame Junior all that much as I blame the Reds Front Office for bringing him here when they knew he was on the down side. Yea, he had injuries, but that comes with age and playing CF his whole career. Should you not expect this in this game?

All I have to say is, we will get our real Reds back in 2009!

That's some first rate commentary.
    Last edited by pedro; 09-22-2006 at 10:47 PM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but Dunn is ranked 21st in the NL and 38th in the majors in SLG.
    You're correct as I made a mistake. I was not factoring in players who had lower numbers of at-bats.

I still stand by all my other points (which I think are more important than this one).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    All Star BREAK = BREAK! Get it? The players that don't get to play get to take a break. 162 games is a grind... you take a break any time you can. You get every weekend off from your job (I don't know, maybe you do work an occasional weekend... no big deal, so did I); that's a long time to go with only a day or two off each month... they don't get the holidays either. Do you work on your days off?

Griffey already has the reputation of showing up at the ballpark several hours early before EVERY SINGLE GAME! So don't give me that. And I suppose the extensive, exhaustive rehab that he's gone through on multiple occasions is the sign of a lazy player and one that doesn't care about baseball. He's nothing but a good example.

People that spew this kind of stuff make me sick.... you need to check this stuff out before flouting your lack of knowledge.
    You seem to forget how long of a FRICKIN BREAK these players get in the off season, well, the Reds starts immediately after the first week of October and ole bright one, can you tell us all how long of a FRICKIN BREAK they get?

Um, is it not like almost 6 FRICKIN MONTHS? Oh, I am sure you have a blind eye to these months. How many JOBS do you know get half of the year off? Tell us all! What should make you sick is watching Junior and Dunn play? It is a comical routine! What is a problem with fans like you is you will never see the light. You only see what you want to see. Add up all the MINUTES these players actually play. Add them up! Tell us how many minutes they work at their JOB. Does it add up to 8 hours a day?

Keep sticking up for the Junior one, and it will be like the same with you and the others on here. At one time you were sticking up for boy wonder LaRue and now everyone wants him shipped and gone. LOL Many said he was worthless along time ago, but once again fans like you stick up for these types of players.

My lack of knowledge? LOL Good One! What kind of knowledge do you have Nostradamus?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That's some first rate commentary.
    The Comedy routine is on the field, you have witnessed it for years. Enjoy....

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    You seem to forget how long of a FRICKIN BREAK these players get in the off season, well, the Reds starts immediately after the first week of October and ole bright one, can you tell us all how long of a FRICKIN BREAK they get?

Um, is it not like almost 6 FRICKIN MONTHS? Oh, I am sure you have a blind eye to these months. How many JOBS do you know get half of the year off? Tell us all! What should make you sick is watching Junior and Dunn play? It is a comical routine! What is a problem with fans like you is you will never see the light. You only see what you want to see. Add up all the MINUTES these players actually play. Add them up! Tell us how many minutes they work at their JOB. Does it add up to 8 hours a day?

Keep sticking up for the Junior one, and it will be like the same with you and the others on here. At one time you were sticking up for boy wonder LaRue and now everyone wants him shipped and gone. LOL Many said he was worthless along time ago, but once again fans like you stick up for these types of players.

My lack of knowledge? LOL Good One! What kind of knowledge do you have Nostradamus?
    Ole bright one? Nostradamus? Fans like me? I don't appreciate any of that crap. But yes, I can tell you how much of a FRICKIN' BREAK they get! So could you if you took the time to figure it out. So try to stick with me here while I explain it to you.

A calendar year typically has 52/53 weekends... 104/106 days which translates to about 3.5 months; add another 10-12 holidays that most of America's work force gets off in a year and a MINIMUM of 2 weeks' vacation (tons of people get even more), and the ante is upped to a typical American receiving roughly 4.5 months off during the year (5 if they get 4 weeks' vacation), the difference being they just do not get it off consecutively.

The "break" after the season is over has NOTHING to do with needing a 3-day midseason break. Most players arrive at spring training in mid February... pitchers and catchers must arrive then but many others report early. They play and/or practice daily (except for one or two days each month) for 7.5 months! Make it 8.5 if they get to the postseason. That does NOT add up to "6 FRICKIN' months" off! So, if they don't make it to the offseason, they get about 4.5 to 5 months off (hack off one more month if they make it to the postseason)... no more time off than the typical American worker, less if they get to the postseason.

Believe it or not, just because they make a lot of money it does not automatically turn them into robots. They are human beings; when a year's work schedule is condensed into 7.5/8.5 months, they are bound to get tired and perhaps a little burned out on occasion. That three-day break is well deserved. The season is a grind, even when they are winning.

