Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Could you hit an MLB fastball?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 42.98%
  • No

65 57.02%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could you hit a MLB fastball?

Believer since 1981

Re: Could you hit a MLB fastball?

LOL... didnt read all the way through, but you still lost? Have you ever beaten a Shelby County league team? Baseball or Basketball?
    Bowman Card Collector

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth View Post
    LOL... didnt read all the way through, but you still lost? Have you ever beaten a Shelby County league team? Baseball or Basketball?
    I don't think so, haha, but baseball has not been good before this year, our combined wins from the last 3 seasons before this one, were 6...this year we went 12-13 i think...we lost a couple we SHOULD'VE won.

But I bet we would kick you butt in football since we have been allowed to play it for 107 years, not just 2 or 3! lol
    Last edited by Sean_CaseyRules; 09-15-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Let's make some noise!

Believer since 1981

Fair enough, what is their one team in shelby county that plays football? Anna High School. Right? I dont live their anymore, but some things never change.
    Bowman Card Collector

Straight ball I hit very much, curveball bats are afraid. I could make contact after a few pitches. I wouldnt hit it hard or far but I would make contact.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I hit a few at 90 in the cages, but it took a heckuva a lot of quarters to get there. To echo, it is mostly timing. I started swinging when the ball appeared between the wheelie things and got lucky a couple of times.

WAGS

i was friends with a guy at the cages, and i got him to jack with the speed to go to 95-100, it took me about 10-15 minutes to get the timing down but i ended up hitting atleast two balls straight back up the middle.

of course i ended up hurting myself when making contact but it was fun

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

35+ think they can. Don't kid yourself. I like the spirit though. You gotta believe otherwise you have no chance. Not that you had one anyway.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth View Post
    Let's keep this one on topic please.

As for me, I would have a better chance of hitting the lottery than hitting a MLB fastball.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

No way. Absolutely no way would I even come close.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

A buddy of mine in college had access to a pitch and putt, because his girlfriend worked there. We used to hit on a machine that went 90. Always took me a few pitches but because of repetition I was pretty good at it in the controlled and septic batting cage.

I have no doubt that it would be impossible for me to hit one off a live pitcher. Too many variables.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

No. Especially in the scenario given. Maybe I would foul tip one after quite a bit of practice, but that would be about the best I could hope for.

Snowballs chance in hell that I hit one, gotta be honest. I'm in my late thirties and hitting at the batting cage with my daughter for softball (50 mph) is enough for me

I could make contact... eventually.

Probability of making an actual 'Hit' less than 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    35+ think they can. Don't kid yourself. I like the spirit though. You gotta believe otherwise you have no chance. Not that you had one anyway.
    I've seen some MLB quality pitching up close. I've hit against the 90 machines in the cage. There is no comparison from my experiences. In my younger days, I could hit the hard straight stuff and occasionally guess right on a curve ball, but it is tough when they are mixing it up real good. Timing, recognition and confidence have to be there. Add a guy with late movement on the fastball and you've got major problems.

At 45, I would have a real hard time catching up with the hard stuff. One evening at the fantasy camp that I attended after most everyone had left the complex,
    (had just turned 40) I (and a couple of other guys) had the pleasure of hitting off a Reds pitcher (who will remain nameless) who had gotten to camp early. When he was throwing nothing but fastballs, I felt pretty good about myself, but when he mixed it up a little, I was quickly reminded why I was at a fantasy camp. Filthy. Even the movement that some of the older guys still had made it very difficult to hit.

Oh, I could probably get one every now and then but it would be very difficult and I would be made to look very bad. The reflexes have to be totally there, and mine are not nearly as good as they once were. I'm gettng to the point where I don't think I would even try it. With age comes wisdom.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 09-16-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I've seen some MLB quality pitching up close. I've hit against the 90 machines in the cage. There is no comparison from my experiences.

Oh, I could probably get one every now and then but it would be very difficult and I would be made to look very bad. The reflexes have to be totally there, and mine are not nearly as good as they once were. I'm gettng to the point where I don't think I would even try it. With age comes wisdom.

Yep. Don't any of you guys who think you could hit a mlb heater quit your day jobs.

I've found that with every passing year, I was a better hitter in my playing days. Funny how that works.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?