Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Rant

My Rant

I posted this in the middle of today's game thread and it was suggested that I post it as a new thread. So I have reposted the pertinent parts here.

I'm very upset about the direction of the club for a number of reasons and am now going to subject all of you to the following rant.

1. The swelling in Griffey's toe should be gone. Pain or no pain he should be playing if the swelling is gone. I'm confident that they can find shoes/equipment to make it possible for him to play. I've seen him run to first this year, his toe problem can't possibly slow him down any more.

2. Playing baseball and being a professional baseball player are seperate things. I wish someone would tell this to Adam Dunn. Hitting the ball far comes easy to him. Hitting the ball consistently is something a professional works at 52 weeks a year.

3. Unless he is in the hospital, Ryan Freel should be playing every day the Reds are sniffing the playoffs.

4. Arroyo is right. A four man rotation was the way to go if you don't have a fifth horse.

5. The manager should not give up on his team when they are statistically in the hunt. Remember 1964? Further, a good manager finds a way to motivate his team when it gets tough.

6. This team isn't as bad as Paul Daugherty says it is. It just needs an attitude adjustment.

You can now return to your normal activites. Thank you for listening. I feel better.
    Win the Division

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: My Rant

May I call you Centralchamps07?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    only if it is a joke.

Team is old with not much talent, little immediate help in the minors and will only be able to compete in 2007 if the incompetence in the NL continues.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

3007??

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Not if present field management is still in place.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    3. Unless he is in the hospital, Ryan Freel should be playing every day the Reds are sniffing the playoffs.

6. This team isn't as bad as Paul Daugherty says it is. It just needs an attitude adjustment.

You can now return to your normal activites. Thank you for listening. I feel better.
    Freel is part of the problem, IMO. He's struggled all August and Sept. I can see why Narron is no longer enamored with him and wants to play other guys in the OF.

Sadly, I think this team is as bad as Daughtery says. I don't agree with all his comments, but a lot of them were right on the money. If we were in the AL Central, this team would've lost 90 games. Only the mediocrity of the Central and the unbalanced schedule kept us close to 500.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    I posted this in the middle of today's game thread and it was suggested that I post it as a new thread. So I have reposted the pertinent parts here.

I'm very upset about the direction of the club for a number of reasons and am now going to subject all of you to the following rant.

1. The swelling in Griffey's toe should be gone. Pain or no pain he should be playing if the swelling is gone. I'm confident that they can find shoes/equipment to make it possible for him to play. I've seen him run to first this year, his toe problem can't possibly slow him down any more.

2. Playing baseball and being a professional baseball player are seperate things. I wish someone would tell this to Adam Dunn. Hitting the ball far comes easy to him. Hitting the ball consistently is something a professional works at 52 weeks a year.

4. Arroyo is right. A four man rotation was the way to go if you don't have a fifth horse.

5. The manager should not give up on his team when they are statistically in the hunt. Remember 1964? Further, a good manager finds a way to motivate his team when it gets tough.

1. Have you ever tried to run on a dislocated anything? I know it's been 11 days, and I know Junior's not that fast anymore to begin with, but if you dislocate a toe, it's gonna be 2 weeks before you can run on that thing again. Are you saying it's Griffey's fault that the swelling is not down, Kremcheck's fault, or that Griffey's a slacker? It is what it is. Around here we all have come to understand that "day to day" means 2 weeks out.

2. Adam Dunn is not to blame for this team not making the playoffs. Adam Dunn, for all his flaws, has turned in a very Adam Dunn type of year. Why is that a surprise to us all here? He has produced far more than the man in #3...

3. Ryan Freel is no more than a 3-4 times a week player. He has proven that, over and over again, every time he has actually been counted on for production. He is no more than a very good 9th man; first off the bench. The fact that this team needed him to play everyday shows it's weakness, IMO.

4. Dusty Baker was the only guy in MLB who agreed with Bronson Arroyo. The day of the 4 man staff is over. Pitch counts, overused arms and advent of the MRI to help more easily identify shoulder and elbow injuries have buried the 4 man staff. Even in the World Series, some pitchers only go on every 5th day.

5. I agree with you, here, but has Narron waved the white flag yet?

6. I'm starting to think this team IS a lot worse than we think it is. The March prognostications were wrong all year- until mid September. Right now, this team is looking like one of the worst in the NL, to me. Plus, it's one of the oldest in baseball- only 5 teams have an average age older than the Reds do.
    Last edited by Always Red; 09-15-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Haunted by walks

I think Krivsky will scoop up the ones who didn't stick to the wall and throw them out, and keep the ones who did stick, like Schoenweiss and maybe Lohse. I think he's been operating on two tracks anyway: There's the early track of relatively cheap young talent like Phillips, Ross and Arroyo, which went very well, and the later track of desperately finding warm bodies for the bullpen, which didn't go well at all. My hope is that over the off-season we'll see more of the first and not much of the latter. He won't have to beg for cast-off relievers who can show up at the ballpark in time for the next game.

The big question will be how he sees the legacy players like Dunn and even Encarnacion. Thinking of Ross vs. Larue, is there a Minnesota-like outfielder he'd rather have than Dunn, or an infielder he'd rather have than Encarnacion? We go way back with these guys, but maybe he sees them as somebody else's toolsy infatuation, and what the team really needs is a cohesive group of boring, no-name, find-a-way-to-win Twins.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Freel is part of the problem, IMO. He's struggled all August and Sept. I can see why Narron is no longer enamored with him and wants to play other guys in the OF.

Sadly, I think this team is as bad as Daughtery says. I don't agree with all his comments, but a lot of them were right on the money. If we were in the AL Central, this team would've lost 90 games. Only the mediocrity of the Central and the unbalanced schedule kept us close to 500.
    Well, I agree on Freel. He's the kind of player who never gets a shot at starting in the bigs and he has been for us. His spastic behavior can produce some spectacular plays in the field, but he doesn't have a great arm and is prone to mistakes. He's pretty much a banjo hitter who thinks he's Maury Wills on the basepaths. He's not. He rarely comes through in clutch situations and never drives in runs--even for a leadoff hitter, his rbi's are low. I think Wayne could get something for him and I say go ahead.

Is this team bad? Yesiree. I agree, not as bad as he says, but still bad. The Reds desparately need a shortstop, power-hitting first baseman, and an outfielder. Believe it or not, they'll also need a catcher by mid-season next year, too. They need two starters and a couple of reliable arms in the bullpen who can throw 90+ and not 75+ (on 2nd thought, make that 3 starters). That's eight players and no one to trade but Dunn, Griffey, Freel, and junk.

I fear it will be a long 2007 unless Krivsky can perform miracles.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Dunn has absolutely no protection in this lineup, once he got into this slump he was pretty much at the mercy of every pitcher out their.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    3007??

That kind of pessimism is uncalled for. This franchise WILL win the Central some time in the next 100-200 years. Mark it down.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    That kind of pessimism is uncalled for. This franchise WILL win the Central some time in the next 100-200 years. Mark it down.
    Then go ahead and send me on "vacation" you mod, you.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?