In addition, just because they're not playing the game 8 hours per day does not mean they aren't at the park working on their game 8 hours per day. IIRC, they are required to arrive by 3 pm for a 7 pm game (4 hours prior to night games/3 hours prior to day games). I also doubt they're out of the clubhouse earlier than an hour after the game... probably longer. So yes, it does add up to about 8 hours a day... longer if they get to the park early (before 3) or the game goes into extra innings.

BTW, I'm not one of the Redszoners who wants LaRue gone. You will NEVER find that written by me on this board.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

my head hurts from this thread...seriously
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Nice post TB.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Ole bright one? Nostradamus? Fans like me? I don't appreciate any of that crap. But yes, I can tell you how much of a FRICKIN' BREAK they get! So could you if you took the time to figure it out. So try to stick with me here while I explain it to you.

A calendar year typically has 52/53 weekends... 104/106 days which translates to about 3.5 months; add another 10-12 holidays that most of America's work force gets off in a year and a MINIMUM of 2 weeks' vacation (tons of people get even more), and the ante is upped to a typical American receiving roughly 4.5 months off during the year (5 if they get 4 weeks' vacation), the difference being they just do not get it off consecutively.

The "break" after the season is over has NOTHING to do with needing a 3-day midseason break. Most players arrive at spring training in mid February... pitchers and catchers must arrive then but many others report early. They play and/or practice daily (except for one or two days each month) for 7.5 months! Make it 8.5 if they get to the postseason. That does NOT add up to "6 FRICKIN' months" off! So, if they don't make it to the offseason, they get about 4.5 to 5 months off (hack off one more month if they make it to the postseason)... no more time off than the typical American worker, less if they get to the postseason.

Believe it or not, just because they make a lot of money it does not automatically turn them into robots. They are human beings; when a year's work schedule is condensed into 7.5/8.5 months, they are bound to get tired and perhaps a little burned out on occasion. That three-day break is well deserved. The season is a grind, even when they are winning.

In addition, just because they're not playing the game 8 hours per day does not mean they aren't at the park working on their game 8 hours per day. IIRC, they are required to arrive by 3 pm for a 7 pm game (4 hours prior to night games/3 hours prior to day games). I also doubt they're out of the clubhouse earlier than an hour after the game... probably longer. So yes, it does add up to about 8 hours a day... longer if they get to the park early (before 3) or the game goes into extra innings.

BTW, I'm not one of the Redszoners who wants LaRue gone. You will NEVER find that written by me on this board.

My rebuttal, so I need you to stick with me here....

Amazing how I was banned for baiting and your first post to me was not baiting? I wonder why that is? I was just stating the FACTS. You are trying to screw the FACTS to make it look better in your eyes. Of course the usual players are going to agree with you on here. That is not new.

You are skewing the numbers, the players we are talking about here show up around 21 Feb and then start workouts in a couple of days. So that right there is only 5 days in February. They actually start games in March or should I say spring training games. They also do not play every spring training game. They also get off 23 days throughout the year during regular season that are OFF DAYS.

If you add up the days off after not making the playoffs and the off days that equates to 5.5 months or 164 days. Now, this is not adding in the days they get off almost weekly or bi-weekly, well, just to get off or rest and I am sure this would come close to 6 months off after all of these days add up. Once again, what American JOB gets this type of time off?

Also, they do get around 6 months off, yea, not consecutively like you stated, but it does happen. On the time travel thing, that does not equate into the system. If that were the case each person that works and 8 hour job could possibly be working 10 hours or more a day.

The players coming in 3 hours prior to a game does not really mean they are actually playing or working out. I would say they are more than likely, maybe, stretching, taking batting practice, goofing off, signing autographs, etc... would you not agree? They are not steadily working out for 3 hours straight.

I should have said on the LaRue thing is I know you are not one of the ones that wanted LaRue gone, but you are one that stood up for him all the time and others now realize he was not worth all the money or hype that you and others so said about him. Is this not right or do you still think he is worth the money?

So you get banned and then return to the same argument that got you banned?

Anyway, I wanted to comment that many of the off days during the season are spent travelling. I know that doesn't take all day but I also know that I would probably take a full day off for travel after a week long business trip. Not to mention the overnight travelling that is often requied.

I do think that baseball players and athletes have it easy but that doesn't mean they don't have an excuse for getting warn out.

Human nature is to think your job is true hard work while many others have it easy.

That is, until you actually have to do that job. Then you quickly realize that no job is all fun and games. Every job has it's stresses, physical and psycological grinds and downsides.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Not even gonna read this thread lol

First of all if Jr aint being delt to a team thats in WS contention at the trade deadline he's not even gonna give 2 winks about the trade and deny it!!!! Therefore odds of him going anywhere b4 retirement are like 1/1000.

As for Dunn, Im pretty sure that when the Reds Delt Lopez AND Kearns.. they pretty much set thier sights on keeping Dunn around for a VERY LONG TIME!!

Thank you.. next question lol
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

I think this post wins the award for most uses of the word "frickin."
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?