Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick a fork in it....

Re: Stick a fork in it....

There's not done yet...

What I find interesting is that the Reds best month was April... before the majority of the trades took place. Isn't that strange?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    If I had to pick a moment when the wheels came off, it was that looooong game in Philly. EZ took two losses in less than 24 hours and hasn't seen daylight since. His demise hurt. For a stretch Elizardo was the bridge between Harang/Arroyo and the roster fodder pulling up the end of the rotation.

But no matter the parsing, its a .500 team, pre- and post-. We were running against the odds the whole way. I'm still curious as to why this team doesn't score more runs.
    We won 2 of 3 in that series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260811122
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260812122
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260813122
    Lizard did not lose two games in less than 24 hours because we came back in the game after Michalak held the Phillies for several innings. In fact, at the time, the moxy of the team and accolades of "never quitting" were being bandied about. Now, falling on hard times, they are just a bunch of loafing losers playing out the string. This was also post-trade and runs were still being scored at a similar rate as before the trade. It sure doesn't take long to start re-writing history.

The offense is not scoring because all but Rich Aurilia have been slumping for an extended period of time. Isn't it just possible that Lopez and Kearns would also be going through the team-wide funk? Of course, Griffey's putrid second half and Dunn slumping for over a month have little to do with the offense tanking. It's simply because we traded two streaky hitters in their own right.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-16-2006 at 10:38 AM.

I don't "feel it" anymore, which is bad, but I won't give up until the math tells me to.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Unless......
    Bucky Dent is activated and hits a HR over the Green Monster?!?!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    What I find interesting is that the Reds best month was April... before the majority of the trades took place. Isn't that strange?
    Actually no. Not sure what you mean exactly, TB. But we can look at trades...

(1) May 24: Dave Williams to NY Mets.
    >> I doubt that anyone here cared. No loss there.
    (2) May 31: Get Esteban Yan from ANA.
    >> Weak bullpen showing it's colors. Desparating trying after Belisle DL'ed. Didn't help, but didn't make a bad BP much worse either.
    (3) June 16: Juan Castro from MINN.
    >> Bad defense caused this one. Nothing much gained, nothing lost.
    (4) July 13: THE TRADE.

April = 17-8 record.
    May 1 to THE TRADE = 28-36 record.

Trades happened (THE TRADE) b/c the team was struggling. THE TRADE has been argued to death and I will not get into that b/c that is not the point of this post. The team's record has been better since THE TRADE than the 2+ months before THE TRADE, but neither stretch is playoff material (even in this year's weak NL).

In hindsight I lean towards a team that played over it's head in April. Just my opinion and not much factual info to back that up other than the record from May through THE TRADE.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Actually no. Not sure what you mean exactly, TB. But we can look at trades...

(1) May 24: Dave Williams to NY Mets.
    >> I doubt that anyone here cared. No loss there.
    (2) May 31: Get Esteban Yan from ANA.
    >> Weak bullpen showing it's colors. Desparating trying after Belisle DL'ed. Didn't help, but didn't make a bad BP much worse either.
    (3) June 16: Juan Castro from MINN.
    >> Bad defense caused this one. Nothing much gained, nothing lost.
    (4) July 13: THE TRADE.

April = 17-8 record.
    May 1 to THE TRADE = 28-36 record.

Trades happened (THE TRADE) b/c the team was struggling. THE TRADE has been argued to death and I will not get into that b/c that is not the point of this post. The team's record has been better since THE TRADE than the 2+ months before THE TRADE, but neither stretch is playoff material (even in this year's weak NL).

In hindsight I lean towards a team that played over it's head in April. Just my opinion and not much factual info to back that up other than the record from May through THE TRADE.
    Good post, I find that very interesting. A lot of us forget how much the team was struggling and how much we hated the bullpen up to the trade.

Now it just seems we need some small tweaking to have a solid team.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

The loss to the Cubs to end the 8 game winning streak was the turning point IMO.

Bases loaded, down 1, 9th inning. They don't score and then lose 8 of 9 or something like that. Who knows how many they might have won or whether that losing streak ever comes of even if the trade ever happens if they plate a run in that ninth inning.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    The loss to the Cubs to end the 8 game winning streak was the turning point IMO.

Bases loaded, down 1, 9th inning. They don't score and then lose 8 of 9 or something like that. Who knows how many they might have won or whether that losing streak ever comes of even if the trade ever happens if they plate a run in that ninth inning.
    Wow, I almost forgot about that. Lost 5 in a row with that being the first loss... and lost 8 of their next 9 games. The pitching coughed up 59 runs in those 9 games (the only win was a REDS shutout). That was also the day in which Edwin Encarnacion went on the DL with a twisted ankle.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If I had to pick a moment when the wheels came off, it was that looooong game in Philly. EZ took two losses in less than 24 hours and hasn't seen daylight since. His demise hurt. For a stretch Elizardo was the bridge between Harang/Arroyo and the roster fodder pulling up the end of the rotation.

But no matter the parsing, its a .500 team, pre- and post-. We were running against the odds the whole way. I'm still curious as to why this team doesn't score more runs.
    EZ took the extra inning loss, came back to get shelled the next day as well, but with Mighty Michalak on the mound, we won that game, won the next day and took the series.

IMO, the West Coast 10 game slaughter did us in.

It was a fun ride. I can not wait until next year. For the first time in a long long time, Reds fans have had something to be excited about in late August, early September.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I disagree with this. I don't think we were a .500 team before Wayne came aboard. .500 for this team is major improvement IMO... sadly.
    I meant pre- and post- ASB. I cautiously support Wayne.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    We won 2 of 3 in that series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260811122
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260812122
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260813122
    Lizard did not lose two games in less than 24 hours because we came back in the game after Michalak held the Phillies for several innings. In fact, at the time, the moxy of the team and accolades of "never quitting" were being bandied about. Now, falling on hard times, they are just a bunch of loafing losers playing out the string. This was also post-trade and runs were still being scored at a similar rate as before the trade. It sure doesn't take long to start re-writing history.

The offense is not scoring because all but Rich Aurilia have been slumping for an extended period of time. Isn't it just possible that Lopez and Kearns would also be going through the team-wide funk? Of course, Griffey's putrid second half and Dunn slumping for over a month have little to do with the offense tanking. It's simply because we traded two streaky hitters in their own right.

I forgot that we won that game but it did spell the end of EZ, and I think that was impactful. I'm not trying to re-write history. I don't put much into "moxie" and such, good teams can withstand hitting slumps with superior, or at least acceptable, pitching. EZ had a nice run, it would've been nice to see at last, but that was counting on too much.
    Last edited by Rojo; 09-18-2006 at 03:54 PM.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    IMO, the West Coast 10 game slaughter did us in.
    How could I forget? The wind went out of the sails in my town.

Turn Off Ads?